What is the Point of 3D Flyover in Apple Maps?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by SomeDudeAsking, Oct 7, 2012.

1. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

I don't get why Apple touts the 3D flyover as a major feature for Apple Maps. What is it even useful for in day to day navigation where we just walk or drive? Why didn't Apple just do their own Streetview instead of focusing on eye candy?

2. irDigital0l Guest

Its kind obvious...

Its a tech demo that really has little purpose.

3. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

It's pretty. That matters a lot to iOS users.

4. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

5. el3ktro macrumors regular

el3ktro

It's not that much different than StreetView if you ask me. StreetView is fun to look at and you might really actually use it maybe a few times, but using it regularily for actual navigation? No. It's nice if you want to have a look at the neighborhood if you look for a new apartment or want to book a hotel etc. Same goes for Flyover: It's nice to look at, it's fun and it may help you once in a while to check out a new neighborhood or your holiday destination.

6. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

I've used Google's Streetview numerous times to see how the actual store or location I'm going to looks like. It makes it so much easier to find where you are going since you will recognize it from the Streetview pictures.

I can't say I recall the last time I went flying like Superman and needed a bird's eye view to navigate.....

7. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

It's 3D satellite view. We live in a 3D world after all.

8. urkel macrumors 68030

Superheroes use iPhones too you know. Spider-Man, Superman and Iron Man love 3D flyover. Captain America is indifferent (He misses the subway maps)

9. matttye macrumors 601

I used to use street view to get a feel for new routes before I went driving to new places when I hadn't passed my driving test for very long.

10. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

What is Google Earth's Mars view for? "What is it even useful for in day to day navigation where we just walk or drive?":D

11. JS82712 macrumors 6502a

JS82712

Streetview gets outdated over time, stores don't last forever, buildings in big cities change.
    3D on the other hand, gives a wider view of the specific things that you are looking for.

If it bothers you so much, just use the street view web app, or switch to android. We've had thousands of threads like this already, no need for another one.

12. 617aircav Suspended

Why would you want a wider view, if you are looking for a specific thing. Flyover is eye candy to play with, not even close to being as useful as street view.

13. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

That's Google Earth, not Google Maps. They are for two completely different purposes. Are you saying that Apple doesn't even know one is for scientific exploration and the other is for day to day navigation?

14. VTECaddict macrumors 6502

Your argument makes no sense. You point out shortcomings of Street View, yet your "on the other hand" counterpoint doesn't show how Apple Maps 3D Flyover addresses those issues, but rather changes the whole topic.

Besides, those very same short comings (getting outdated) will be a problem for Apple 3D maps too. If anything, they are even less accurate than possibly outdated Street View images because the 3D is computer generated and not actual images.

You're basically saying...Google's maps will get outdated. But ooh look, pretty 3D! Wheee!

Exactly. I want to see what the store front looks like for this new restaurant I want to go. Lets not look at a Street View image of the actual store front. Let's look at a 3D map of a 1 mile radius of the area from 2000 feet in the air instead.

3D flyover is much less useful than street view in terms of navigating and searching for something. It's fun to play with, sure. But not practical.

15. PrometheusGeek macrumors regular

I think it's not as useful as StreetView was in Google, but I still use it. It's helpful to me in an unfamiliar city to get a birds-eye view of the area I'm in or going to be in. It helps me familiarize myself with city layouts, streets, buildings, neighborhoods, etc, so that while I'm there it all feels less foreign. Even with specific locations that StreetView was helpful to identify precisely, the 3D flyover mode can get close, giving me a look at the buildings themselves so I know generally what they look like. Biggest downfall is that it's not available in nearly as many places as StreetView. Still, it's useful for what it is

16. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Then explain why this is in Google Maps and how you would use for day to day navigation? :eek:

[​IMG]

17. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

That was added because it's a ding dong war with Apple so Apple loyalists won't complain about Google missing some eye candy feature. Most of those flyovers in Google Maps were only added recently just to show that Google can do it better. You don't actually use flyovers for navigation, unlike what Apple would lead you to believe.

18. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Really? I don't remember Apple saying that.

Quote from Apple...all they say about it..

"See select major metro areas from the air with photo-realistic, interactive 3D views. Explore cities in high resolution as you zoom, pan, tilt, and rotate around the city and its landmarks"

19. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

3D view of neighbourhoods definitely gives you a better idea of how buildings/blocks layout, compared to a flat overhead view by satellite.

Though yes, you really only need lines and street names if your main focus is just navigating from point to point.

20. JS82712 macrumors 6502a

JS82712

Yawn, so Mr. Fandroid-in-disguise, what are you doing here, I'm sure you should be enjoying your 'butter-smooth' green robot full of beans. :rolleyes:

----------

He's just mad because google's 3D demo crashed and it was too embarrassing for fandroids to handle.

21. thomamon macrumors 6502a

thomamon

LOL, great post!!! I could never figure out why anyone would use that, unless they like flight simulators.

22. Edslunch macrumors member

Right now they're mostly eye candy but there is potential for something interesting if they could provide a bit better street level resolution and actually let you drive through the model.

I like street view but actually find it's interface for moving down the street really sucks - they using more of a VR driving approach would be better

23. bigjobby, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012

bigjobby macrumors 65816

Flyover and StreetView are VERY different. I certainly wouldn't use StreetView for car navigation but it can certainly help in preparing for trips or when you're a tad lost in urbanised areas, particularly on foot. Maps just cannot give you views at such a micro level as StreetView.

Maps is very nice eye-candy but StreetView has way more practical value.

24. realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

You can see 3D flyover views in Apple Maps even though you are not a Spiderman. What a wonderful world! Isn't it?

25. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I've said it in another thread.

Go to Rome and take a look around in 3D. Its mind blowing and very educational. I've been to Rome a few times and to see it in 3D and being able to see what behind or even in between closed buildings is amazing.