What is the point of having access to NC from banner alerts?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Campbellot, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Campbellot macrumors member

Campbellot

Hi folks. Could someone postulate why we need to have a tab that accesses NC during a banner alert? Unless this is a precursor to instant response I don't see the point of it.

Thoughts?

2. Soundflunky macrumors regular

3. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I was wondering the same thing. In my experience if I'm tapping on a banner it's because I want to open that particular item, be it an email, a text message, or whatever. To each his own I suppose, but I don't see the point either.

4. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

It does.

5. fivedots macrumors 6502a

I agree that this is where we will eventually see quick reply, whether that is in iOS 7 or 8. They've already started with actionable items in NC with Reminders.

6. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

For me I like being able to read 5 lines of an e-mail from the notification center without marking it as "read". The banner only does 1 line of text.

7. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

It's a perfect fit for the way I use it. I have previews turned off for iMessage, so when I get a new message I can pull down NC, read it and if I don't want/can't reply right away I can just return to the app I was previously using. I think it's brilliant.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

It also shows previous notifications that might be relevant/related and give a better context to the latest one--if you got an email reply from someone and there was an earlier one or even a few from a few minutes ago or something like that, you could see the additional ones in notification center when you pull down.

The ability to do this was always there actually, even in iOS 6, if not even before.

9. pottyvick macrumors regular

This is how i use it... i like it so hope it sticks around.

10. Rosh macrumors member

When receiving multiple messages at once, in group conversations or from a single message, the ability to pull down and view all messages without opening the app.

This feature was available for ios 6 but not during the previous betas of ios7

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

It was there in previous iOS 7 beta versions too, just worked a bit differently (in the sense of how exactly you could pull down the notification center from the banner alert) in at least a couple of them.

12. nikicampos macrumors 6502a

There are many reasons that people could tell you, and all are ok, including me, the group thing is one, receiving multiple messages, but, what I don't see a point for, is the little tab, seeing that little tab every time I get a notification it's so annoying, also hate the tabs in the lock screen.

Perhaps they should give us the option to not show the tabs just like they did in beta 5 with the ability to show on/off on the green toggles in Settings.app

13. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

Beat me to it. This is what I use it for too. It's great.

What's cool about it is when the iMessage notification appears on screen, if you tap and hold on it while pulling down slightly, it will reveal the text of the message.

14. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this in iOS 6 too? I know it showed messages as banners, and it would open NC when you pulled it. Am I missing something here?

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yeah, as I recall, this was/is in iOS 6 (and perhaps even earlier) too.

16. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

That's right. However in previous betas pulling down the notification was tricky. You had to get it just right in the middle bottom of the notification bubble or just dismiss it and then pull down the NC from the top.