What is the point of new dock connector?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Faux Carnival, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Faux Carnival macrumors 6502a

If it is not faster, (as far as we know no USB 3.0) WHAT THE HELL ON EARTH is the point?

2. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

Honestly, I have no idea. They never mentioned anything in the keynote about the new connector having quicker transfer speeds, or charge speeds.

3. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Internal real estate; overall form factor; usability (reversible) also.

4. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

5. Savage macrumors 6502

Savage

Now they can sell adaptors to fit all your crap and make tons of extra money. :rolleyes:

6. NastyNoble macrumors newbie

iThink its there for you to buy a new accessory and purchase more products. its smart on apples part because your not going to want to buy a new car charger so you buy the 30 pin adapter for the new dock connector. as you can see its the wave of the future all of the products released today are for the new dock connector

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Smaller.

And before you say "I don't care," trust me, TONS of people on this board say "give me a bigger battery" every single year. A lot of folks enjoy every little thing that lets them make the battery as large as possible.

8. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

I have to agree there.

Conspicuously, they did not state any pricing for adapters nor 9pin cables. We heard the rumors here that Apple will be the sole vendor at $10 and $29 respectively. They were very quiet about that.

Like you said, this is a LOT of money in their wallet if they force everyone to buy cables and adapters through them.

Of course, the manufacturers of compatible products will get to see everything all over again.

9. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

You want to fit more stuff in a small package, you shrink the size of parts.

Not rocket science...

10. dgstan macrumors 6502a

I'll bet you that Apple does tons of warranty replacements due to the 30-pin connector failing. The new one should remedy that issue.

11. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

This this this this this this

----------

They could have done this years ago with microUSB.... :rolleyes:

12. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Basically it's an optimized connector for charging and syncing. The 30 pin connector was clunky and full of pins for things that aren't even relevant anymore. A smaller connector takes up less room in the device and it looks like they've come up with a better connector design.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Apple would never use microusb like everyone else. They want you to buy their stuff.

14. wtmk81 macrumors member

That was pretty damn funny.

15. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

First and foremost, real estate. They needed to design a smaller connector for the future of thinner devices. Before you quickly jump to "they could've used microUSB!", one of the better things about Lightning is the reversibility. No more trying to figure out which way the cable goes in.

In terms of connectivity, USB 3 and Thunderbolt will come in time. Right now they are focused on delivering content via iCloud, so faster transfer speeds via wire probably aren't the highest priority. You can decide for yourself what is better, but that is their strategy.

16. Nanker/Phelge macrumors regular

This. Have you ever looked at the pinout for the 30-pin dock connector? It still houses pins for very outdated tech like FireWire, S-Video, etc..

However, I would have liked to have seen USB 3.0 connectivity. No sure if I agree with "Lightning" if it's stuck on USB 2.0.

17. Faux Carnival thread starter macrumors 6502a

This was a pretty good headshot. :rolleyes:

18. flyguy206 macrumors 6502a

I'm shocked they did not do this with the new ipad first

19. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Is that why so many phones with microUSB have another port as well? A lot have some sort of micro/mini HDMI, and some have their own docking connector to provide things like video and audio output.

20. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

Doesn't mean there can't be a standard that does all these things and is on all phones including the iPhone.

21. Stetrain macrumors 68040

So is Apple supposed to come up with that standard and try to get others to support it? Or are they supposed to not release a new phone until such a standard is developed?

22. MEJHarrison macrumors 6502

I wish you could just buy an adapter with Lightning at one end and micro-USB at the other end. I live in a house FULL of micro-USB chargers. Would love a simple adapter for that.

23. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

because it would not fit in the iphone 5's body. to make the phone thinner and smaller, so would the dock connector.

24. Skika macrumors 68030

Quoted for truth. Disregard the cynical and negative posts. Will the change make Apple money? Yes. Is this the main or only reason they did it? NO.
    The previous port has been around for almost 10 YEARS. Its only reasonable for it to change considering the technology advancement . And also, Apple has been really good in this regard. 10 years of supporting one connector? Most of the other companies change their connectors MUCH faster.

25. ohio.emt macrumors 6502a

IMHO even if it was USB 3.0 I don't think it would change the speed. I don't think the current iPhone transferred data at USB 2.0 speeds. At least the cable always seem really slow to me.