What is the ppi of the rumored 4" wide screen iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by saintforlife, Jul 24, 2012.

1. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

Anybody do the math on the new 4" longphone? Is it still going to be 326 ppi?

2. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

3. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Rumors suggest that they are keeping the ppi the same and adding extra resolution to cover the extended area of the screen.

Of course, we won't know anything until it's demonstrated at the Keynote.

4. saintforlife thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know it is not going to happen, but I so badly was looking forward to some width increase to go with the length increase. Typing on the iPhone keyboard in portrait mode sucks balls. I haven't gotten a hang of it even after 4 years. This coming from someone who is a touch typist on the computer. I never look at the keyboard when I am typing in my laptop. It is my biggest gripe with the iPhone.

5. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

326 ppi

6. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

7. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Aspect ratio & ppi aside, this should be very nice, if not a bit small. :)

8. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

back to the whole size thing....going from an iphone to an s3/nexus and then back to the iphone....i prefer the smaller size and think 4 will be perfect :)

9. blufire95 macrumors member

I still don't see any advantages of such a display....can anybody name a few besides watching videos?
    There are so many disadvantages and problems, especially with Apps.

10. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

40% larger display area for all content...

11. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

all you do is post negative stuff about iphone... i smell a ban coming very soon. Just like calidude, omega, 404 tech junkie, etc etc..

enjoy it while your here

12. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Didn't sound like a negative comment to me.

13. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I believe it will be a very nice display, after all most Apple displays are excellent.

Advantages? Frankly there are none of interest to me.

The aspect ratio is odd, although I know why they are promoting it.

I've chosen to get into acceptance about Apple's choice, even though it locks me out of buying a new iPhone for the very first time since the first generation.

I simply cannot put up with such a small narrow display, and that's a tough call. I really want a new iPhone, but if I voted with my money and bought one, I would be supporting a form factor of little use to me.

Thankfully my 4.8" Samsung Galaxy S III has modern size, gorgeous display. It will certainly be a nice substitute until Apple decides to give a future iPhone a spacious display.

The Android OS has made great strides and is far better than the early days. I'm more than happy with this one till the SGS IV is released next year.

Just for fun I also ordered a Nexus from Google Play. So between those two and my iPhone 4S, I'll have enough smartphone variety to keep things interesting.

14. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I think 4.8 is ridiculous.

Was chatting with a guy yesterday with an Evo and I really thought 4.3" would be the ideal size. His hands were larger than mine but not much and he said he could hit all corners with a single hand.

I think anything above 4.3 is entering into "marketechture" land. I've got a tablet so I'm not going to watch a whole lot of video content on my phone.

I think it's likely that the iPhone expands beyond 4" but in order for that to happen Apple needs to get more developers using tools that will allow more flexibility in how apps map to different screens.

Also I see docks diminishing in focus and Airplay becoming more prevalent so that the width of the phone doesn't have to remain constrained because of so many dock accessories.

15. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

That's the beauty of choices. Whatever size you like, has no effect on me. :)

16. mjpearce023 macrumors 6502

I agree. To be honest if the S3 had a 4.3 inch display I would probably have one already. I think 4.8” is just too big for me personally. The iPhone at 4" would probably be the closest I can find to my ideal size but I'm not feeling the widescreen aspect at this point. I would have to have it in my hand to make a decision though. I could end up liking it or I could end up hating it or Apple could end up tricking us and come out with a 4" display with the same aspect ratio.

17. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

You're stating a fact...Not necessarily an advantage. I cannot stand giant displays on phones. And unless it was ur primary Internet source, its really not needed.

18. amps macrumors member

Remote Desktop support. SSH/Telnet sessions. Reading docs. Maps.

19. Furifo macrumors 6502

Guys, I've owned a 4.65" galaxy nexus and while I enjoyed the nice display, the size got on my nerves a little. I'd say that I have average sized hands and I felt that it was just a tad too big especially when using it one handed.

Although, that's just my opinion. I know people including a couple of girls with smaller hands than me who enjoy using a 4.5"+ phone on a day to day basis.

For my uses - calls, texts, whatsapp, twitter, facebook, surfing the web + youtube on the go and playing music, a 4" phone is perfect. Even the current 3.5" display is still pretty decent for me. For heavier surfing/video watching while sitting down, I've got my iPad.

20. skidbubble macrumors 6502

At least with a taller screen, you will be able to slingshot your Angry Birds much, much farther now. The extra .5" of screen heighth translates into increased airtime for the birds.

21. bri1212 macrumors 6502

Finally somebody who knows what is truly important!!!:D