What is the procedure for switching iPad and iPod from PC to new MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nelegance, Mar 23, 2013.

1. nelegance macrumors newbie

I'm buying a MacBook Pro for school and I'm wonder what I have to do to switch my iPod Classic and iPad 2 from my old PC to this new MacBook. I know I have to wipe out my iPod and start over but will iTunes on the MacBook do this (reconfigure it) automatically for me or is there more complicated steps?
    Also, what will happen to my iPad when I plug it into my MacBook? Will it be wiped clean or can I keep my files? Will it just do a backup to put the files into iTunes or will I have to do this manually (somehow save the backup from my PC and transfer it to the MacBook)?

Sorry about all the questions!

2. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

You do not have to wipe out your iPod/iPad, providing you do everything correctly.

1. Navigate to the /Music/iTunes folder on your PC
    2. Copy the contents of this folder and paste to a flash drive/hard drive/etc
    3. Paste the contents of this folder to the Music/iTunes folder on your new MacBook

If your music is also in your iTunes folder, the above steps are all it will take to switch your devices over to your new Mac. Your library will be set up the same and all loaded music/movies/playlists will appear exactly as they did on your PC.

However, if your music/movies, etc are not in the iTunes folder, you will have to relocate them.

Since this method keeps the library file the same, your iPad/iPod will not know that it's a new computer since it only recognizes different libraries and there will be no question of wiping your devices and starting fresh with the new MacBook.

Hope this is clear enough :eek: