Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
I have a 17" studio display and i was just wondering how one would clean it. I dont want to ruin or leave streaks or scratches on it and gentle wiping wont get some of the markings off. Does anyone know the best way to clean it?

Vector

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2002
i have always used alcohol on crt and lcd displays and it cleans dirt and anything else off. it hasn't ruined any of my screens yet and i have been doing it for a while.

whatever you do don't use any normal household cleaners as many will strip off coatings (i know this is the case on crt displays and is likely true with lcd displays). i know someone who used windex on a crt once and it ate away at the coating on the screen and left little marks everywhere from where the droplets landed.

Waluigi

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2003
Connecticut
They sell generic 'screen cleaners' whipes at most electronics/supply stores. Vector is absolutely correct in saying not to use any common household cleaners, because they will cause damage.

--Waluigi

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I have been using iKlear on my 17" CRT. It is now 3 years old. Just recently noticed irregular clear areas at the bottom of the screen. What would have caused this damage? Will it cause any problems?

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by Waluigi
They sell generic 'screen cleaners' whipes at most electronics/supply stores. Vector is absolutely correct in saying not to use any common household cleaners, because they will cause damage.

--Waluigi

Will it work on an apple flat screen and not a crt? Is there anything i can use household that wont damage my screen. Its not that dirty i feel like i can do a pretty good job just moistening a towel and wiping down with that. Is that the wrong thing to do? I really just want an easy way to clean it without buying any special cleaning supply. Can i do so?

iDave

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2003
I use water & vinegar, mixed about 8:1 in an old window cleaner spray bottle. It gets stuff off and doesn't streak. Use sparingly and be sure to use a soft cotton cloth or handkerchief, not any paper products.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
if you really want to play it safe, i'd say use specially made 'screen cleaning' cloth, or kit.

and if they stuff up your screen you can always sue them! :p :D

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
i use alochol if my screen is really dirty otherwise i use a lint-free clother and water on my powerbooks LCD, I got the lint free cloth from http://www.radtech.us incase thats kid of what you were looking for.

fraeone

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2003
Seattle, WA
I use rubbing alcohol for my LCDs. I use rubbing alcohol because that's what they display makers use in the factory before shipping them out.

fraeone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.