What is the purpose of wireless AC with an iPhone or iPad?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Crashster, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Crashster macrumors newbie

I am just curious about using wireless AC with an iPhone or iPad. I'm still new to this, but from what I can tell AC is better for bandwidth, but it has a shorter range. That sounds like it would be great for computers that are moving large files over a network, but for small consumption devices like the iPhone and iPad, would AC help at all?

2. tjwilliams25 macrumors 6502

The only thing that makes it really nice, for me at least, is the fact that it uses beamforming techniques. That means that yes, the range may be shorter, but you get a stronger signal because the base station knows where you are and boosts the signal in your direction. Also, I can't speak for the other new routers that use ac out there, but I use the new ac Time Capsule and it fluidly switches between bands depending on device needs. When I get to the edge of ac coverage it automatically switches to a stronger n signal.

So, in essence, ac has allowed Apple to make smarter and faster base stations.

3. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

It makes no difference if you are using it for laptops or mobile devices - it's all about the bandwidth.
    Wifi will top out well before 1Gbe cable based ethernet. So i use wifi for just my mobile device and all other devices are hard wired to allow for better performance.