What is the quality of the video's coming from iTunes?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by betapaul, Apr 8, 2008.

1. betapaul macrumors newbie

I'd like to know what the quality is of the video's coming from iTunes, obviously. If no one knows, then how to I get video's that I have to look THAT good on the iPhone. It's upsetting me that I can't make my video's look that clear. Thanks.

2. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

Hi. What software are you using? What kind of computer are you using (Windows, Mac)? What is your source for the video (DVD, etc)? If you want your question answered, you'll need to put in a little more information.

3. betapaul thread starter macrumors newbie

My question was "What is the quality of the video's coming from iTunes?" None of the questions you asked matter so far. I'll get whatever computer I need, get the video from whatever source I need, and purchase whatever software that can make video's that nice once I know what the quality is.

Maybe I should be more clear. What is the resolution on the video's purchased from iTunes that one puts on the iPhone? What's the framerate? All the technical stuff. That's what I want to know.

Thanks!

4. infowarfare macrumors 6502

Wow, Sonicjay was just trying to help and some of those questions he asked could be relevant to what you are trying to do. More importantly, if you weren't so lazy and just did a simple Google search yourself, you would have come up with numerous results, the very top one being from the Wiki on iTunes that states:

I hope THAT helps.

5. betapaul thread starter macrumors newbie

That does help, but did the resolution remain the same when the iPhone came out in June of 2007? Just trying to make sure it's the right specs. I wasn't lazy and I did find that smarty pants, but that doesn't tell me the resolution of the video's put on the iPhone. If it is the same, then awesome. I was just trying to get a finite answer. Thanks for your help.

6. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Well you should know that 640x480 is higher than the resolution used on the iPhone, so it's as good as it can possibly look.
    And I believe with h.264 encoding default framerate is 24 FPS. I could be wrong though.

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Dear God stop making "videos" possessive before my head pops open.

8. betapaul thread starter macrumors newbie

They ARE possessive. They possess the knowledge that apparently no one has. The knowledge of their specs. I could guess or get close to the specs, but I wanted to know FOR SURE. Sorry if this was too much to ask. I appreciate everyone's help. Thanks JBaker122586 for your input, but I still would like to know exactly what the specs are without any guesswork involved. If no one knows for sure, then it's fine.

9. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

the lowest quality i have seen is from the pod casts which are general 240p. next level up are the tv shows which come in 400-540p then there are the movies which bottom out at around 420i and top off at an advertised 720p

10. infowarfare macrumors 6502

Wow, you know what, you are beginning to sound like a troll.

This isn't rocket science; you have all the specs you need to make/transfer/encode a video to look good on the iPhone. I have done it numerous times with the specs I have previously given you. It's not that it's too much to ask, it's that a simple search by you would have found the answer quickly and easily and even with the answers people have given you here, you're STILL not satisfied!

11. pflau macrumors 6502

Use H.264 compression. You need to encode using H.264 compression and your video quality would be as good as if not better than that of the iTunes videos.

12. betapaul thread starter macrumors newbie

Why are you being so rude? Read the thread title. I'm not a troll. I want to know the specs of the videos that are downloaded FROM iTunes. I appreciate the input on how to make MY videos look that good, but I still wanted a for sure 100% positive answer on the exact specs of the iTunes vids. If you can't answer that question, then don't waste my time with your rude posts. I could have gotten any of the info you've given me from googling. What I can't find is the exact specs. Sorry if you dont know either...not a big deal.

13. nick9191 macrumors 68040

The iPhone screen is 320 x 480, so what does it matter the quality on itunes, thats what its going to be on the iPhone. Or am I missing something?

14. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Exactly. As someone above pointed out, the minimum a downloaded video comes in at is 400 horizontal lines. The iPhone only has 320 horizontal lines, so its resolution is maxed.

15. infowarfare macrumors 6502

Why are you not using what was already given to you?

And I gave you the specs of the videos that are downloaded FROM iTunes. Here they are yet again in case you missed it:

The resolution of video content sold on the iTunes Store was increased from 320x240 (QVGA) to 640x480 (VGA). The higher resolution video content is encoded as 1.5 Mbit/s (minimum) Protected MPEG-4 video (H.264) with a minimum 128 kbit/s AAC audio track.

Maybe YOU are not being clear and wasting everyone else's time. What more EXACT specs do you need exactly that is preventing you from using the specs that I and others have already given you? Your EXACT original post stated:
    ...and I gave you the EXACT answer you would need to make YOUR videos look as good as the ones coming from iTunes as per your original request.

And the first person to respond to you (Sonicjay) asked additional questions of you, just in case, which YOU so rudely told him in a condescending tone:
    So, now, it has been answered every-which-way possible, you refuse to give us additional information so we may help you to your EXACTNESS... and you are wondering why I am being rude?:confused:

:rolleyes:

16. gothamm macrumors 6502a

its a good thing you are still in "beta"...paul.

in your next revision, you should learn basic social skills....like you know...politeness n' sh*t, biatch!

17. betapaul thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome. I was just wanting someone to stand firm on the specs released in 09/06. If they haven't changed anything since this update then my question has been answered flawlessly. You're all geniuses in my book.

I'll make sure to expect sarcasm, short fuses, and overall distaste for newcomers with straightforward questions next time I visit the forums.

/peace