What is the "Right direction" to hold the iPhone to take pictures?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dontwalkhand, Oct 18, 2012.

1. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I know that iOS adapts the camera to any direction that you hold it, and the Mac knows what to do with them just fine.

But when I use the iOS 6 "direct upload" features on my new iPhone 5, for some reason, it will either upload upside down, or sideways, especially on Craigslist.

What can I do to get it to upload the right direction? Which way should I hold the camera?

2. DayOfChaos macrumors 6502

Incoming 'holding it wrong jokes' in three....two...

3. dotme macrumors 6502a

4. pnoyblazed macrumors 6502a

5. Michael Anthony macrumors regular

Whatever you do, for the love of god don't hold it vertical if you're taking video. Whenever I see that, I basically go like so:
    [​IMG]

6. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Volume buttons up.

Why?

Press the volume up button in the Camera app.

7. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Ding! Ding! We have a winner. Also, no vertical like the above poster said.

8. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Nope. That's what adds to the confusion. The volume buttons need to be down, home button to the right or the pics will be upside down when uploaded or viewed on a PC. That puts the shutter release on the bottom of the camera/phone and forces you to use your thumb to take the shot.

By the way, using the volume button to take a pic causes the camera to shake sometimes blurring the shot. A problem. Using the on screen release button lets you hold the button down and release it to take a much steadier shot.

9. Bahroo macrumors 68000

Uhm in whatever way your hand doesnt get in the picture

10. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Seriously. Why do they keep putting the camera so close to the edge? I always end up getting a finger in there if I am not paying attention.

11. darster Suspended

12. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Landscape ; home button on the right

The idea of using the volume button as means of shutter button is stupid. It's flawed because the camera lens will be put on the bottom.

13. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

14. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

This wasn't the issue at hand. The issue is that craigslist puts all my pictures sideways, and upside down.

15. teamjaycub macrumors 6502

I think the problem is when you turn you iPhone, you don't let it "know" you rotated it.

Make sure you don't have to turn your head to read the flash and options buttons. The text of the button should always be the right way. This will prevent pictures from being upside down or sideways.

16. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I do, do that. The iPhone and the Mac displays the images fine, it's Craigslist and other sites that I upload directly to from iOS that I have trouble with.

17. Kenjhee macrumors regular

The iPhone manual itself, and screenshots on Apple.com, seem to show landscape with the Home button on the left side. http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/photo-stream.html

Attached Files:

18. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

I know what you're talking about and I think it's an intermittent bug. I have to open the pic on my computer in something like irfanView (which will open it right-side up every time) and then save the photo (even if you've already saved it just save it again with the same name while open in irfanView.) The net effect is that the photo will then always be turned in the proper direction for viewing when you upload it.

I don't know of any app on the iPhone which will allow for this for the simple reason that the iPhone will always make the visual correction for you when you're viewing pix on the device. You don't realize that you have a problem until, like you said, you see the photo posted somewhere else. :(

----------

Maybe that person is a lefty. Also, showing the picture of the hand positioned in that way is more aesthetically pleasing.

19. Kenjhee macrumors regular

The manual also shows that orientation.

Attached Files:

20. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

I'm not arguing. It's just that pose lends itself nicely to a printed ad photo (in the manual, too.) :)

It also allows for the labeling of functions to be in the most important order first (i.e. button to push for taking photo comes first.)

21. Kenjhee macrumors regular

I'm not arguing either, just pointing out. You're right, it does photograph well that way.

22. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Yay! We're in agreement - a rare thing sometimes in these forums. ;)

23. Generik777 macrumors regular

Generik777

I love you guys.:)

24. Kenjhee macrumors regular

Group Internet hug ensues! Apple products...bringing people together.