What is the safest way to disinfect an iphone?

dryice589

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
81
0
My wife is a nurse and has been wiping her phone down everyday with 70% alcohol. I was worried at first, but after two years I do not notice any adverse effects.
 

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
1,210
379
My wife is a nurse and has been wiping her phone down everyday with 70% alcohol. I was worried at first, but after two years I do not notice any adverse effects.

I use the same. Gently wipe with a clean cloth damp with 70% Isopropyl alcohol.

Kills most harmful bacteria and viruses, yet evaporates leaving little to no residue.
 

freeskier93

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
321
68
Isopropyl is safe for electronics, it's what we use to squirt down PCBs to remove flux and other oils. Not sure what it will do to the oleophobic coating though.
 
Last edited:

avalys

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2004
299
23
An autoclave should take care of it nicely.

Wait: did you mean safe for you, or for the phone?
 

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
652
180
I use the same. Gently wipe with a clean cloth damp with 70% Isopropyl alcohol.

Kills most harmful bacteria and viruses, yet evaporates leaving little to no residue.
Actually alcohol does not kill bacteria. Studies have shown that certain bacteria, including harmful ones, can survive and even thrive in isopropyl alcohol up to 95%. It is mainly used to clear away and dissolve debris.
 

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
1,210
379
70% Isopropyl is more effective than 95%. Water is needed to get the alcohol to move into the bacteria.

No one chemical will kill everything, but isopropyl will disinfect enough IMO.
 

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
719
1,689
Unless you have some hideous immuno-deficiency disease, ust get over it. OCD people who disinfect everything are helping add to the problem of antibiotic resistant bacteria. Let your immune system deal with it.
 

HarryWild

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2012
1,540
396
If you just purchased it then:

Give it back to Apple within the 14 day purchase! LOL!

Safest!

Then buy a new one in a few days or few hours afterwards.

New is safest was to disinfect an iPhone! Easiest too!
 

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
1,210
379
Unless you have some hideous immuno-deficiency disease, ust get over it. OCD people who disinfect everything are helping add to the problem of antibiotic resistant bacteria. Let your immune system deal with it.

No, it's over-prescription of antibiotics that is causing bacterial resistance. A quick wipe-down with alcohol will not cause bacteria to evolve resistance to first and second line antibiotics. The mechanism of action is different.

You should not use any chemical on the screen. You'll take off the oleophobic coating.

I think that scrubbing and abrasion degrades the coating. A gentle wipe down with a clean cloth should be safe.

I use a screen protector, so it's a bit of a moot point for me.
 

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
719
1,689
No, it's over-prescription of antibiotics that is causing bacterial resistance. A quick wipe-down with alcohol will not cause bacteria to evolve resistance to first and second line antibiotics. The mechanism of action is different.




I think that scrubbing and abrasion degrades the coating. A gentle wipe down with a clean cloth should be safe.

I use a screen protector, so it's a bit of a moot point for me.
OK, so saying they become resistant to antibiotics was an error. But over use of disinfectants will lead to bacteria becoming resistant to antimicrobial agents. Which, if you exchange "antibiotics" for "antibacterials" the method of bacteria becoming resistant is the same.

Just for a brief example: Disinfecting Wipes May Spread, Not Kill, Germs


"We use way too many antibacterial agents," Duberg said, adding that the overuse of products like wipes, soaps and cleansers that contain these substances can lead bacteria to become resistant to our methods of extermination.
Disinfectants Cause Some Bacteria to Adapt, Thrive

You aren't going to catch Anthrax from not sanitizing your phone. Within minutes it will be just as dirty again. Just get on with life and let your body deal with it. I'm a farmer and have lost count of how many times my face has been splattered with cow ****. Haven't had a day off work sick for 7 years (when I tore a ligament in my foot).
 

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
1,210
379
What is the safest way to disinfect an iphone?

OK, so saying they become resistant to antibiotics was an error. But over use of disinfectants will lead to bacteria becoming resistant to antimicrobial agents. Which, if you exchange "antibiotics" for "antibacterials" the method of bacteria becoming resistant is the same.



Just for a brief example: Disinfecting Wipes May Spread, Not Kill, Germs









Disinfectants Cause Some Bacteria to Adapt, Thrive



You aren't going to catch Anthrax from not sanitizing your phone. Within minutes it will be just as dirty again. Just get on with life and let your body deal with it. I'm a farmer and have lost count of how many times my face has been splattered with cow ****. Haven't had a day off work sick for 7 years (when I tore a ligament in my foot).

Again, alcohol is different than other disinfectants.

Alcohol damages the proteins in bacteria cell walls, which causes collapse and death. It attacks the fundamental chemistry of what makes a bacteria a bacteria. Bacteria can't evolve out of it any more than people can genetically evolve out of being killed by poison gas.

People drank booze for centuries because the alcohol content made it much safer than water, at least until modern sanitation techniques eliminated most bacteria in water supplies of industrialized nations. After all those countless centuries, bacteria can still easily be killed by alcohol. There are exceptions… spores can escape.
 
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.