Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frobi One

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2011
Chippenham Wilts UK
Hi,

For work I need to run some simple software that is only available in Windows. I only have a 251GB SSD, so am looking to have the smallest windows install possible in Parallels.

Anyone know that that might be ? Also any tips on things I could not install / uninstall in Windows to save space ? And maybe any tips in parallels to minimise space ?

Thanks

Frobi One.

Frobi One

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2011
Chippenham Wilts UK
Thanks Guys,

The software is only a few MB. But it requires flash to run, and other windows background stuff. It will run on XP. I was just wondering if Windows 7 was more elegant and be smaller if you avoid installing all the bloatware. (I'm pretty sure that it is smaller than Vista - from bad experiences !)

Thanks

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Try nLite (for Win XP) http://www.nliteos.com/index.html
I haven't used it for a long time, but it worked a treat on the original Asus EeePC 700 series, which only had a 4Gb SSD.
From memory you could get the install down to below 1Gb.


Ditto to this. You can also get the Xable update pack and have all the updates installed during the installation.

A couple big things that you can remove from the install using NLite: manual upgrade (there won't be SP4 anyway), most of the included drivers (keep the generic printer), search assistant, MSN Network Explorer, and the Tour.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.