What is the status of Windows under rMBP now?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by hajime, Jul 25, 2012.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hi, I am holding the purchase of the 15" rMBP because a lot of mac software look bad on the screen. How about the windows side? Is Windows 7 64-bit working well under Bootcamp? On the net, some people said that there is no bootcamp driver for the video card. I cannot find such driver on the nvidia website neither. Others said that windows run well. I am confused. As I have bad eyesight, I cannot read letters that are too small. On my 2010MBP 17", I am comfortable with the font size.

Unfortunately, I still have not seen any rMBP in my city. I cannot try it out.

2. nishioka macrumors member

When you go through the Boot Camp Assistant, you end up downloading a driver package that has everything you need, including the video driver. It was the case right after launch that drivers weren't available, but that was fixed pretty quickly.

Windows 7 works just fine on the Retina Macbook. I use it for Visual Studio work.

3. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Windows 7 doesn't support retina displays, thus you are usually at 2880x1800 but can scale down. There are no "blockiness" issues because there's no HiDPI settings in Windows.

Windows 8 will support it, apparently, giving those with nothing better to do lots of things to complain about again, no doubt.

4. Marjamrob1 macrumors regular

U can use it with the windows 8 beta, worked fine for me....

5. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

So, if I use Windows 7 64-bit, there should be no problem with the letters looking bad? If I find the characters too small, I just scale up by 150-180%. The characters will be clear to read. Am I right?

Besides video, does Bootcamp include drivers for the rest of the hardware?

6. Marjamrob1 macrumors regular

Yes bootcamp has drivers for EVERYTHING. :)

7. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Correct. Windows 7 64-bit looks beautiful, I use it both in Bootcamp and through VMWare virtually (and also run XP virtually too). I find that if you bump up the scaling to about 125% the menus are fine. Wonderful working in such high resolution on a laptop. There is no scaling, it shows the full beauty of the screen. In fact, I find it better than in OSX at the same resolution as Windows' ClearType can be used too...

----------

Oh, and yes, Bootcamp installs drivers for all the other guff, such as the trackpad which works well, bluetooth, camera and so on. There are no three- or four-fingered gestures on the trackpad, but you can use tap to click, two-fingered scrolling and right-clicking, so you get consistency from OSX to Win7.