What is the status of Windows under rMBP now?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by hajime, Jul 25, 2012.

1. hajime macrumors 68040

Jul 23, 2007
    Hi, I am holding the purchase of the 15" rMBP because a lot of mac software look bad on the screen. How about the windows side? Is Windows 7 64-bit working well under Bootcamp? On the net, some people said that there is no bootcamp driver for the video card. I cannot find such driver on the nvidia website neither. Others said that windows run well. I am confused. As I have bad eyesight, I cannot read letters that are too small. On my 2010MBP 17", I am comfortable with the font size.

Unfortunately, I still have not seen any rMBP in my city. I cannot try it out.
  2. nishioka macrumors member

Mar 8, 2011
    When you go through the Boot Camp Assistant, you end up downloading a driver package that has everything you need, including the video driver. It was the case right after launch that drivers weren't available, but that was fixed pretty quickly.

Windows 7 works just fine on the Retina Macbook. I use it for Visual Studio work.
  3. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Dec 24, 2007
    Windows 7 doesn't support retina displays, thus you are usually at 2880x1800 but can scale down. There are no "blockiness" issues because there's no HiDPI settings in Windows.

Windows 8 will support it, apparently, giving those with nothing better to do lots of things to complain about again, no doubt.
  4. Marjamrob1 macrumors regular

Jul 19, 2012
    U can use it with the windows 8 beta, worked fine for me....
  5. hajime thread starter macrumors 68040

Jul 23, 2007
    So, if I use Windows 7 64-bit, there should be no problem with the letters looking bad? If I find the characters too small, I just scale up by 150-180%. The characters will be clear to read. Am I right?

Besides video, does Bootcamp include drivers for the rest of the hardware?
  6. Marjamrob1 macrumors regular

Jul 19, 2012
    Yes bootcamp has drivers for EVERYTHING. :)
  7. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Dec 24, 2007
    Correct. Windows 7 64-bit looks beautiful, I use it both in Bootcamp and through VMWare virtually (and also run XP virtually too). I find that if you bump up the scaling to about 125% the menus are fine. Wonderful working in such high resolution on a laptop. There is no scaling, it shows the full beauty of the screen. In fact, I find it better than in OSX at the same resolution as Windows' ClearType can be used too...

Oh, and yes, Bootcamp installs drivers for all the other guff, such as the trackpad which works well, bluetooth, camera and so on. There are no three- or four-fingered gestures on the trackpad, but you can use tap to click, two-fingered scrolling and right-clicking, so you get consistency from OSX to Win7.