Resolved What is the usual causes of a water damaged iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kenny1999, Apr 7, 2014.

1. kenny1999 macrumors member

Except intentionally flushing the iPad with a lot of water or accidents, by normal use and exposure, is it easy to cause water damage to the iPad by some accidental a few drops of water from nearby or moisture on hands

Suppose an iPad is water damaged already , how would it work differently from a perfect iPad ? Working much slower? Damaging to the built-in speakers or anything else?

Thanks you for any advice

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

It sounds like you're thinking of buying a water damaged iPad because it's cheaper?

If so, don't. Yes, getting any water inside the iPad can cause water damage. That includes condensation from having the device in your bathroom while you shower, or taking it in a sauna, or spilling a cup of water/soda on it, etc..

Water damaged electronics can short. It can effect the display, the battery, almost anything. It may just die one day with no warning. Even if that does happen, a new battery isn't guaranteed to fix it as it's likely that multiple internal components were effected.

In short, water damage can happen any number of ways, and there's a greater risk of device failure and issues in the future, even if the device "seems" to be working fine now.

3. kenny1999 thread starter macrumors member

It sounds like we can check if an iPad is water damaged or not . For iPad mini 2. Is it to shine a lamp on the headjack port to see if it's red or not? If an used iPad is confirmed to be no problem with the indicator does it mean it's perfect iPad. Please tell me more thanks you

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

There are multiple sensors. I believe there is one in either/both the headphone port and lightning port. There are also internal sensors which you could not check without opening the iPad. The sensors turn pink when they have been touched by water.

It's a risk you run when buying a used device. Hopefully the seller is honest. The best you can do is ask, and if the seller says it's never had an incident with water, check the sensors that you can.

5. thegreati macrumors regular

Investing money into an iPad with water damage is like investing money into a car that is going to continuously need repairs and eventually just die on you. AKA, a waste of money.

Spend the extra money for a refurb or a new device.

6. kenny1999 thread starter macrumors member

hi guys

I am not going to buy a used device.

I already have an iPad but some days ago I went to pub and I got wet by some alcohol/liquid on my hand and my iPad which was held by my hand.

Might be I have OCD with my device and the iPad mini is still working fine superficially. I hope to know if it's still perfect or any potential problems already existing which is not known now

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

There's nothing much you can do other than check the sensors in the lightning and headphone ports, and if they are red, there is nothing much you can do other than keep using your iPad and hope it doesn't develop any problems. If you had posted your question right after the iPad had gotten wet, I'd have recommended turning it off and not using it for a day or two. But since it's already been a few days, it's too late to do anything. The thing about wet electronics is you don't want to use it until it gets completely dry. If you kept using it, any damage that could happen has already happened.

That said, it doesn't sound like you got water directly on the iPad. Your hand got wet, and you touched the iPad with the wet hand. Unless water somehow dripped into the iPad's ports, you should be fine.