What is the worst screen / ssd brands to get stuck with on a MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by NewbieToMacs, Aug 18, 2013.

?

What is the worst brands to get for screen / ssd on a MBA?

1. Samsung (screen) + Samsung (ssd)

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. Samsung (screen) + Sandisk (ssd)

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  3. LG (display) + Samsung (ssd)

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. LG (display) + Sandisk (ssd)

18 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. NewbieToMacs, Aug 18, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2013

NewbieToMacs macrumors newbie

What is the worst brands to get for screen / ssd combination on a MBA?

1) Samsung (screen) + Samsung (ssd)
    2) Samsung (screen) + Sandisk (ssd)
    3) LG (display) + Samsung (ssd)
    4) LG (display) + Sandisk (ssd)

P.S. is it all just personal preference? Or is there really certain clear cut winners & losers?

2. jadAce macrumors regular

jadAce

OP, I have heard people say that supposedly, the Samsung screens are just a bit better. Supposedly.

That being said, IMHO, the difference between screen/SSD quality and performance is hard to notice for average users. It really will not make a difference as to who the manufacturer is. As long as the bezel says "MacBook Air" at the bottom of the screen, you can be assured the hardware is of excellent quality.

Besides, you can't control what manufacturers supply which parts when you order the MBA. You could end up with anything. The probability we end up with certain manufacturers for certain parts is just not in our control.

Hope that helps! Enjoy your MacBook Air.

3. fark macrumors regular

It's all personal preference. There aren't 'winners and losers'. Don't confuse the ranting and raving threads on MR with facts.

4. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

you'll "get stuck" with an exceptional computer either way. if there are any problems you have the option to return it.

worst case scenario you'll have to do a bit of googling and calibrate that lg screen a bit.

i wouldn't worry so much about this... i totally understand the way you feel so perhaps restated 'i shouldn't have worried about this (but i did) so you shouldn't either (but you probably will'
    :p

5. mattferg macrumors 6502

Have no clue about the SSD, but the old screen argument is a load of hogwash :p Once the LG is calibrated it looks just as good as the Samsung on colour IMHO, and the gradient levels on the LG are MUCH better than the Samsung, and this can't be fixed by calibration for the Samsung.

6. SpoekGTi macrumors regular

Mind if i just drop a line.

Just use the damn thing.

It doesn't matter as long you don't have 2 machines standing right next to each other.

It's the same as buying a monitor in a huge electronic store, yes there will be panels that would be better looking than others BUT you only buy one and that's the one you look at at home and presto there you have it, no other reference materials so it doesn't matter anymore. I you like it, you use it.

I have a LG screen and i love it. I have a Samsung SSD and i love it.

Yes the screen needs calibration and yes the SSD is hovering round 450MB/s speeds, but do i really care, no, does the machine does what is supposed to yes?

Would i actually see or feel the difference if i had a Samsung panel and a sandisk/toshiba SSD, probably not. Would i use it the same way, yes.

If the screens would be awful already to look at right from the start or the SSD would perform below the average speed of a traditional harddisk THEN but only THEN there would be a reason to complain :)

7. mattferg macrumors 6502

The SSD speed isn't to do with it being a Samsung, it's to do with the 128GB SSD (which I think is the one you have?) having less chips than the 256/512GB SSD meaning it's slower. This is the case for both the Samsung and Sandisk (apologies if you already know this)

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Forgot to include the option "none of the above" in that poll.

9. imjoee macrumors 6502

imjoee

How do you find out what kind of ssd you have?

10. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I have the Samsung/Samsung combo on my 13" Haswell Air and am very happy with it. I can't speak to any other combination.

11. cedwhatev macrumors 6502

cedwhatev

Kind of a silly poll... I've had the LG/Toshiba, Samsung/Toshiba, Samsung/Samsung and currently have the LG/Sandisk... haven't noticed any difference.

12. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

My sis has the LG/Sandisk combo on her Haswell 11". I have the Samsung/Toshiba combo on my 2011 11". At first I thought her screen looked a bit washed out, but after setting the MR color profile, I prefer her screen over mine. :( As far as SSDs go, both are blazing fast, I haven't noticed any real world difference.

13. AXs macrumors 6502a

AXs

It's all subjective really.

They all pass the same 'iso-standards', or whatever other standard -set by apple, which makes them objectively for manufacturing purposes - the 'same'.

Whether Samsung or LG or Sandisk... it's subjective. which means no one is right, nor wrong.
    But people do tend to favor the Samsung combos.

You would think that people would want to buy more Samsung laptops with the way people favor their manufacturing ability and grade. But it seems they want an apple logo outside.

Apple and Samsung need to bury the hatchet, sit together and create the perfect hybrid. I'll wait, 20 years, not more :p

14. rillrill macrumors 6502a

rillrill

+ 1 on that MR color profile for the LG. the colors looked a little washed out when i got my new air. installed the new profile and everything is perfect. got sammy ssd and its running fine.

i do have issues with my trackpad's touch sensitivity. but it might be me...

15. evorc macrumors 6502a

evorc

Just sold my mid 2011 13" macbook air to take advantage of the best buy sale. My previous both had samsung lcd and sdd. Right off the bat I could the tell the LG was washed out but using the custommacrumor.icc all is well. It is just as good as the samsung. What bothered me is the scandisk 128gb ssd that I got with the new one. I did a blackmagic test and it was averaging 310-320 mb/s write and 700mb/s read. After doing a research on the samsung 128gb ssd write speed this was enough for me to return the macbook air hoping I got the samsung. I just picked up the replacement today and I'm happy that I got the samsung ssd this time! So I did a test right away and the write speed is sure enough 440-450 mb/s :eek: . Most users will not care about this but I'm happy with the 100+ difference in write speed! And by the way I got LG lcd for the replacement as well. It's not a bad screen but the profile is just off out of the box. Just simply calibrate it and it is just as good as the samsung. I just wanted to give it a luck of draw once and fortunately I got lucky but at the end of the day you never know what you will get. It's not worth returning more than once so just be happy with the fine laptop.

16. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

Apple logo, about this mac, more info, system report, find the menu on the left that says storage, under media name you'll see something like:

Media Name: APPLE SSD SM0256F or SD0256F Media

SM = samsung
    SD = sandisk

the 256 is my drive size, yours might be one of the other 2

17. imjoee macrumors 6502

imjoee

thanks, i have lg and sandisk. i dont have any dislikes about my mac

18. imjoee macrumors 6502

imjoee

i have lg/sandisk now and i thought i had both samsung just by guessing and i haven't noticed anything either. it's all in the head...

nothing to worry about

----------

Honestly, nothing is "worse." i have a lg/sandisk now and haven't noticed any problems.

no complaints

19. robvas macrumors 68020

Guess what, you're never going to notice the difference except when you run that ONE benchmark.

Did you know you do more reads than writes, and you very rarely do those large sequential writes? Small, random reads are what you do the most and you'd really want the drive that's best in that.

20. evorc macrumors 6502a

evorc

Agreed. Well like I said at the end it's not worth the sweat to worry about the screen or SSD that you get. Either way it's a fine machine.

21. magbarn macrumors 68000

Sandisk does trump Samsung in maintaining drive speed as the drive fills up. Samsung's need around 15-20% free space to keep their speed up. You fill them up and their speed drops quite a bit. Sandisk will also drop, but not as much.

22. ayres macrumors regular

eye of the beholder, my friend, eye of the beholder