What is the worth of 1984 Mac if it is working fine

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by asifnaz, Dec 4, 2010.

1. asifnaz macrumors member

My girlfriend has a Mac from years 1984 it uses 800 kb diskate as storage and has like 4 kb ram .

But it works fine and to me surprise it boots in about 15 seconds .

If we sell it how much we can get .

In other words what can be the destination for it junk yard or museum

2. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

If it's good condition, it could be worth a couple hundred.

3. asifnaz thread starter macrumors member

No way . I thought some collector will buy it in good price so that we can buy a brand new Mac

4. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

put it on Ebay as a collectible and see what happens :cool:

5. asifnaz thread starter macrumors member

Before that I want to determined its price . It may have worth of like a Million $ or like 20 $ I have no idea

6. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Yeah, unless it's in mint condition (i.e, kept in it's box for most of its life, has all the original documentation and software) it's not incredibly valuable.

And actually, what model do you really have? It should tell you on the front unless it's the 128k/512k, because I'm pretty sure the original Macs only had 400k disk drives, the Plus was the first to use 800k and it's worth less.

Don't take it from me though, check eBay and see what these things are going for because I personally haven't checked the classic Mac market in quite some time.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Macs aren't that old. There are thousands, maybe millions of 1980s Macs that run. Hold onto it, it could pay off down the road. It certainly won't buy you a new Mac today.

8. Transporteur macrumors 68030

There is a 1984 Mac on ebay (US) right now and it is advertised as immaculate. It really looks like brand new and ships with all original accessories and even the box.
    $900. I don't think that it will sell for that price though.

9. asifnaz thread starter macrumors member

Do you mean millions of macs from 80s still work . I thought they were very rare .

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Not rare at all unless they are brand new and in the original box. Even then, they're worth enough to buy a new Mac.

11. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

For a collector to be interested, it has to be MUCH rarer and MUCH older (in computer years) - like this 1976 Apple I, apparently one of 200 made.

[​IMG]

12. asifnaz thread starter macrumors member

Brand new Mac from 1984...???

13. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

unopened, never used.

14. asifnaz thread starter macrumors member

This could happened if the 1984 user with his super natural powers knew that the mac will sell at very high price in year 2010 .

Or he lived in cave to protect his Mac

15. Mechinyun macrumors 6502

Ya Ebay is the place to go, look at the completed items. I bought one recently, flawless - 135.00. Tons of them on there, the ones that go for hundreds seem to have something special about them otherwise its like 100-200.

16. Anonymous Freak, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2010

Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

From your description, you may not have an "original 1984" Mac.

Please post the model number (on a sticker on the back,) and the first seven characters of the serial number (either on the back, bottom, or under the "lip" up front.)

The original 1984 Mac used 400 KB floppies, not 800 KB. No Macintosh could take 4 MB (I assume you meant MB, not KB,) until the 1986 Macintosh Plus. The Plus was *VERY* common, even a pristine one is worth maybe $20 now.

You likely have either a Macintosh Plus, or an earlier model that has been upgraded to Plus-status (which was a common upgrade.) In either case, it's not worth a lot.

Even if it was a perfect-condition, truly stock 1984-released Macintosh 128, with all original packaging, it would be worth - at most - $500. As

If it doesn't have its packaging, you're looking at $100-$200.

As for having unopened ones? It has been known to happen. A school or a business will buy a lot of systems, including some as spares that sit unopened. Someone posted a year or two ago about finding (and opening,) a factory-sealed PCjr that was exactly that, school old stock.

17. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

It happens. Two years ago there was an unopened Apple IIc from 1988 on eBay.

There are all sorts of reasons why it could happen. Such as a business bought many for their office and a spare was never opened and just remained in storage or one bought for a family member that died before opening it and it was simply forgotten in the garage.

18. pagansoul macrumors 65816

pagansoul

Take a few pictures and post it so we can see what you actually have. Don't forget all the software and box if you have it. Is it this little guy?

Attached Files:

19. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

It probably will be another 20 years or so and then this stuff will be worth something. Today, it is hard to sell pre-internet hardware unless it is an Apple 1.

20. Peter.Howard macrumors regular

Peter.Howard

To the original poster have a look at ebay item # 300505079066

that is probably as close as you can find these days to an all original system that has not been upgraded or mucked with, and at the moment it has 1 bid for $19.95

I would guess this system is worth maybe $500-1,000

at the end of the day it is worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.

21. lee14160, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2010

lee14160 macrumors regular

lee14160

I have a 1987 Mac Plus (build date April, 1987), that has 4 MB of ram, two 800 KB floppy drives (one internal, and one external). All work just fine. There worth is nothing unless I could fine some sucker willing to pay something for it. So get over the fact that it is old. Being old doesn't make something a classic.

It is not a car, it is a computer, and being a computer it does nothing for anyone in today's computing world, hence it is not worth anything.