What is there to add in 10.7, 10.8 , 10.9, Mac OS XL?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ashinyjade, Nov 27, 2009.

1. ashinyjade macrumors member

ashinyjade

I remember Mac OS X Leopard was applauded tremendously for the 300+ new features it had/has. Mac OS X Snow Leopard was applauded when Steve Jobs announced at WWDC it would have 0 new features.

This confuses me, what do the people want? More features, or no new features? Emphasis on performance and not features?

Will there be new features in 10.7? 10.8? 10.9? What about Mac OS XL (11)?

What is the future of the Mac OS?

I'd like all of your opinions.

2. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

I think Apple is going through a "fine tuning" period. If it aint broke, why fix it? SL does have problems, and will be great after a few more patches. Then it will be completely awesome. I personally love it though. Havn't had any real big issues aside from the occasional beachball in Safari.

OSX does what its supposed to do. I think they will not add too many more features, but the graphical improvements will continue to evolve. More dock, theme, skin options. It's good though now. Functions, looks sleek, and works.
    Apple needs to improve their Black Friday deals.
    lol.
    : )

3. ashinyjade thread starter macrumors member

ashinyjade

I'm going to partially agree. "Fine-tuning" is a great way to describe it. The iPhone was huge, and Leopard was huge, they were released around the same time period, Snow Leopard is it's sequel and it's simply fixing it up a little bit. The iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS did the same thing, added some features that should have been there in the first place, and increased it's speed, just like Leopard to Snow Leopard.

That being said, is it likely that we will see a 300+ new features advert when 10.7 comes along?

How long does a "fine-tuning" period last?

4. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Hopefully just one release. OS X could really use a real package manager. And what better way to roll it out than as part of the new "Mac App Store"?

And that "marble" thing. Not to mention, resolution independence is starting to turn into the Duke Nukem Forever of OS X features.

5. ashinyjade thread starter macrumors member

ashinyjade

Ok, so one feature, a real package manager, I have to agree on that. The Unarchiver is a savior.

The new Mac App Store would also be great, could be an application within Mac OS X. Perhaps built into iTunes? They are going to need a new name for it.

Something of that sort already exists though, I believe it is called Bodega.

Also, Windows 7 has largely been focusing on touch-screen computing and refining Vista, I think Apple should follow that.

6. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

It should have it's own app, preferably launched from where the "Mac OS X Software" option is now in the Apple Menu. And what does the Unarchiver have to do with this? Have you ever used Ubuntu? Or some other Linux distro with a package manager? You just select the software you want to install, and it automatically downloads and installs the program and everything it needs. For example, to install Handbrake on Ubuntu, you either mark it for install in the Software Center and click OK, or you open a terminal and type

Code:
    sudo apt-get install handbrake
    and you're done. Uninstalling is just as straightfoward. Uninstalling should not involve fishing the plist out of ~/Library/Preferences and the support files from /Library/Application Support. The app should have registered those files with the package manager when it was installed, so the package manager can simply go clear them out when the user uninstalls the app.

It's honestly a lot like buying apps on your iPhone. Find one you like in the App Store, and hit install. Installing an app on Linux? Find it in the package repos, and hit install. Installing an app on your Mac? Let's see, Google for it's page, scan the top few results for the app, go to the page, download it, open the DMG, copy the bundle into /Applications, eject and delete the DMG. Yeesh, look at downloads.apple.com, and the iPhone App Store. The pieces are essentially already in place. Apple just needs to write the package manager, and wire it all up.

7. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

ok... heres what I think.

- Full NTFS support
    - The ability for apps to add formats to Quick View
    - Better/more window animations
    - More compressed file support
    - Labels shown in stacks
    - Animated Gifs shown in preview
    - Animated desktop wallpapers
    - Blue-ray support
    - Standard MP3 player and possibly Walkman support in iTunes
    - Some really cool new feature which totally blows Windows 7 away

:)

8. ashinyjade thread starter macrumors member

ashinyjade

Apologies, I thought you meant unpacking, like unzipping etc, I find the built-in utility not very helpful, that's where The Unarchiver comes in.

Yes, I have used Ubuntu and understand what you are talking about. Regarding "downloads.apple.com", it does seem like everything is there, and that it could be hooked up.

I believe that is the case with iTunes, yes? You can browse music and preview it right on the Apple website, and if you click the song it opens up iTunes.

A Mac App Store would help developers out as well, you don't have to Google the application as you said and "look" for it. Just search for what you are looking for in the "Mac App Store" and it's going to exclude all the crap you might find in Google.

9. ashinyjade thread starter macrumors member

ashinyjade

Preview does need some new formats, I agree. Hitting space bar and seeing it instantly is really useful, but it doesn't work with everything... However I think Apple did a great job with what is already included, PSD's etc.

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

horrible idea imo

last thing i want is apple dictating what apps one can intall like they do with th app store

11. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

1. Needs a license from Microsoft

2. This is as old Quick Look itself. What do you think your /Library/QuickLook folder is for? Have fun: http://www.quicklookplugins.com/

3-8: Yes

9: The iTunes Store largely exists to sell iPods. They won't do it.

10: Hell yes. :p

Oh Christ, not another person thinking Mac App Store = Can't install anything else on your Mac. We're never getting a package manager if this keeps up.

12. ashinyjade thread starter macrumors member

ashinyjade

Apple's iPhone App Store rejections have been a bit ridiculous... But I don't think they will go overboard if they were to have a Mac AppStore, and if you don't like it, there is always a third-party option: torrents or a jail-break equivalent.

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Well all we know with app store handling is how apple does it with the iphone

Unless they chnge thwir thinking, then no thanks

Why not just use whats out there now? As in apps on the dev site?

As I said, bad idea.

Why anyone would advocate a feature that would limit what we have now is puzzling to me....

torrensts and an equivaelent to jailbreaking..really? who advocates this? who wants apple censorship for apps??

14. ashinyjade thread starter macrumors member

ashinyjade

As J the Ninja stated, it's quite a pain to download, unzip, mount dmg, drag to applications, unmount dmg, put zip and dmg in trash, empty trash, open application.

A real package manager is great.

Plus you won't be needing AppZapper or AppCleaner to "correctly" uninstall applications.

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

The day that happens (if ever) I will leave the mac platform, esp if it gives apple censorship capability for what i can and cant install on my machine

16. ashinyjade thread starter macrumors member

ashinyjade

Ok, let's say they don't dictate what you can and can't install, would you still use a package manager?

17. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

It wouldn't. If what you want isn't in the store, you install it the old way, or download an app store package and let the package manager add it to the database for you, for easy removal later.

18. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

sure

19. ashinyjade thread starter macrumors member

ashinyjade

So it's the strict behavior Apple has shown in the iPhone App Store that has you against the idea of a Mac App Store?

20. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

This won't happen anyway. If Apple did create a Mac app store, even if they still allowed you to install apps the old fashion way, they would be up to their eyeballs in lawsuits. This is exactly what happened with Microsoft in the 90s when they made it difficult for the end user to install another web browser.

21. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Yes it is

22. ashinyjade thread starter macrumors member

ashinyjade

That is what has led to the "Install a Web Browser" option in Europe when you have Windows 7.

23. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Sure, but let's see if Apple has the ability to group together a choice for ALL GTD apps, all messaging apps, all emails apps, all music library apps, all calendar apps, etc.

As I said the Mac platform app store will _never_ happen without bad repercussions for Apple.

24. ashinyjade thread starter macrumors member

ashinyjade

Ok, so, Mac App Store, bad idea.

What else can Apple add to future versions?

25. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

64bit iTunes rewritten in cocoa. A tool for managing and syncing documents across several computers. A home server OS. Better managing of application plists.