What Is This A Sign Of [Pics Inside][Updated - More Pics]

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by M0bile, Apr 8, 2009.

1. M0bile macrumors regular

I'll start off with specs:

MacBook Pro 15" (Mid-2006)
    2 GHz Intel Core Duo
    2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    OS X 10.5.6
    ATI Radeon X1600 128 MB
    Boot Camp w/ XP SP2 Installed

OK so I've had my MacBook Pro for almost 3 years now. It's always ran excessively hot. When I first got it I took it to the Apple store and they said "that's just how it is". Fair enough. Last year around December I started getting these weird lines across my screen of messed up pixels. Sometimes they disappear, sometimes they stay, sometimes they multiply and move around. As far as I can tell it happens when the heat increases. Around this time last year my MPB would completely freeze for utterly no reason. It would always occur after I started getting the messed up pixel lines. Sometimes I would be able to move the mouse and other times not. The shortcut for force quit will not work. Sometimes I get the beach ball, but it freezes there. Sometimes my screen will flash and then start to fill up with white and increase in brightness until I do a hard-restart/shutoff. Over the last year these problems have occurred more and more often. I have reset my PRAM and NVRAM, reinstalled OS X (starting from earlier versions as well), installed smcFanControl and ran it at an increasing rate from 1,000 RPM to 6,000 RPM just to keep cool and purchased one of those USB cooling stations. None of these have helped. It has gotten to the point where this happens at least once if not 3 times per day and it happens at any temperature. Just now my screen filled up with orange and I've never seen that before so I thought I'd come here and ask for some advice.

If you're wondering why I haven't taken my MBP to an Apple Store:
    A- I needed it for classes (I'm in college)
    B- At the end of classes I went home for the summer (Where there is no Apple store).

The semester ends in a couple weeks and I will be staying in town for the summer where there is an Apple store. Does anyone have any idea why I'm having this problem or what it actually is caused by? Is there anything Apple can do to fix this? It's obviously out of warranty but I'm not worried about that. I just don't want to have to buy a new computer.

Thanks for your help

-M0bile

In terms of the screenshots, these pictures were taken with my iPhone. The screen itself was filled with that bright orange color at the top of the second picture. My screen does something similar in white and it has also occurred in an off-green/white color. The messed up pixel rows are shown as well. They show up on my desktop and have shown up in all of my programs (however not all at the same time). They never cross into other programs.

Attached Files:

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

looks like bad logic board. you may have to send it in if you are no where near an apple store. or live with it until the end of your classes.

3. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

does it show up in actual screenshots? (command shift 3) If not I would think it's a graphics card issue or perhaps the screen itself. I am no expert though, I just think knowing if it shows in screenshots may help diagnose it with someone more qualified than I am.

4. M0bile thread starter macrumors regular

Not sure about the screenshots. I'll check next time they show up.

Also worth noting, when I use XP/Boot Camp and the MBP gets really hot it never freezes.

How much does a logic board replacement cost? I don't think I'll be able to replace the graphics card because it's soldered onto the motherboard right? Or can I?

Thanks for the quick responses.

5. M0bile thread starter macrumors regular

Just happened again. smcFanControl was at 5998 RPM, cooling station was on and the temperature was 133 degrees F. I was watching a video on Hulu and iTunes was open. As the screen flashed and filled up with white the audio from the video was still playing.

Attached Files:

6. HSV macrumors newbie

7. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

A logic board replacement is pretty pricey. i dont know what the coast is on your specific model. on an iBook G4 that my dad had it was $500.

8. M0bile thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah it does that and then fills up with a solid color. Is your computer still usable in that screenshot? Because once mine goes I can't control it at all, plus the screen turns into one color.

9. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Most of these screenshots say the video card is going bad. If you have applecare, have them fix it. If not, sorry, looks like you're outta luck.

10. M0bile thread starter macrumors regular

No I don't have Apple Care. Do you know much it is to have fixed?

11. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

It'll be a logic board replacement mostly... unless you can attach a external monitor and see if it happens there also. If not, it could be the Display.

If its logic board, $700+
    Display, about the same. $700+

12. M0bile thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks.

I started hooking up my HDTV to my MBP with a DVI-HDMI cable a couple months ago. Only recently have I noticed the pixel errors I see on my screen show up on my HDTV. I've watched multiple 720p Blu-Ray movies (Dark Knight, Harry Potter 1-5) and watched videos on Hulu, etc. with no problems, but now they are showing up on my TV. I could've just missed them or they may have just started being transmitted to my TV. Idk.

13. M0bile thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, the pixel errors show up in screenshots.

14. HSV macrumors newbie

Its still useable. Ive connected it to a LCD Tv and it displays fine on there. But on the MBP's screen its still fuzzy.

Good luck mate

15. M0bile thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I think your problem is your display and mine is my graphics card/logic board because I tried to hook up my TV after my MBP went white and nothing happened. :(

16. James Cole macrumors 6502