what is this button for

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by phantommaul, Jul 23, 2004.

  1. phantommaul macrumors member

    Jan 8, 2002
    hello there i am a switcher and i can say i adore the macs. but because i am new i dont know anything and i need lots of help :) i bought a powerbook and i am using it for 1 day but there is a problem. powerbook has a button on the right of the right apple button which is a small line over small triangle. can you tell me what is this button for. and how can i toggle between dialogue options with keyboard. thanxxxx
  2. realityisterror macrumors 65816


    Aug 30, 2003
    Snellville, GA
    i have no idea what key you are talking about, but you can switch between fields using the tab key...
    maybe since you live in turkey, you have a different keyboard than in america. perhaps you could post a picture?

  3. Belly-laughs macrumors 6502a


    Jun 8, 2003
    you wish
    Enter good life

    Welcome to the Mac!

    The button to the right of the "command" key is the "enter" key which is the two row tall key found at the bottom right on a full sized keyboard.
  4. 7on macrumors 601


    Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    pressing tab will cycle through most dialogue boxes (I say most because some, like iTunes when deleting songs, must use the mouse). Pressing the Space bar will select the tabbed choice. Enter will always select the default blue selection (the tabbed choice will be outlined in blue). Command+D will be the "Don't Save" shortcut.
  5. phantommaul thread starter macrumors member

    Jan 8, 2002
    u mean enter which is the same thing as return ?

    return = enter. boy i feel s stupid :)

    Attached Files:

  6. mkaake macrumors 65816

    Apr 10, 2003
    i'm not too familiar with the kb layout on the pbooks, but it almost sounds like you're describing the eject key for your media drive.

    does it look like the key on the far right in this pic? if so, its the eject key. if you're talkin about something else, sorry for wasting your time!

  7. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a


    Feb 17, 2003
    New Jersey USA
    Eject Disk Button

    EDIT: Would help if I read the post. I discuss the EJECT button, line BELOW triangle, you have a line above triangle. The button next to the Apple key on my 1.25 p[owerbook says ENTER, so it acts like a return key.
    The Triangle with a line beneath it is the EJECT disk function. Since macs cover up the actual button on the optical disk, you need a means to eject CD/DVD from the drive, or unmount firewire disks. This button does the trick. There are also other ways to eject media, but this is the easiest.
    Check out system preferences, and go toKeyboard, I think you mean change languages and such, and this is done there.
  8. yippy macrumors 68020


    Mar 14, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Weird, I have never seen that button, on my powerbook in America, there is an Enter button in that exact spot, you may just have to try it and see what it does. Looking in the keboard prefferences sounds like a good idea, might give you a clue.
  9. Muskie macrumors 6502


    Dec 1, 2003
    could it be a different version of the "function" (fn) button?
  10. jxyama macrumors 68040


    Apr 3, 2003
    is it because it's turkish keyboard?

    (o.p. please tell us what keyboard you ordered with your PB?)
  11. comictimes macrumors 6502a


    Jun 20, 2004
    Berkeley, California
    It's probably the same as the enter key. Speaking of which, maybe I am just completely clueless, but I have yet to find a purpose for the enter key. What is it used for?
  12. grabberslasher macrumors 6502

    Aug 2, 2002
    It's the enter key on non-us keyboards. The keyboards differ a lot, with € signs and our Return key is a long thin key, not a wide key (if that makes any sense). It's vertical, not horizontal...
  13. phantommaul thread starter macrumors member

    Jan 8, 2002
    it is a return key

    so after lookin it again i noticed the enter key has the same mark at the right bottom of it so it is a enter key and BTW i have a q english keyboard (but maybe the european layout is different) thanx for your answers. because i am so new i need all this replys too much. and do you know any resource sites for tips on using os x ?
  14. jsw Moderator emeritus


    Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I don't know if you got .Mac, but, if so, a great place to go (requires a subscription to actually read anything) is:


    Also, I stumbled upon this, which downloads a PDF guide that seems OK.

    I'm sure others can find you many sites.I bought a few books when I was learning it, but I'm guessing most of what you'd want os available for free online.

    Plus, of course, this site is a great place to go as well. Most questions get answered pretty quickly - don't be discouraged if a few don't. as sometimes the right people just aren't checking the posts.
  15. Sayer macrumors 6502a


    Jan 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    The "Enter" key is sometimes used to acknowledge a window that accepts Return in a larger text field to break a line or add new lines.

    For example, the area I am typing in now. I can type "Return" in here without triggering the "Submit Reply" button. In some apps the Enter key will trigger the Default button instead of "Return."

    Also in AppleScript Editor the Enter key "compiles" the script.

    Other than that it's not really useful.
  16. abc123 macrumors 6502

    Apr 26, 2004
    could be useful in games i guess, not needing to reach so far. but i don't play games so i don't really know.
  17. Nermal Moderator


    Staff Member

    Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    I've seen games which say things like "Make your selections then press Enter", then only respond to the Return key :rolleyes:

Share This Page