What is this giant streak going down the side of the screen on my 27" imac :(

Discussion in 'iMac' started by macmee, Sep 23, 2013.

1. macmee Suspended

macmee

[​IMG]

It's noticeable on any light background, seems to be on the actual LCD not the plastic :(

2010 iMac

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I had a similar thing form on my 2009 iMac. I brought it in before the 3 year applecare expired and Apple replaced the screen.

/Jim

3. macmee thread starter Suspended

macmee

My warranty has expired, any idea what this is?

4. Arfdog macrumors 6502

Looks like the need for a new screen to me

5. TofSanity macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

I had the same issue. A candle was set on my desk and the fans sucked the smoke into the screen causing it to streak a lot like that. I've heard it happens smoking or just dust in general. If you're comfortable you can take it apart and clean. That's what I did. Looked great afterward

I attached a link that's helpful

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1101370

6. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I am not sure what mine was. Repair was over $600, but covered under AppleCare.

Sometimes I win, other times not. This time AC paid off.

Honestly, if it was out of warranty, I would have lived with it until my next upgrade.

/Jim

7. macmee thread starter Suspended

macmee

This thing cost more than my car, 3 years old or not I doubt I'll upgrade short of 2020.

8. /V\acpower macrumors 6502a

This exact same problem happened to me this spring on a 2010 iMac.

The "Genius" told me that it was a known issue now on these screens and that they are being replaced for up to 4 years after purchase, even when "out of warranty". It's kind of a "silent recall". When it happen they change it.

So you should be fine even being out of warranty.

9. blanka macrumors 68000

It is a problem that goes back to the silver 24 inch iMac's. It's some coating inside the panel coming loose since Apple is kind of sealing the display without proper (and thus visible) ventilation. Almost any aluminium screen I see has it to some extend. The only thing better today is the silent recall. With our first 24's with the problem, Apple was showing the funny face only. With a friend they did it without asking on the malicious HD swap program.

10. Takuro macrumors 6502

Takuro

I have the exact same shadowing in the exact same part of my screen, following the right hand edge. Personally, it's so minor that I ignore it. I'm about to swap my 2010 for a 2013. Recall or not, my Mac won't fetch that much money on resale, so I don't care to repair.

11. /V\acpower macrumors 6502a

Seriously ?

I mean, the repair is free and clearly it will add considerable value to your iMac (which should sell pretty well even if its 2010.)

It's like you are saying "I don't care for 500$, too much trouble!"

12. macmee thread starter Suspended

macmee

I don't have an Apple store near me and on their website it wants me to pay money to contact them about support... do you know how I can get in touch with them to get it fixed?

13. rw3 macrumors 6502a

rw3

That would be called LCD Contamination. It is to be covered up to 3 years from date of purchase.