what is this Set up an aiport express base station on ios 5.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 007dav91, Feb 26, 2012.

1. 007dav91 macrumors member

hello, does anyone know what this feature is in the pictures for the iphone? It just popped up under network settings just now and i havernt heard or found anything online about it.

Im using an iPhone 4s on ios 5.0.1 and im from the UK on the orange network. could it be a feature apple hasnt talked about yet?

Attached Files:

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

By creating a network, it means that the Base Station will be the hub of your home network.

It will take the wired signal from your modem and allow wireless devices to connect with it. It will also allow your wireless devices to connect with one-another, in the case that you use file-sharing, AirPlay, etc.

If you want to connect to the internet via the Base Station, you must connect an Ethernet cable to it or connect it to a wireless router...wirelessly.

3. 007dav91 thread starter macrumors member

thanks and yeah i understand that, but i dont know why it lets my iphone become an airport express, when i cant connect it to an modem, unless it uses the 3G connection

4. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Notice that you are configuring your Airport Express, not your iPhone.

5. 007dav91 thread starter macrumors member

i dont own an airport express, i use a netgear wireless router. also the airport express settings page has gone from the settings, maybe it picked up someone else's airport express and ive just accidentally setup theres lol

6. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Yes, you've just showed Dan why it's important to password-protect wireless networks.