What is this slot on the left hand side of my new MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lacereza, Aug 12, 2008.

1. lacereza macrumors regular

It's between 1.5 and 2 inches long, 1/4 inch thick, and has rounded ends. Pushes in when touched.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

3. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

4. areusche macrumors regular

areusche

What things can I stuff into my express card slot? :cool:

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Cellular modems, USB adapters, eSATA adapters, Firewire adapters, memory card readers, SmartCard readers, etc. It's like the PCI slot on a desktop computer, except it's a lot smaller and well easier to insert and remove.

6. Screwball macrumors regular

What is a real pain in the arse is, that in Leopard you can hardly get an eSata adapter to work 100%! It's a trouble with the SiS chipset...i do hope they can get this sorted out!

7. lacereza thread starter macrumors regular

Ok. Thanks. I do need an SD card reader... any suggestions for particular ones that'll fit in there?

8. Screwball macrumors regular

Oh and i understand, that not everyone is a geek...but to get a computer which is considered pro ( although it is semi-pro at best ), without knowing what slots are on it...is somewhat amazing:eek:

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I have this Belkin one, they have it on Amazon.

I have a Bytecc eSATA adapter that uses the Silicon Image chipset and they have Leopard drivers.

Many companies sell this adapter: Griffin, Belkin, Adaptec, etc. all for a lot more; I got it from Bytecc for $20.

10. lacereza thread starter macrumors regular

People choose their computers for a variety of reasons. I have this one because it is grunty enough to run the Windows voice operated software I use within the Mac OS using VMWare Fusion to operate a bunch of programs.

There are snobs everywhere, I guess... 'tis laughable that I'm justifying a computer purchase to anyone.

11. kevo0822 macrumors 6502

I love that people think it's inappropriate for a "consumer" user to buy a Macbook Pro just because it has "Pro" in the name.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

13. Screwball macrumors regular

I love that people don't even think about looking up the specs of the machine they're about to buy ( whether it be a pro or non-pro ). I might get this wrong, but in an ideal world, one would choose to buy a machine depending on one's needs, as in hardware, slots etc. Or maybe i'm missing out on something and the OP's a snooker player and it was a " hit and hope " move.:)
    And of course there is always a user manual, which is there for a reason!
    Nonetheless i hope the OP is going to be enjoying his/her machine!

14. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

15. thebrain74 macrumors regular

"except it's a lot smaller and well easier to insert and remove"
    that, my friend, is what she said

16. lacereza thread starter macrumors regular

I buy based on the specs I need, not the extras I don't. I don't think it's about ideals worlds at all! People buy what they want or need, and i really has nothing to do with you at all.

I am enjoying it :)

17. B1rdman macrumors newbie

Beat me to it. Lol. :rolleyes:

18. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

hey, have any of you guys ever used something like this?

19. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

that seems like a very interesting device. However, reading the reviews leads me to believe that it performs pretty slowly. It could be running off of the USB bus (USB 2.0 speeds), or basically an oversized USB "thumb" drive with a expresscard interface. Don't expect internal drive speeds.

20. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

true, for some reason I always just thought of the expresscard as something for 3g card but now I see there are a lot of functions for it.

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah I bought one of them; POS. It's really slow and it doesn't do anything. It's especially useless on a Mac. For the same money I would have bought a USB Flash drive which would have been faster.

Also the title is really misleading--it's more of a cheap SD card then a SSD. And the cheap SD cards are faster too!

22. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

thanks for the heads up, I'll stay away.

23. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

:D

Does this one support SDHC cards?

The only ones that I've found here in Japan, supported SD cards.

Luckily, when I purchased my 16GB SDHC card it came with a very nice small USB card reader like this one.

Snort. Like a portable piggy bank! :p

Good info. Agree, I'll stay away as well.

24. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

yup, i have one too, for comparison, the internal HD gets speeds of about 54mbs external WD passport gets 46 this thing gets about 15, my flash voyager gt usb drive gets 17mb/s the nice thing about it is, its 16gb (well mines does anyway) of internal storage that doesn't stick out of the computer, its flush when installed, so its nice for storing pictures and stuff like that to keep it off of your harddrive

25. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

For some reason this thread comes to mind.

LOL. I never use the express card slot. If I ever need a SD card reader, I just plug my camera into a USB slot.