What is this symbol?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ALMF, Jun 23, 2013.

1. ALMF macrumors regular

Just showed up and do not know what it is. 411 please
    Lock with clockwise arrow around it

Attached Files:

2. KSean macrumors member

Rotation lock. You can turn it off by double tapping the home button, swiping to the right (hence moving the bar left) and hitting the rotation icon.

3. ALMF thread starter macrumors regular

Guess I locked it by accident. Thank you very much

4. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

i still never understand how people manage to find themselves into the multitasking menu, slide left and tap rotation lock then cant figure out how to turn it off. its gotta be the #1 icon that confuses everyone and i still cant understand how people arent aware of it yet lol.

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

It's because you underestimate people. You think it's foolproof but it's not as evidenced here. People manage to do all sorts of things by accident -- myself included.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

What I'll never understand is why Apple included the rotation lock, or at least the ability to turn it on or off.

Except for Safari, which stock apps on the iPhone rotate when the lock is off? The Springboard doesn't rotate either no matter the setting. You need a JB tweak for that.

Unless anyone can point me to another use that it has (other than controlling third party apps and Safari) it seems like a useless "feature" to me.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

The iOS formally known as 6.0?

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, it sure comes in handy for:

Safari
    Music
    Most RSS apps
    Photos
    Calculator
    Any of the 'Flash Drive' apps with text documents in them
    Dropbox
    Webcomics
    Galcon

But then again you DID say
    So I guess you knew all this.

So I'm forced to ask, if you know how people use it, why are you asking why people use it?

10. chumawumba macrumors 6502

chumawumba

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I hate Safari in all of it's forms, so I don't use it except when I have to. For iOS, I use Dolphin. The Rotation Lock works the same for Dolphin as for Safari.
    Don't use Music, iTunes or the Music app. If I use my iPhone for music it's to stream it down from Google Play using gMusic. Or I use my iPod.
    I'm using BiteSMS, so this doesn't apply
    Don't use this either (Don't travel much and I'm usually at home, work, or Starbucks).
    Third party, don't use either.
    Didn't realize it worked here. Thanks.
    Same as above, again thanks.
    I knew it worked in Dropbox, but I don't use the other two (no idea what they are).

No, I didn't. And since I don't seem to use much of what everyone else does, (which I now know) this isn't something that really applied to me except for a few apps. Now that I am aware of what else is can apply to I have to retract my statement and just say I don't really use it personally.

Sorry, I was asking from the standpoint of "If it's not used very much, why is it included." That was coming from a biased viewpoint (my own).

----------

If you mean me, no. I might look like a troll (maybe) but trolling isn't what I'm doing here. :D

12. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

I find it useful for Pictures on landscape mode, Youtube and other videos..

13. Bear macrumors G3

iBooks is a big one to use the rotation lock for. You don't want your book rotating because you've shifted how you're sitting. I like it locked din portrait mode for that.

But I don't always want the rotation locked because I do like Safari for instance to use landscape mode.

14. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Cool, thanks. Didn't know it worked on iBooks either.