What is this white mark on my iPhone 5 SIM chassis? Help to identify...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by timidhermit, Oct 16, 2012.

1. timidhermit, Oct 16, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012

timidhermit macrumors regular

I just got this black iPhone 5 out of the box. I noticed this odd white mark on the inner edge of the nano-SIM card slot that I can't explain. This is NOT the water damage indicator. The mark is white and is visible ONLY after the nano-SIM tray is removed. It is ON the aluminum chassis, as if part of that chassis was not properly anodized.

IMPORTANT: This mark is on the underside of the inner chassis around the SIM slot. That is, it is ON the FRONT (not back) part of the chassis. When looking, you have to look inside and toward the front of the phone.

Can someone tell me if their black iPhone 5 has this too? Is this a scuff mark? It looks too uniform to be that. You will need to look carefully to find it.

Please post your replies here.

2. I AN LEGEND macrumors regular

3. timidhermit thread starter macrumors regular

I guess I am obsessed. However, if this is indeed a sign of damage, then this may just be a proxy for other damages that may exist elsewhere in the phone during manufacturing or shipment.

4. Brettka7 macrumors regular

It's a water sensor. It moved from the dock to the sim tray slot.

5. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Edited: I guess I wasn't seeing what the OP was pointing at. My pictures didn't show the same thing.

6. timidhermit thread starter macrumors regular

No, it is NOT the water sensor. I am pointing to the EDGE of the aluminum chassis. The mark is ON the chassis itself. I am completely puzzled because it looks too regular (it is a rectangular mark will straight edges) to be a scuff.

7. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Well then maybe my pictures do help. I don't see anything like what you're talking about and my original comment that I deleted still stands. This is getting beyond ridiculous. It's on the inside. You will never see it while using your phone and I'm pretty sure it doesn't mean that there's further damage during the manufacturing process.

Attached Files:

8. joshmacbosh macrumors member

joshmacbosh

9. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

10. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Brilliant! It perfectly sums up those who frequent this forum who seem to delight in complaining about almost everything! :)

11. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

You guessed!:rolleyes:

Good luck on enjoying your phone!:cool:

12. Lyshen macrumors 6502

Take it to an Apple Store and see what they say or do? Or call AppleCare?

13. russgold macrumors newbie

I was considering applying at the Apple Store but after seeing all of these threads...I don't know how I would handle it if people came to me to return an iPhone for something like this.

I'm assuming the sim tray scratched it when it was put in or when you pulled it out(most likely). I can't even see what your talking about either.

14. iEs macrumors regular

iEs

I believe this is the so called "white dot" that happens to be painted over by black. If it bothers you that much then, book an appointment with apple to see the genius and show them. But I'd suggest not to!

15. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

As opposed to....?

Sky writing? Goodyear blimp? Message in a bottle?