what is up with brownish spot on iphone screen that isn't visible when phone is cold?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mikekruger, Jan 14, 2010.

1. mikekruger macrumors newbie

I bought this first generation 8GB iPhone used, for a really good price.
    it works fine.
    However, on the right side of the screen, around the middle, there is a smudge under the glass, about one inch tall and a quarter of an inch wide. The picture I described is in portrait mode.

The touch screen works fine and the smudge is not covering up anything, that is, pixels shine through normally. When the phone is cold, the smudge is not visible, however, after usage, as the phone warms up, it starts becoming more and more pronounced. Again, without hiding anything. On a light background, it shows as a whitish area. If I turn the screen off, the smudge is still visible as a brownish area. Again, this is after the phone has had a chance to warm up.

I know with an older used phone like this I shouldn't have expected perfection, so I am willing to live with it. Question is, will it get worse over time?

Also, by chance, is there anything I can do about it on my own, since the phone is obviously not under any warranty?

Thanks in advance!

2. NathanA macrumors 6502a

3. mikekruger thread starter macrumors newbie

see attached,right side.
    there seems to be a small scratch right above the spot, an impact maybe?
    again this only shows when the phone wars up and after it has warmed up it is visible even when the screen is off, but I couldn't get pictures like that. On dark backgrounds it shows whitish and with the LCD off also brownish.

Attached Files:

4. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

spot on screen

to be honest if that pic is an actual shot of your problem I dont see it! however, it could be one of 2 issues. it might be a pressure mark on your lcd. which means in time you may have to replace it. or it could have been replaced already and depending on who they purchased the replacement lcd from some of them have marks on them.

either way just use it til it breaks. 2g phones are hard to get someone to work on.