What is up with people that think they need a bigger screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Radiating, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Radiating macrumors 65816

Seriously. I just don't get this whole obsession about having a bigger screen.

The Samsung Galaxy S3 has a comically unwieldy oversized screen and it sells like hotcakes, and I tried one out and it was abysmal. I have large hands and I could not even remotely use the thing with any ease at all.

The iPhone's size was specifically designed and tested to be the biggest phone you could use with one hand. It's very simple to use and you can text with it with one hand without even looking at the screen.

Why would I want something that has almost twice the area and barley fits into my hand:

[​IMG]

Or my pocket.

Do people really enjoy using something that's so comically large or are they just lacking in sense and forward thinking?

2. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

something I've also noticed on my one x when compared to my iphone is that text is the same size. Sure there is more on screen, so less scrolling, but the text is the same size, so I dont get why people say they cant read the small text on the iphone so they want a bigger screen.

3. zbarvian macrumors 68010

Ah, the ravings of a lunatic.

Really, that's like asking why people want sports cars when compact cars are so much more economical. I love the iPhone as much as the next iPhone lover, but I still want a large screen. Because I do, that's why.

4. Radiating thread starter macrumors 65816

I've never noticed that, but that's actually a good point. Now I get the whole obsession with bigger even less.

----------

A better analogy would be why someone buy's a regular car when you can have this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDoRmT0iRic

lol :)

5. pear21 macrumors 6502

pear21

Um where do I get the Marauder?

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Seriously. I just don't get this whole obsession about worrying over what other people prefer. Use what works for you. Let others use what works for them.

What you want != what others want. Not sure why this notion is so difficult for so many to grasp. Simple observation of the real world should make this apparent.

7. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

8. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

That pic just reminded me how bad the GS3 screen is...and it's a dinner platter

9. BoxerGT2.5, Sep 4, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012

BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Yes industry wide people have been ripping the screen left and right. lol

It's atrocious, it really is. Most experts agree with you. lol

10. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

people just want more and more so in this case "bigger=better"

11. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

This is a very good point.

12. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

If we all had same interest then this world would be a boring place. If someone likes that size then let them be. They don't have to justify why they like it, and, just because they like it does not mean they are lacking sense. They could say the same thing about us for liking a smaller screen.

13. Cody21 macrumors 6502a

Cody21

I look at this like I look at having a truck. I had a car 2 months ago, now I have gas guzzling 5.4 liter V8. Why? Because I can do many more things with a truck versus a car. But the trade-off to that is the almost $100 I spend a week in gas. Some people wonder why I have a truck and want to spend that much. Why? Well 3 reasons. 1.) It's my money. 2.) I like it. 3.) I can do more. A bigger screen on the iPhone is something I would like to have. It's not exactly gonna kill me if I don't have it though.

14. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

That's your problem right there. You come into the S3 with the preconception that the phone's form factor must conform to the notion of being able to do every operation in the phone with a single hand. Why should it conform to that? Because Apple says so?

15. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Not all text.....

S3

[​IMG]

16. jeremiah256 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah256

Smart phones have become one of the most important items anyone, anywhere may own. It's kind of like how us Americans used to practically worship our cars. Your car choice said something about you and even if all you could afford was a beater, it still symbolized freedom.

Smart phones seem to be filling a similiar position for people all over the world. It symbolizes freedom, access to knowledge, speech, security, connectivity with the rest of humanity. We are arguing about inches when we should be proud of how many miles we've traveled with regard to this merger of phones, computers and video recording devices in only five years!

TL/DR: If someone wants a larger form phone, let them be.

17. AFDoc macrumors 68030

18. BuckeyeMac macrumors 6502

It's the same question as this:

What is up with people that think the 3.5" screen is the perfect size?

It's all personal preference, this thread is pointless. And yes I would prefer a bigger screen. Thanks

19. bad03xtreme macrumors 6502a

bad03xtreme

Don't hate me because I was blessed with large man hands... :p

20. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

Personally I never liked big phones cos I like to travel light. I dislike having bulky items in my pockets when I commute.

21. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

the GS3 is lighter then the iphone

22. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I will have to agree with this. Surprisingly the GS3 feels better in a pocket than the iphone b.c its shape and thinness. Yes, it is longer and wider, but it sits very flat.

23. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

Couple things here... Yes, I agree with the previous two posts. The GS3 feels better in my pocket than my 4S, I can barely tell it is there.

I can text much easier and faster with one hand using the GS3 than my iPhone. I have small hands, and it is still easier/faster on the GS3 because of Swipe to text.

I always held my iPhone with two hands, especially when typing because I type SOOO much faster with two hands on the iPhone. I actually use my GS3 with one hand more often than when I had my 4S. I like the GS3, I would like to see JB released for it before the new iPhone comes out (which would make sense for them to do). However, it makes more sense to stick with the Apple Ecosystem.

I look forward to getting to feel the new iPhone in my hands.

24. 3rd Rock macrumors 6502

I think OP, that some younger customers like a larger screen so it can be used as their main computer needs that is mobil. For me, not so. I like the iPhone 4S or the up coming iphone 5 screen size and would never purchase a wider screen cell phone. I to have large hands but the wider screen phones do not feel comfortable at all. Glad Apple see's it that way :p :D

The iphone has a solid feel as well. Not cheap plastic that is light in weight like the other Android phones. Since there are so many phones of different sizes, those that like it wider can go to them right now, and not bother coming to an iPhone and bad mouth it. Apple will not change for them as has been shown. Thank goodness..