what is up with "season's greetings"?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iOrlando, Dec 17, 2009.

1. iOrlando macrumors 68000

I received an email card today that said season's greetings. I sent it back and said you sent this to the wrong person.

Not sure what season's greetings is suppose to mean, and when you think about its a very stupid and pointless phrase.

i can say season's greetings every solstice or equinox throughout the year and chances are I wouldnt want to send you greetings anyway.

why do people do this?

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think all of my Christmas cards say that, its a non-religious greeting.

EDIT: Aside from sending cards to the Japanese - where a greeting like that is probably appropriate - I'm not concerned either way.

3. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Likely someone trying to be politically correct and short-circuit the Christmas holiday and de-emphasize the Birth of Christ; a pivotal event in the history of this earth and the Reason for the Season!!!

[​IMG]

4. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Pretty sure it's a non-denominational greeting that allows one to have to buy merely one set of cards.

5. iOrlando thread starter macrumors 68000

so people routinely send out spring season's greetings to people they never talk to any other time of the year...but are on a "list" of people that should receive pointless cards...right?

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I should also add that if I was sending cards to someone who was reasonably Christian I would try and send one with "Merry Christmas" and send "Seasons greetings" if they were a member of any other religion.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Oy vey :rolleyes:

It's someone not knowing the religious beliefs of the recipient and rather than guess at their religion, they sent out a card that covers everyone. There's no war on Christmas. There's no attempt to de-emphasize the birth of Christ (although the people who turn it into a commercial shopping holiday seem to be one ones doing that). Get over yourselves already.

8. iOrlando thread starter macrumors 68000

i get that. i guess my concern is more so over that particular phrase seasons greetings..

1) christian...merry christmas
    2) jewish - something related to that holiday (do they even send and receive cards for this)
    3) 3 kings - already celebrate christmas to a certain extent, but stress different parts of it...dont see any problem with sending merry christmas.
    4) if you aren't religious...why even send that person a card?

so my confusion is with the phrase seasons greetings...i cant seem to find any point or reason to it besides a pure commercial aspect to it.

9. remmy macrumors 6502a

I think your life must be pretty good if your biggest worry is the message someone put in a card to you when they hope to wish you well.

10. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Seriously, if you've never heard "season's greetings" before, you must be living in a cave. IMHO it's nasty to return a card. I get Christian Christmas cards all the time and I would never insult the sender by returning their card.

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The word season in Seasons Greetings has nothing to do with it being winter, summer, spring or fall. Season references the holiday season, the time when all of the major religions have a holiday and when the new year begins, it just so happens to be in the winter. It's basically saying "Greetings, have a great holiday season!" in fewer words.

12. iOrlando thread starter macrumors 68000

i try to understand why people do what they do. thats all. habits rule our lives it seems. i don't use the United States postal service unless I am required to send something in for some government agency such as the DMV. so this card swapping is of interest to me. if you want to wish me well...come visit me...bring me some non-sugared food item, protein, or chicken.

13. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

Personally, I think the card's message should reflect the beliefs of the sender not the recipient. I don't expect a Jewish person to wish me a Merry Christmas, but would gladly accept whatever goodwill they have to offer, in whatever form it's expressed. In fact, I'd prefer they include their own religion, because if they're my friend I respect that part of them and would never expect them to refrain from mentioning it.

I know there are some folks who make it a *huge* cultural war thing. But perhaps it is a *little* cultural battle thing. I think Christians perceive a suggestion that not only should they not say "Merry Christmas", but that they would be bigoted neanderthals if they do. That's hyperbole, to be sure, but I don't think Christian's are inventing it out of whole cloth.

Surely one is not inconsiderate to wish a Muslim Merry Christmas. I think it inconsiderate to expect someone to table their beliefs so as to not offend (via a throw-away greeting, at that!).

And then some people simply take offense at removing something meaningful and replacing it with a banality.

I'm agnostic, and I love it when someone say God Bless You, or may angels guard over you, etc. It's an expression of their best wishes for me. If they feel Christ came to bring me eternal life in paradise, cool. If you're right I hope to see you there, and in the meantime, I will have a good couple weeks. :)

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

If you have family and friends who live out of town, it's a lot cheaper to mail a $3 card for 44 cents than to buy a $400 plane ticket to visit. Not to mention if they have a lot of out of town friends and family, they'll need many plane tickets. And time off work to make their rounds :rolleyes:

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Fair enough :).

Its just like a birthday card ;).

Because Christmas is something that is also celebrated secularly in the UK.

16. iOrlando thread starter macrumors 68000

i so there are religious Christmas cards and non-religious Christmas cards, like Santa and Frosty cards. I get it.

17. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Where are you from? Are you new to the United States?

18. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Happy Festivus.

Attached Files:

19. iOrlando thread starter macrumors 68000

no...I just forgot the difference between the two. i should add...i always thought of christmas as a religious holiday, even in the late 1980s. So to me Santa is in a way, religious. So my situation is complicating.

20. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

I believe that if you care enough to go through the effort to send a card to someone you know them well enough to ask about their religious faith; if you don't then the thread starter was simply making a point that a generic "seasons greetings" message sounds very politically correct and overtly wishy washy... Secular holidays don't ignore the point of day and issue "seasons greetings" type sentiment; why should Christmas?

In the other related thread, we established there was and battles outbreak daily in that war....

It's a minor point those familiar with Christians should fully recognize; we take the Birth of Christ seriously...

21. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Got it. You're just making a point by pretending to be ignorant.

22. iOrlando thread starter macrumors 68000

No i edited that post since I original added that.

23. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yes, that's why they're standing outside Wal-Mart at 2 in the morning and will trample people to death for 10% off a flat panel TV. All in the name of Christ :rolleyes:

24. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

So why not celebrate on the date he was really born? Of course I would be in favor of moving it to a Monday or Friday so we can get a 3 day weekend out of the deal.

25. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I am in favor of celebrating the birth of all religious figures on consecutive days so we get at least a week off work. Moses on the 23rd, Mohammed on the 24th, Jesus on the 25th, FSM on the 26th, Bhudda on the 27th. And for the Atheists, we can celebrate the birth of nothing on the 28th.