What is UP with these manufacturers coming out with 7 inch tablets?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hcho3, Sep 27, 2010.

1. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I have iPad and it's 9.7 inch display. I think 7 inch is just too small...
    What do you all think?

2. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Why 7 inch ? Well when you try to build a tablet with all of the iPad's missing unnecessary 'features' (dual cameras, USB ports, crappy widescreen displays, sd card slots, HDMI output) you run the cost of the device up to $1000. So they have to cut cost somewhere.

My theory at least.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Depends on the resolution.

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I agree with you, IMO 7'' is just too small, but the reason you are seeing most manufactures at that size is that they are packaging more power on those things, more RAM, more power, larger batteries, so t a 9''+ screen will be too pricy.

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I read a comment on the AppleInsider forum earlier today that I think explains this pretty well, and I agree with the opinion. Everyone is trying to stay below the $499 entry price point, and the best way to do so is to stay small, but still call it a tablet to compete.

Cleverboy posted:
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=113401

6. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I don't see the point of them. I have a smartphone. Why would u want to walk around with a 7" smartphone that's not really a phone in your coat pocket.
    What's the point of a tablet if you can't create documents. I don't want to type my school paper on a 7" screen. The only advantage a 7" tablet gives you is comfortable two thumb typing, something I can do with my iPad in it's vertical position.

7. sineplex macrumors 6502

Simply put, right now nobody else can bring high yields of 9.7 or higher screens to market that are cost effective and reliable. Even apple isn't able to fully keep up with demand. But 7 inch screens are currently what is cheaper in volume and high in quality. Same goes with AMOLED's . . . which Samsung had to exclude from the Galaxy Tab at the last minute.

Eventually they will all have the large screens that people seem to dream about in about 2 more years as the market starts to mature. Right now it's 7-inch panels that are what the market will be able to bare. :p

8. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

I'd like to add that a coat pocket, or cargo pants, are pretty much the only places a 7" "tablet" will fit, because most pockets (pants, shirt, shorts etc) are barely large enough for a cell-phone.

9. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

Physical size is more important than resolution. Engadget posted some great photos comparing the physical dimensions of the iPad and the Blackberry device. I don't care how much resolution you throw at the Blackberry device, there is no way that programs such as the iWork Suite work well.

10. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

It's for sure not a size I'm interested in for me at all. Especially after using my iPad all this time. I might have thought I wanted it before, but not now.

I would be interested in it for my middle chlid as an ereader. I'm still pondering a kindle for her, I wish I could try out what I need to before buying.

But I agree it's price related....

11. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

I think that 9.7 inch in many cases is too large and the device becomes too heavy and too unwieldy, especially when you use it as an eBook reader. Besides its crippled operating system and lack of interface ports, the iPad's current form factor and weight are its greatest disadvantages.

12. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

You might have a point about the weight, but screen size has only a little bit to do with weight.

But where do get the cripple OS comment from? Everything I have seen of these other tablets show their operating systems are far less along and are crippled even worse than the iPad on 3.2. Plus 4.2 is right around the corner and will solve all that "cripple" you are complaining about. The other tablets might have a few software features that are attractive to people who like eye candy, but in terms of functionality the iPad (with 4.2) completely kills them.

Lack of interface ports isn't really a bad thing. Having only one port has it's advantages because it takes up less space and gives the device more room for it's battery. Battery life is a crucial part of tablets, and I think it's something that many people quickly forget. Also, what do you need more than one port for? I think the only downside of the iPad is that the dock connector can't be used to do more stuff. That isn't an issue of needing more ports, but really just needing the ability to do something like HDMI out, or tethering from an iPhone.

Going back to the size/weight thing. I think Apple did the best they could to get the weight down, but it's really tough to solve the weight thing and not run into issues with battery life. The VAST majority of the weight on the iPad is the battery, not the screen, casing, or other components. If they could come up with a way of keeping the same battery life but still slim down the iPad, it would be about perfect.

The weight is only an issue if you have weak/small hands anyway. I really doubt that there is a huge market clamoring for a 7 inch tablet. I think people right now don't really know what they want because it's still too new of a device to them. Many people want the iPad because it runs iOS and it exists on the market right now, unlike all these other tablets which haven't been released yet. So right now Apple has a huge advantage, and because they have a head start they will continue to have an advantage by a sizable margin going into the next couple years as well, assuming the iPad 2 is a nice step up from the 1st gen and they keep improving it every year.

13. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

7" is (in my humble opinion) the worst possible size.

A few inches smaller and I could fit the device in my pocket, and it would be a "take it everywhere" device. But at 7", it's too big, so I guess it gets a case and gets carried "sometimes" like one of those day-planner books.

A few inches bigger, and I could type easily on it. In landscape mode, I can type at full speed on my ~10" iPad. Rotate it to portrait and my typing speed drops off as the keyboard is too small. (and the Portrait keyboard on the iPad is actually bigger than the keyboard on the 7" tablets.)

So at 7" I have a device that's no longer ultraportable, that I can't sit down and do real work on. (sounds like a few of the "micro-sized" netbooks, eh?)

Yeah, if you want a "Media Consumption Device" I guess 7" might do the trick for you...

If I'm going to spend close to Notebook costs on a device, I want to be able to get work done on it. These device makers need to work out the data input side of the equation. Maybe a 7" screen with a projected keyboard that lets you tap away on your table top, or airplane tray.

Remember, an onscreen keyboard needs to be large enough for you to comfortably type -- and not cover so much of the screen that you can only see 3 lines of text...

14. hazmatzak macrumors regular

Not according to this:
    • 28% glass
    • 22% LCD screen
    • 21% battery
    • 20% back panel
    • 9% other components

15. mullman macrumors 6502

mullman

Completely agree.

A 7" device is for someone who does not want both a smartphone AND a tablet device.
    So it becomes a product that is not comfortably pocketable and yet isn't large enough to be the ultimate casual surfing/media-consuming device.
    Fail.

16. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

I would prefer a 7inch tablet. It is like twice the size of my phone so it would be a lot easier to browse on than my phone. And it would fit in my purse.

I don't carry my iPad with me because it is too big. I bought a larger purse for it but I just felt really awkward carrying such a large bag around. I've always been a minimalist as far as purses go.

I think that making it lighter would also make it more comfortable to read on.

17. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

They are doing it basing on rumors of future Apple products.

18. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I haven't seen all the specs for the competitive systems, but I think the reality is that the first gen iPad will prove to be "too big" for most mobile users. When you keep it on your coffee table or bedside table and use it for surfing on the couch or whatever, the size is fine. But when you travel all the time, already carry a laptop with you for "real work" and just want an auxiliary device....7" is likely FAR more ideal. Everything will just look crisper, the device is likely to be lighter and its a win all around.

19. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

U missed the point. Why would anyone want to put something that big in any pocket for tha matter. Tablets aren't supposed to be that mobile. Anything that needs to be done on a 7" tablet while walking, standing in an elevator, at a restaraunt, etc. can and should be done on a smartphone. People try to say that an iPad is a waste of money, but a 7" is clearly the waste. It crosses over into smartphone territory too much. The 9.7" iPad is clearly different from a smartphone just because of the iWork package. I've typed plenty of papers on my iPad. Would never do that on a 7"

20. Savor Suspended

Savor

So 3.5 inches is perfect for an iPhone and 9.7 is perfect fo the iPad. But 4-4.3 inches is too big for an iPhone and 7 inches is too small for an internet tablet. So unless Apple makes it, screen size is never perfect for these other manufacturers?

What might be "perfect" right now may not be perfect next year and a year after that. Why is that? Because that's evolution of technology. Current perfection can be improved.

It has been answered already. Likely cost and availability. But a 7 inch screen might also help with some portability. There are many Sony VAIO notebooks that have a similar size in screens.

21. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

On the other hand, some people might say that the iPad crosses over into the entry level laptop/netbook territory without being able to do some of the things that you can do on a laptop/netbook. I've typed plenty of papers on my laptop but I would never do that on my 9.7 inch iPad.

22. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I agree but the iPad is a device built on potential right now. Potentially it is a device that could obliterate the netbook, laptop. It can grow. The 7" tablet is what it is. At 7", it seems like you cut down it's chance to grow. I don't think it will ever be a device that people will use for creating business documents other than email. And email can be done on your smartphone. I guess I could understand a person owning a 7" if they have just a regular phone, but what business users don't have a smartphone.

23. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

LOL, different strokes for different folks.

For me, 9.7 inch is perfect, although I wouldn't mind it if it were a little bit lighter. And I'm curious to see how well the 7 and 5 inch tablets will do. On the one hand, I think they could be useful to certain people under certain conditions. On the other hand, I'm not sure how many people that would actually be.

Truth is, before the iPad was announced, I was wishing for a bigger iPod touch. I would have jumped at one if it were 5 or 7 inches. But now that I've gotten used to a 9.7 inch tablet, I know a 5 or 7 inch tablet wouldn't have given me as good of a user experience as an iPad. So I'm wondering if many people *think* they want a 7 inch tablet, only to find once they have one that it's not as useful / easy to use as they imagined. I guess we'll find out.

24. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

This is entirely dependent on what your expectations are for such a device. If all you are looking for is something to supplement a phone and a notebook that only consumes media and information, then I suppose a 7" device might prove to be successful.

Where the iPad really shines and proves its worth are the short work trips where all I know I need is a word processor, email client, browser, calendar, and ability to drive keynote presentations. For myself, and I assume many people, this is the bar that must be reached for true iPad competitors. It has to be able to replace a notebook for basic "real work" things some of the time, and have incredible battery life.

The two major factors for the viability of 7" devices are going to be price and battery life.

Basically, I think that 7" devices might succeed, but they aren't really iPad competitors.

25. Mr Bigs macrumors 6502a

Mr Bigs

A+++ somebody gets the picture !!! If Apple had made a 7" display then it would have been the golden standard.