What is /usr/local/bin/acaptured and why'd it just go berserk?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Makosuke, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Makosuke macrumors 603

I hate asking RTFM questions like this, but what the heck is the acaptured process?

It suddenly started eating 400% CPU on my MPB (4-core i7, so it really was 400%, with the heat to prove it) for about five minutes for no readily apparent reason, and while it dropped back to 0% (again for no reason), it's still holding 920MB of real memory.

Google seems to be coming up with absolutely no information whatsoever on what it is, a forum search shows nothing, and it has no man page. All I can seem to find is that it's located at /usr/local/bin/acaptured and is running as root, spawned by launchd, which tells me basically nothing.

2. dknightd macrumors 6502

if it is in /usr/local then chances are you (or somebody who has access to your computer) installed it. No idea what it does.

3. Makosuke thread starter macrumors 603

I finally tracked it down, based on the last-modified date and installer logs; it appears to be part of the DRM engine installed with the player for a Japanese video streaming service. I was impressed that they even had a Mac version at the time, but not so much now that I know that it's an incredible resource hog (I hadn't even played anything with it and it was sucking up a gig of RAM).

I suppose that's about as obscure as software gets. No uninstaller, either, so now I have to find where it scattered its crap on installation.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This may help:

5. Makosuke thread starter macrumors 603

Thanks for the suggestion, GGJstudios, but sadly there seem to be multiple sub-components (the DRM stuff, for example) that don't include any indication of what installed them in the filename or metadata, so a find-delete will be of little use. Heck, it's so bad that the player app is just called "Video Player"--it's like a lesson in how not to engineer software.

I guess there's a reason Japan makes a lot of cool hardware but most people can't name a single piece of software from the country that's not a game.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yep, it sounds like a mess. You might be able to find some by searching for the known name, then search for all files/folders installed around the same time. It's not 100% effective, but may help a bit. The other thing you could do is reinstall the software, then search for any files/folders created at the time you installed it.

7. williszeng macrumors newbie

I have the same problem

I have the same problem here. I try to kill the process but it keeps coming back and I found its something to do with adobe web pluginprocess. Have u installed adobe product and deleted it without correctly uninstall it? That might be the problem. Reinstall it and uninstall it properly or just leave it. That might solve the problem. Good luck. I register it just for this lol.:D

8. williszeng macrumors newbie

Nope it didnt work

It doesnt work. It still happens. :mad:

9. williszeng macrumors newbie

To me, it seemings like some kinda safari plugin. I use firefox now. It dosen't have the same problem.

10. williszeng macrumors newbie