What is with Australia passing this?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dukebound85, Sep 4, 2015.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/07/01/asia/australia-border-force-act

This seems quite backwards......Under new laws, any doctors, health care workers, and staff members at the Nauru, Manus Island and other detention centres can be imprisoned for up to 2 years for reporting child abuse, sexual assault or other inhumane acts that happen in these detention centres.

2. sim667 macrumors 65816

Yes I've read about this a few times now. We have to remember australia is an exceptionally racist country, it doesn't want a small thing like human rights at border detention centres getting in the way of its goals.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That is bizarre. I guess if you wanted to report it you could claim assylum.

4. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

Omg...

5. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Remind me - what's the nexus between racism and the reporting of sexual assault?

6. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Was going to ask the same thing. Can anyone on the left complete a sentence without an ism in it?

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

How would you describe a concentration camp?

8. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

I'll take that as a no.

Rhetorical question on my part.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Why the **** else would you make reporting sexual assault a crime? I mean seriously?

It is undoubtedly true that the left can be overly PC but this is a terrible example.

10. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

What? I think we're talking about different things, man.

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

ABUSE at the detention center could involve the staff.
    so GOD forbid you make the staff & by extension Australia look bad . the GOVT is going to tell you what to think & what to say as they see fit.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The thread is about the Australian government banning people working in its offshore refugee processing camps from reporting sexual assault and other serious abuses.

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I think the gist is that those refugees happen to be from different races . hence the racist implications.

14. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

It is shocking.

I'm surprised that the Commonwealth doesn't have more to say about it-- Australia, PNG, and Nauru all being full members, and Australia and PNG being Commonwealth Realms, no less.

Australia does have a real Constitution, and it includes freedom of religion, but not freedom of speech. There was an attempt to broaden civil rights in a referendum in 1988, but, it failed.

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yeah I guess that wasn't clear. Sorry for my part in that.

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

it's ok, I think there are a few reasons for this. it is a bit shocking to learn they don't have freedom of speech over there & this does not look good either.

17. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Right, and I was talking about the first response already injecting racism into it. What a miserable life some lead to constantly think everyone and everything around them is racist, sexist, homophobic, bigoted and whatever else the catchy buzzwords the left is using now. The only liberal on this board who seems to actually smile from time to time is @Renzatic.

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

apparently he is my alter, or I am his & Dec. so it all good :p

19. jerwin macrumors 65816

I'm reminded of the anti-disparagement laws designed to punish peta activists from making videos of farming operations.

Some of the "inhumane" practices are in fact unavoidable consequences of preparing animals to be eaten; and some are in fact examples of animal cruelty. By publishing these videos to naive audience, PETA may inspire consumers to give up meat, which damages the economic prospects of these agricultural sectors.

Some of the allegedly "inhumane" practices observed on Nauru are in fact unavoidable consequences of the Australian asylum policy, and some are in fact examples of human cruelty. By publishing those reports to a naive audience, these whistleblowers might inspire voters to give up on the Liberal Party, which damages the political prospects of the current government...

20. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

MIGHT inspire terrorist seeking refuge to hit Australia as well.

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If one is uncomfortable with how animals are treated before being killed for meat then one should become a vegetarian.

If one is uncomfortable with the realities of ones countries asylum policy then it should change.

22. Meister Suspended

Meister

23. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Renzatic has extremely cute kittens. Of course he smiles from time to time (photo hijacked from another thread). Reading about the Australian government over the past few years makes me sad. It's a really beautiful place, especially Tasmania.
    [​IMG]

24. jnpy!$4g3cwk, Sep 5, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2015

jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

The last of the White Australia policy was removed 40 years ago. Australia certainly does have a long history of racism ("which country doesn't?), but, I'm not sure Australia makes the top 50 countries today. It has changed a lot in the last 30 years -- since I first visited.

One thing that hasn't changed is that Australians generally want current Australian citizens to be employed before admitting others. They are often quite vocal about this, in fact. Unemployment can fuel xenophobia, in Australia and everywhere else, including in the United States and Canada.

What do you consider "the left"?

It is true that when distressing things happen in the world, there is an image that we all look to in order to soothe our troubled minds:

[​IMG]

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/26/technology/in-a-big-network-of-computers-evidence-of-machine-learning.html?
    _r=0

25. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

It is very backwards and thankfully has been met with a major backlash domestically. It is the culmination of a terrible era in australian politics with a series of political parties fanning the flames of racism and xenophobia ever since 9/11. It has been incredibly sad. I'll try and provide some context of how this has evolved.

In recent times the first politician to try and capitalise on the growingly racist and xenophobic underbelly of australia was john howard, a particularly nasty right wing politician. Amongst political mileage he gained from 9/11 (despite it being on the other side of the world) was the awful episode of the tampa affair, where howard contrived a plan to shirk australia's refugee responsibility to over 400 asylum seekers whom were rescued from their distressed fishing vessel by a norwegian freighter. Instead of allowing the freighter to dock in australian waters howard oversaw an atrocious campaign where he tried to have the ship turned away to other countries under military threat as well as threats of charging the captain with people smuggling (the man is a hero for saving that many lives at sea). Howard eventually lost the battle although was strongly supported by the australian public - 77% polled in favour of his actions at the time - it was disgusting and utterly boggling.

Amongst his other racists and xenophobic positions to win votes were the children overboard scandal where the howard government lied barefaced that refugees were throwing their children into the sea to blackmail passage to australia. It was of course a complete lie but was too good a right wing story to demonise asylum seekers. Howard's overall legacy is being responsible for whipping up such an toxic atmosphere in australia that it culminated in the cronulla race riots where hoards of "white" australians indiscriminately attacked people they believed to be of middle eastern heritage. In the end after being an incredibly successful politician by fanning racism and xenophobia he eventually had the honour of failing so spectacularly that he lost his own seat.

Since that time we've had atrocious run of politicians aping his policies. We had a equally nasty (or perhaps worse) left-wing government of rudd and gillard (initially voted in unanimously on a platform of being more humane to asylum seekers) being equally atrocious in competing for the racist and xenophobic vote by pursing ever more inhumane positions on off-shore refugee processing. This resulted in children continuing to be locked in detention despite strong evidence from experts in the system of the physical and psychological effects this was having on them. It was an absolutely horrific episode again. The deaths of dozens of people during the christmas island boat tragedy on the gillard watch did nothing to soften their line because the votes kept on coming.

And now we have abbott, who is perhaps the nastiest and out of touch right wing politician australia has seen, who has taken a "hard line" of "turning back" refugee boats at sea. He has gone to the extent of hiding any information about refugee boats entering australia waters. As an extension of trying to control the message he has attempted to pass many laws such as that in the OP. He has limited access to detention centres and has gone so far as to spy on visiting politicians. Abbott has set up the comically named police offshoot "Border force" to enforce his policies. Recently this new police force announced they were going to patrol a major capitol city to randomly check people met "visa requirements". Thankfully they immediately got slapped down by protests and embarrassingly slunk away and tried to pretend that wasn't their aim after all.

It has been a terrible era for australian politics with racism and xenophobia providing such political currency. Sadly there doesn't seem to be an end in sight. Despite scathing international condemnation from governments and international right groups. In this aspect australia couldn't be more behind or terrible currently.