What is you wishlist for iOS 5 on iPad (now with multi choice poll)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ani23, Apr 10, 2011.

?

What's your IOS 5 wishlist?(multiple choice)

1. Flash

64 vote(s)
    30.5%
  2. Support multiple simultaneous apps in a windowed fashion.

74 vote(s)
    35.2%
  3. Common filesystem access (iDisk)

106 vote(s)
    50.5%
  4. Chrome + 3rd party browsers

38 vote(s)
    18.1%
  5. Password protect acess to apps

63 vote(s)
    30.0%
  6. Guest user capability.

48 vote(s)
    22.9%
  7. Upload files from browser.

90 vote(s)
    42.9%
  8. USB drive transfer

76 vote(s)
    36.2%
  9. No more threads complaining what iOS doesn't have

62 vote(s)
    29.5%
  10. Rainbows and unicorns.

47 vote(s)
    22.4%
  11. Safari Reader

19 vote(s)
    9.0%
  1. ani23, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2011

ani23 macrumors 6502

Realistic or not. Go for it.

1. Support multiple simultaneous apps in a windowed fashion.
    2. Common filesystem access
    3. Chrome + 3rd party browsers
    4. Password protect acess to apps
    5. Guest user capability.
    6. Upload files from browser.
    7. Better keyboard when editing text to move up down left right.

Will try and attach a poll later with the most popular requests.

Great ideas from others

1. Proper tabbed browsing
    2. A youtube app that takes less than 15mins to d/l a 1min clip! For the love of god
    3. Google maps with many more features than currently available, brought in line with the blackberry google maps for example (sign in..layers..voice search...starred locations..)
    4. More robust wi fi connections
    5. Expose for apps currently running from homescreen (gesture..)

6.Safari reader.

7. Better, less obtrusive notifications: I hate it when I'm watching a video only to have it interrupted with a big blue dialog box in the middle of the screen!

8.Cloud based syncing of app data, universal apps pick up on the iPhone right where you left off... (would obviously be a developer option)

9. Option to kill all backgrounded apps in one go.

10. Swipe gestures.

11. Flash.

Other ahem good ideas

Rainbows n unicorns
    Make all iOS problem threads go away
    To be able to make me nespresso in the morning.
    Solve global warming

2. aicul macrumors 6502a

an extension to the iDsik app so that I can really do file management between Apps on the iPad and have only one point of transferall from iPad to imac/MM

3. thibaulthalpern macrumors regular

As for 1 and 2, I don't see any reason why the iPad needs to operate like a regular computer. iOS is trying to take us to a different plane of computing that is BEYOND the metaphor of windows and typical filesystem access. It's not exactly clear what other metaphor can be used but thus far, iOS is successful. Yes, I do agree that some form of filesystem access is useful within the model of computing we're using but there might be another way to handle this. In other words, can we find a way where increasingly computers handle the file management stuff while we just worry about the content of the files?

I think password protected app is a good idea. This way, I can lend someone the iPad without worrying they'd peek through my email.

4. ani23 thread starter macrumors 6502

Doesn't have to be windowed as long as I can view live tv/video while checking mail/ surfing

Filesystem mainly because I don't want my files from wuala, pages, notes etc to reside in islands by themselves. I should be able to use compatible apps to open them from a single location and all my apps should be able to access files regardless of whether they reside locally or in the cloud.

5. dmaul1114, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2011

dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

Some type of common files system (or other equally workable solution) so I can do things like attach multiple different files to an e-mail rather than sending multiple e-mails etc.

Support for usb drives so I can get files on and off the device when traveling without having to use e-mail/cloud and have access to a computer.

I don't expect to get any of that. I've pretty much accepted that the iPad is just going to be a fun toy for me, and I'll have to wait for MS or someone else to put out a tablet that's closer to a computer so I can actually do my work on it when traveling etc.

And nothing wrong with that! I love it as a multimedia gadget, news reader, web surfer etc. and just stick with my laptop when traveling for work and leave the iPad at home.

I'd love to have a tablet with the stuff above, MS office etc. as they're so much thinner and lighter to travel with than even a netbook (and I can't justify buying a netbook since I don't travel all that often and wouldn't use it at home). But there's no tablet out currently that I could do the work I need to do while traveling on, and I doubt any will come out any time soon as they're all focused on being iPad like personal use devices for the time being.

6. Carouser macrumors 65816

Wish #1: It will be something that everyone will be mostly happy with, so we don't have dozens of threads over and over complaining about what iOS 5 doesn't have.

Wish #2: It will let people accomplish the tasks they think they need a file system for, without having a filesystem (as commonly conceived).

I'm not sure which one is less realistic.

7. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

App Store multitasking. Totally bugging me it's closing everytime you download an app.

8. XXFirefighter macrumors regular

Rainbows and Unicorns !
    I just want my ipad2 to be delivered !

[​IMG]

9. Evmanw macrumors regular

Evmanw

#1 is less likely than flash which is NOT happening;)

10. Evmanw macrumors regular

Evmanw

11. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Some better or alternate multitasking would be nice. I had to switch between stuff a lot last night, and double-tapping the home button and then selecting the app was kind of a lot of "work" to do. Using a keyboard, perhaps SHIFT-COMMAND-TAB could be an option. I guess some three-finger swipe could work as well.

It would also be nice if FUNCTION-DELETE on the Apple wireless keyboard worked to delete items to the cursor's right in iOS like it does on Mac OS. Didn't happen in Pages for me.

12. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

Jailbreak and download the app called locktopus

13. ani23 thread starter macrumors 6502

14. HardLuckStories macrumors regular

1. Proper tabbed browsing
    2. A youtube app that takes less than 15mins to d/l a 1min clip! For the love of god
    3. Google maps with many more features than currently available, brought in line with the blackberry google maps for example (sign in..layers..voice search...starred locations..)
    4. More robust wi fi connections
    5. Expose for apps currently running from homescreen (gesture..)
    6. To be able to make me nespresso in the morning.

15. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

You missed out the one thing I really hope iOS 5 brings: Better, less obtrusive notifications: I hate it when I'm watching a video only to have it interrupted with a big blue dialog box in the middle of the screen!

16. ani23, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2011

ani23 thread starter macrumors 6502

These are good. Not sure if I can edit the poll :confused:

Darn it another good one.

17. gofightlose macrumors member

gofightlose

yeah, I would have to vote for better notifications too, along with more multitouch gestures like those in the dev build, and like someone else said a more expose like alternative to multitasking. And it know it would be hard to implement, but a more multi-user friendly ipad would be nice. Our ipad is considered the 'family' ipad and usually sits in the kitchen, it's a pain having to log in/out of facebook, email, etc.

18. HommePomme macrumors member

Cloud based syncing of app data, universal apps pick up on the iPhone right where you left off... (would obviously be a developer option)

19. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

An option to close all backgrounded apps in one go.

20. jdcell100 macrumors regular

21. ani23 thread starter macrumors 6502

Some really great ideas. Does anyone know if the mods can reset or modify the poll for me?

22. bpear96 macrumors member

What I want in iOS 5 is a feature that is in chrome were when you highlight something and then right click there's a option to search for what you highlighted this can be down on the iPad just like copy and paste is done