What is your battery charge cycle number on your brand new rMBP?

sevimli

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
ChiTown
I received mine yesterday, after checking system details I saw that my rMBP has 5 cycles on it.

It is not my first Mac product, all other laptops I owned before had 0 or 1 cycles on them.

Is this because of the rigorous quality testings? :confused:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I received mine yesterday, after checking system details I saw that my rMBP has 5 cycles on it.

It is not my first Mac product, all other laptops I owned before had 0 or 1 cycles on them.

Is this because of the rigorous quality testings? :confused:
It's quite possibly because of testing, but it's certainly not enough to worry about.

guspasho

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2011
Should I want to keep that number down? How do I best do that? Should I drain the battery as much as I can before recharging it instead of recharging it all the time?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Should I want to keep that number down? How do I best do that? Should I drain the battery as much as I can before recharging it instead of recharging it all the time?
No, that won't keep your cycle count down. Read WHAT IS A CYCLE? in the following link. Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug at any time, regardless of the charged percentage. Just make sure you don't run on AC power all the time, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions:

BC-2

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2012
I've had mine for two days and it currently has 3 cycles on it. I know for sure I've personally have put at least one cycle so it probably had 1 maybe 2 when it came out of the box.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2009
Colorado
I've had mine for 2 weeks... and it has 3 cycles on it... Maybe I should unplug more often to maintain good health!

NikkiJayne

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2012
England
Mine is on 4and I got it yesterday. I left it downloading overnight plugged in so I know at least one is by me, probably 2.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Mine is on 4and I got it yesterday. I left it downloading overnight plugged in so I know at least one is by me, probably 2.
Very doubtful. A cycle means 100% drained and 100% charged. So if it drains 20% then is charged 20% while sitting on a charger, it will stay at 20% of a single cycle until its on battery again (barring the 1% you may lose from the charger disabling itself while on AC power)....so unless you have used it on battery and recharged it for about 15 hours since yesterday, it came with some cycles down.

NikkiJayne

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2012
England
Very doubtful. A cycle means 100% drained and 100% charged. So if it drains 20% then is charged 20% while sitting on a charger, it will stay at 20% of a single cycle until its on battery again (barring the 1% you may lose from the charger disabling itself while on AC power)....so unless you have used it on battery and recharged it for about 15 hours since yesterday, it came with some cycles down.
Oh weird. That sucks!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I was not implying anything for 5 cycles, I am wondering whether I got a refurbished or returned unit... :confused:
No, refurbished Macs are given a different serial number that identifies them as refurbished and they are only available though Apple's online refurb store. Apple doesn't sell returned or refurbished items as new.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Mine came with 0 cycles which I was actually pretty surprised to see (I would have expected one or two cycles from testing).