What is your experience so far with your new 5s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rich32gb5s, Oct 21, 2013.

1. rich32gb5s macrumors regular

Now that increasing 5s orders are being fulfilled , what do you think so far?

2. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

Very vague thread. I got mine Saturday. I'm liking it.

3. rich32gb5s thread starter macrumors regular

That's great. Your reply is more vague I think :) Any more information ? What do you like about it ? :)

4. dave420 macrumors 65816

The battery seems awful. It dies on me almost every day, which has never happened before. I'm having the same issue with my iPhone 4S as well, so I am thinking it is an iOS 7 issue. I have tried numerous things to help with the battery. No luck so far.

5. joeluken macrumors member

- Sleep/wake button made an annoying rattle noise.

- The home button/Touch ID made a loud "cheap sounding" click noise when pressed.

-The inclinometer didn't work properly and was out by several degrees. Don't know if this is hardware, software or both.

- Some BSOD crashes.

Been an iPhone user for 3 years and this is worst experience so far. Returned the 5S for refund. :(

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I've so far owned every iPhone model except the 5C. Got my 5S a little before October 1, and I'm loving it. No crashes, no blue screens, reception and battery are both great.

I do have two outstanding issues:

1. The level is 4 degrees off

2. There appears to be a bug where using the scrubber for a playing music file from the lock screen doesn't update the actual Music app as to the new playing position... so if you open the music app after scrubbing from the lock screen, the playback jumps back to the old position.

I fully expect these to be fixed via software update, and these negatives are far outweighed by the positives.

7. Dave Felix, Oct 21, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2013

Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

I had the iPhone 5.. its alright I guess. Battery isn't the best in my opinion.

8. seble macrumors 6502a

Terrible battery life. I'm on my second model and start as a new phone. Could get to 11pm with 20% on my iPhone 4, my 5S is on 50% come 4pm whether I touch it or not!

The old phone would restart itself frequently, especially in the photos app or when taking a picture.
    And this one 5 minutes ago just blue-screened and restarted also.

Beautiful phone very quick, great update from iPhone 4, terrible terrible crashes and battery. Making me consider another phone, I can't live with battery life as bad as what this gives.

9. CEmajr macrumors 601

Great so far. Battery life is better than the 5. Only issue though is that it's crashing more often than any iPhone I've ever had before. It crashed twice yesterday and once today. Might be an iOS 7 thing I'm not sure. For comparison I would say that every other iPhone I've had only crashed maybe once every other month.

10. mirz2000 macrumors regular

Love it! Battery life has been better for me than my previous phone (4S). Love the fingerprint sensor. Also, since I skipped the 5, I am enjoying some of the things that 5 users already had, like the larger screen, the darker "off" display, the lighter phone itself. I am still not totally in love with iOS7, but what can you do.

11. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

The home button click isn't cheap at all. It's sturdier, so that's why it feels clicky. I don't understand people that think it feels cheap.

My 4S was my first iPhone and moving to a 5S, I am overwhelmed by the upgrade. The 5S is a beast, incredibly fast, excellent battery life, flawless screen and aluminum body, zero crashes or freezing/glitches. Although it feels more fragile than my 4S, I cannot complain. The extra .5" screen is perfect.

12. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

Did you restore the phone at all? It shouldn't be crashing as much as that, and battery life will sort itself out after about a week or two of operation/running down etc as that's how the batteries/phones are designed so don't be too alarmed at first.

13. seble macrumors 6502a

Sorry probably wasn't clear in my first post. Got the 5S on launch. setup as new. It had terrible battery and crashed very frequently, got returned last Friday. New model, setup as new phone, terrible battery life, one major BSOD crash this afternoon. Btw when I say crash i mean restart... So yeah we'll see about this new battery.

14. nitromac macrumors 6502

My battery life's been pretty good compared to what I keep hearing. Not as good as my 4S on iOS6 but that is iOS7's fault because my 4S (which I gave to someone) has much less battery life on iOS7.

The rest of the phone has been great. I can't believe people are complaining about a clicky home button. Jesus christ.

15. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

16. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

I know, the complaint about the "clicky" home button annoys the hell out of me. I happen to love the new home button, way more responsive. Sometimes the old home button would be too soft and wouldn't register the press, but now you know for sure that it's been pressed. But again, out of all complaints, the home button one bothers me the most.

17. EvoNiner1986 macrumors regular

LOVE LOVE LOVE my 5S! Great battery life, and it does everything I need it to do.

18. bp1000 macrumors 65816

Best iPhone since the 3G which I loved dearly in its day

19. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Pretty bad. Terrible build quality. A terrible home button that makes a sticky noise. Which should not be happening on a phone this expensive when no other iPhone did it.

the OS is horrible lol. The fingerprint sensor keeps forgetting my fingerprints after a few days. Battery is OK.

I have an iPhone 5 as well, and the speeds are nearly identical.

my 5S has a very very warm tinted screen that looks NOTHING like the displays at the Apple store.

Returning as soon as I get a chance for a nice full 812$ refund. And am finally trying out a Nexus. Had every iPhone except 5C, never had any problems this bad.

Whats worse is I paid full retail of the phone and I feel very ripped off.

20. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

That's funny my 5S is opposite. Fingerprint reads my finger 100% of the time, the battery is oodles better than my 4S, the battery life is my favorite thing about it. My home button makes a click noise not a "sticky noise", whatever that means. By the way, buttons are supposed to click. You have a 5 already why did you get the 5S? You're blowing it up and overreacting and being misleading. The 5S is better than the 5 as it should be. People like you are annoying. I hope before you can return your 5S you drop it in the toilet.

21. dwarnecke11 macrumors 6502

Compared to my 4S, it seems to take ages to charge when plugged into my iMac.

22. ughbrandon macrumors member

Ive had a horrible experience, battery low, screen loose, touch ID is defective.

23. jamesgf macrumors member

I'm liking it so far, upgraded from a 4s so it seems much faster. No problems yet, no crashes, gyros working (off ~1 degree), battery life has is has gotten better over the last two days. The screen has a cooler color temp than my 4s. TouchID works every time. Home button has a louder click but it doesn't bother me.