What is Your Fav OS of all time, Old or New. OS WARS!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ceezy3000, Apr 7, 2009.

1. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

Whats your favorite OS of all time? whether it be new or old. What makes it your favorite? Why? Whether windows 3.0 mac os 8.5, ANYTHING. whether mac linux windows. im just curious to see how many people will say mac os x leopard or how many people will say otherwise. ONly rule is it can't be an os yet to be seen. SO you can't say snow leopard unless you've had your hands on it.
    OS WARS!!!!
    P.S. no ragging on anyone

2. SpartanT1g3r macrumors newbie

3. ceezy3000 thread starter macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

Mac OS 9
    (just cus the rainbow apple in the menu bar) hahaha

4. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

5. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

From MS : DOS
    From Apple: Leopard
    From linux: Open SUSE
    Favorite of all time: Leopard

Basically anything that works well on PPC.

6. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

7. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Leopard.

System 8 and Windows 95 for nostalgia value.

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Windows XP, with a more polished Leopard (Snow leopard maybe?) a close second.

Ya rly.

Windows XP has for a long time and continues to handle everything everyone throws at it. Leopard has it easy, it's all running under a controlled environment. XP has to be adaptable, and it is fantastically so.

9. politickle macrumors member

My XP experience has been completely different. It couldn't handle anything that I would throw at it.

I guess my favorite is Tiger.

10. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

I don't think you can really fairly compare old and new operating systems.

Maybe what you mean is best for its time. In which case it would be BeOS, end of story. There's things BeOS did right over 10 years ago that none of the currently operating systems are doing properly. A close second would be AmigaOS

11. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

DOS 3.3 on an Apple ][ Plus.......my first computer.

S-

12. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

Mac OS 8.0 - the first real upgrade since 7.1

13. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

I wouldn't say Xp did anything fantastically to begin with. To begin with it was internet naïve, unprotected and had a high number of vulnerabilities and exploits. By SP2 most of this was under control. The much maligned Vista is far safer and secure out the box than XP. Likewise, aside from a funky colour scheme (Microsoft's attempt to mimic Aqua without the sophisticated compositing, translucency and shadows) Windows XP was very similar to what is regarded as the best version of Windows ever: Windows 2000 (NT 5).

As for Leopard having it easy: this is purely an engineering decision now. Despite this I'd also note that many people seem to get OS X on hackintoshes and netbooks with little more strife than it took to get the average Linux distro running a few years back.

My Picks (from what I have used):
    Mac OS X 10.1 had the cleanest implementation of the Aqua UI, there were no metal windows, unified toolbars, non-standard toolbar buttons in Mail, purple scroll bars, black sidebars and a whole lot of other inconsistencies Apple has introduced. It was also the first stable version of OS X, the first to run Microsoft Office and Photoshop. It wasn't done, but it was the first OS X version to be good enough to use day-to-day and that was significant. And the contrast with what we had been using was stark. Aqua looked lovely.

Mac OS 9 is a good shout as well, because configured correctly it was at least as stable as the DOS based versions of Windows it was competing with, yet it added new impressive features like USB printer sharing, multiple users and the keychain to what was essentially old, fairly neglected technology. It also allowed for the transition to OS X by running carbon apps and running inside the classic emulator.

14. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It's not perfect, but it is utterly flexible and compatible. I think that goes a long way.

15. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

16. ZunePod macrumors regular

17. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

18. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I liked BeOS, and used to use Warp 3 at school. I found it fascinating :)

19. Skweeky macrumors member

My fave is Leopard, but i must admit to still having a soft spot for AmigaDOS and to a lesser degree, Workbench.

20. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

I have 4, in order of usage, not preference.

1) GEM

My first home computer with a GUI was an Atari STE. I had a 48K Sinclair Spectrum before that!

I then used a Mac for the first time on high school work experience to do DTP. That introduced me to Quark Xpress and the Mac OS. So that was probably...

2) Mac OS 6

I spent years wishing I could afford a Mac after that but knew even though the clock speeds were faster than an Atari TT or Falcon 030, they were up to 10 x the price without even a keyboard or mouse so I waited and waited then it was...

3) Mac OS 8

I loved it, used it at work all the time and on my first Powermac too, a G3 desktop which incidentally died on me finally the other week. After that I'd say it's the most up to date mac os I've actually used/got installed....

4) Mac OS 10.4.11

Although I'm looking forward to getting an Intel mac eventually and seeing how Leopard/Snow Leopard works for me too.

21. Lordedmond macrumors regular

Poly Dos

bet that made you think , it ran on a nascom , pre Sinclair days ran on a zilog z80 cpu 1k video ram and 8 k system ram

a much better OS that CPM

BTW Nascom's had to be built from the ground up each chip soldered in place

22. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

23. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

24. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Leopard: You can run any other OS on it:
    - via BootCamp: MS Windows...
    - Virtual Machines: all previous Mac OS + other crappy OS
    - It's the OS