Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nicolecat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
I read this review by the NY Times...
and ran across a few 3rd party apps that were mentioned.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/09/technology/personaltech/09pogue.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Got a little more curious and youtubed it.
Essentially...you can transfer incoming calls onto the wifi connection. (So, they become free minutes) woot!
*note-this is available for the original iphones with the free upgrade (also in the review) :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNoq5w3mkMU

Edit: I don't know how to embed...so feel free to do so if you want. :)

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
*note-this is available for the original iphones with the $10 upgrade (also in the review) :eek:

Actually, the 2.0 upgrade is availible for free to iPhone users. The $10 fee is to the iPod Touch users, who wouldn't be able to use this app being as, they don't have a phone.

Nicolecat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
my bad...I skimmed over the last part of the first page.

It's fixed now. :)

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
awesome!
now if only we could send text messages through wifi this easily and still using our phone number...........get on it devs!

Nicolecat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
Not to be confused with icalls. Which just keeps track of number/length of your calls.

But...I can't wait either.

this could almost mean that I could choose a lower minute level plan. (I'm always in wifi hotspots. :rolleyes:

"Another, called G-Park, exploits G.P.S. to help you find where you parked."

"...Urbanspoon, is “a cross between a magic eight ball and a slot machine:" you shake the phone, and it randomly displays the name of a good restaurant nearby, using the iPhone’s G.P.S. and motion sensor."

-The New York Times

I am soooo excited. :p

I know there is more out there...who's heard of other good ones? :confused:

Emulsion

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
I like the AIM app. But I'm not sure if it counts as a text message when you send/receive an IM or just as data... anyone know?

My current phone on AT&T counts it as a text message with AIM. But the way I see it, that would be dumb because someone could just make an app that uses it through data. So no matter what, an IM client will be free... with the $30 data plan. What Im hoping for is an IM client that can send txt messages to people through the data waves, and not the Message waves. Similar to the way you can send a text to a phone in iChat. That way more and more people can get on the IM way, and get away from the text message way. But if that happens it would surprise me if AT&T included the txt price in the plan and jacked it up to $40 just to get the money your not spending.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
The number 1 app I'm looking for is a good eBook reader that has some way to transfer text files to for reading. I'm also looking forward to AOL Radio.

mailliw

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2008
A remote-control app using bluetooth to control my PSP's dvd. That would be sublime.

bumfilter

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2004
awesome!
now if only we could send text messages through wifi this easily and still using our phone number...........get on it devs!

Why would you want to send SMS over wifi? Surely your provider would charge less than any app could?

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
"...Urbanspoon, is “a cross between a magic eight ball and a slot machine:" you shake the phone, and it randomly displays the name of a good restaurant nearby, using the iPhone’s G.P.S. and motion sensor."

That's the coolest thing I've ever heard.

Why would you want to send SMS over wifi? Surely your provider would charge less than any app could?

Surely you're joking?

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
Password Manager (Splash ID hopefully), plus some time-wasters like Sudoku (EnjoySudoku have promised a native version of their fabulous web app).

bumfilter

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2004
That's the coolest thing I've ever heard.

Surely you're joking?

No not really! I would get charged 12p per text (over my free allowance), I'm sure if I phoned up and asked for a bundle of say 200 extra per month they could to that for a half decent price. Maybe US users would like it more, I'm not that interested in such a thing but I don't text too much anyway.

Would people really want this?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I'm easy to please, all I want is a text editor with sftp capabilities.

Preferably an iPhone version of Coda, but I'll be more than happy to settle for TextWrangler for the iPhone (H***, I'll even pay the full price for BBEdit, if they bundle in an iPhone version ;)).

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
Would people really want this?

The U.S. carriers charge about 20 cents for every text, sent or received. For 200 texts, it costs 5 dollars per month. For 1500 texts, it costs 15 dollars per month.

Remember, sent and received.

An app to send texts to mobile numbers and receive from mobile numbers would be great, but I doubt it would work considering the SMS on the iPhone would also be trying to receive the same message.

jalpert

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
I had no idea Neverball was going to be on the appstore for free! For those of you that don't know Neverball, it's very similar to Monkey Ball, less polished but free. Even if you buy monkey ball this is a good companion.

bumfilter

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2004
The U.S. carriers charge about 20 cents for every text, sent or received. For 200 texts, it costs 5 dollars per month. For 1500 texts, it costs 15 dollars per month.

Remember, sent and received.

An app to send texts to mobile numbers and receive from mobile numbers would be great, but I doubt it would work considering the SMS on the iPhone would also be trying to receive the same message.

So if I wrote an app that let you SMS from your number via a dedicated app for say 12 cents per message would that be worthwhile? Replies would come back to the normal iPhone SMS app.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
So if I wrote an app that let you SMS from your number via a dedicated app for say 12 cents per message would that be worthwhile? Replies would come back to the normal iPhone SMS app.

It probably wouldn't be. First off, no one is going to buy an app like that as a subscription based service. The whole reason to get away from carrier texting is to not have to pay a set rate on every message.

In the case of the app you just mentioned, how would you make the text conversation threaded?

So most people will get either the 200 text plan (for 5 bucks) or the 1500 (for 15 bucks). Your proposed application would cut down the number of texts you need on your plan in half. That means that those with the 200 plan would still want to keep their plan, and the people with 1500 would still keep theirs, as 750 is still too much for the plan below it.

Unfortunately, I don't see any solution to this problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.