What is your favorite holiday song?

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
There are so many, and the artist matters of course. Bing doing White Christmas will always be my choice over any rap version. Of course I am getting old too!

But my favorite is come all ye faithful and I like the Bing version too.

As far as albulm I have to go with Johhny Mathis or Nat King Cole. :)

Now some of these are Christmas songs and not Holiday necessarily, many are secular though.

I Love Handel's Messiah A lot!!!!!!!!

What do you like to hear during the Holiday season? What memories do some songs bring?

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
My favorite song is "Santa's Comin' In a Whirlybird", though I do like "Rockin' around the Christmas Tree" as well. Christmas songs cheer me up, and give me memories of family and what not.

Roger1

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2002
Michigan
I like Halleluja by Manheim steamroller. Great song. I also like Do you hear what I hear? I think Whitney Houston sings it. Another Great song :)

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
im not a fan of holiday music to be honest, it just doesnt suit me, or i havent found an artist that i like

anyone know of any new-age enya-esque type of holiday music? i think holiday music should be relaxing, and new-age fits that bill

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
PlaceofDis said:
im not a fan of holiday music to be honest, it just doesnt suit me, or i havent found an artist that i like

anyone know of any new-age enya-esque type of holiday music? i think holiday music should be relaxing, and new-age fits that bill
Mannheim Steamroller, who Roger1 mentioned, fit that bill, more or less. Some of their stuff is more up-tempo, but they're definitely new-agey.

I'm a big fan of one of Harry Connick Jr's Christmas albums - When My Heart Finds Christmas.

williamsonrg

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
Denver, CO
Manheim Steamroller and Trans-Siberian ORchestra ("Christmas Eve in Sarajevo" rocks) are both good.

I'm also a big fan of any version of "Carol of the Bells" and "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen".

But the BEST? "Christmas at Ground Zero" (Weird Al) and the song from "Love, Actually"

Spymit007

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2004
Massachusetts
"Wonderful Christmastime" by Paul McCartney. It always brings a smile to my face when I hear it. So cheesy with the synthesizer but good nonetheless.

Macaddicttt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2004
San Diego, CA
My favorite would have to be "O, Holy Night," but it has to be a good version. I've heard it butchered tons of times. But what qualifies as a good version, you ask? The best version I ever heard I heard a few days ago. I went to the lighting of the National Christmas Tree on the Ellipse in front of the White House and they did a really good version. Most of the songs they sung were pretty corny, but they had this one opera singer sing "Silent Night" and "O, Holy Night." It doesn't get much better than a renown opera singer accompanied by a choir and the Marine Band singing my favorite Christmas song.

Edit: Sorry Scem0, but I consider Mariah Carey's version as butchering... Sorry, I just don't like her...

lavar78

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2003
I'm a sucker for "The Chipmunk Song" by The Chipmunks, "Christmas Time Is Here" by the Vince Guaraldi Trio (from A Charlie Brown Christmas), and "Jingle Bell Rock" by Bobby Helms. My favorite traditional song is "What Child Is This." My favorite albums are The Jackson 5 Christmas Album and Someday at Christmas by Stevie Wonder.

trebblekicked

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2002
Chicago, IL, USA
"the carol of the bells" by david benoit and "sleigh ride" by the john pizzarelli trio. good jazz christmas stuff.

"o come o come emmanuell" by belle and sebastian
"christmas card from a hooker in minneapolis" by tom waits

"merry f***ing christmas" by mr garrison

StarbucksSam

macrumors 65816
Nov 21, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I'm Jewish but I don't really like the Hanukkah songs. I like the Ukranian Bell Carol a lot, I think that's what it's called... and I like the Jingle Bell rock.

dvdh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2004
stubeeef said:
I Love Handel's Messiah A lot!!!!!!!!
Agreed there. Question: what recording of it do you have. I am looking for a good one, preferable on vinyl.