Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maxvamp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 26, 2002
Somewhere out there
Being a switcher or two years, I am really not liking the squishy nature of the mac keyboards, and I am looking for a replacement. I don't want to drop in a PC keyboard replacement, as I would rather not lose my CD eject key.

Anyone have a favorite non-apple keyboard they could recommend?

Thanx,

Max

kaltsasa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2002
Kellogg IA
Logitech Internet Keyboard, 28 bucks. Its well designed, and the F12 key works as the eject key. It has Full Mac Os X software, and all the buttons do something. There is a small scroll wheel on the keyboard and I find that usefull as well.

maxvamp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 26, 2002
Somewhere out there
My wife kills MS keyboards

I don't know if it is the keyboard design, or my wife, but I have purchased three of the Microsoft natural keyboards for her pc ( before I switched her to a Titanium 550 ), and they all died in about 6 months of each other.

I like the idea of wireless though. I just wish I could get one with the feel of the old IBM click keyboard. Gotta have the click!!<grin>

Thanx again,

Max

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
using laptops all the time i have gotten used to the feel of there keyboards and i like them a lot more than external keyboards. i think that the 12 inch powerbook keyboard is probably may favorite keyboard in the entire world, its so smooth. i never really liked the feel of the apple external keyboards.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Since my Apple Pro keyboard broke, I am using my MS Natural Pro keyboard (a relic from my past MS days).

I actually like it better. I find my wrists don't hurt as much because it is countoured, and the extra buttons along the top of the keyboard interface beautifully with OSX (internet buttons, music buttons that control itunes, and email buttons).

But I do miss the click-clack of the Apple keyboard. The MS one sounds like a piece of junk when I type. But I ain't spending $65 on a new Apple one.

daniel77

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2002
seattle, wa
Re: My wife kills MS keyboards

Originally posted by maxvamp
I don't know if it is the keyboard design, or my wife, but I have purchased three of the Microsoft natural keyboards for her pc ( before I switched her to a Titanium 550 ), and they all died in about 6 months of each other.

I like the idea of wireless though. I just wish I could get one with the feel of the old IBM click keyboard. Gotta have the click!!<grin>

Thanx again,

Max

then u got some lemons buddy, I have a MSFT natural keyboard and i have had it since i got my comp a while ago

wsteineker

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2001
Montgomery, AL
Originally posted by NavyIntel007
Logitech Wireless black keyboard and mouse. All kinds of programmable buttons with iTunes control. It's super cool.

You're talking about the Logitech Cordless Elite Desktop. I have one and it's incredible. The keyboard feel is great, the mouse is quite sensitive, and the reception is fantastic. Battery life and control panel software have also been exceptional. I think it's the best cordless combo on the market, and I'd recommend it to anyone.

pduck

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2002
>using laptops all the time i have gotten used to the feel of there keyboards and i like them a lot more than external keyboards. i think that the 12 inch powerbook keyboard is probably may favorite keyboard in the entire world, its so smooth. i never really liked the feel of the apple external keyboards.<

If you like the feel of a laptop keyboard, try the Icekey from Macally. You'll love it.

Steradian

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2002
San Jose
well currently this is my fav, it replaced the Pro Keyboard that came w/ my Dual Ghz G4, that was destroyed by my brother w/ his soda.
Here not only is the keyboard cheep, it looks cool and feels good to boot :)

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
Originally posted by howard
using laptops all the time i have gotten used to the feel of there keyboards and i like them a lot more than external keyboards.

I know what you mean howard. After using my iBook's keyboard, I find that I really enjoy the feel of laptop keyboards. When I go home and use my brother's 17" iMac with Apple Pro Keyboard, I find I can't type as well. When I first got my iBook, I thought i'd never adjust to the keyboard. Now, I don't think I could ever use a regular keyboard again.

neonart

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
Originally posted by howard
using laptops all the time i have gotten used to the feel of there keyboards and i like them a lot more than external keyboards. i think that the 12 inch powerbook keyboard is probably may favorite keyboard in the entire world, its so smooth. i never really liked the feel of the apple external keyboards.

I agree with Howard. I love the feel of scissor keys. The Macally IceKey has these and the Apple look to it. I got one for my wife for her Gateway at work since she hated the feel of that keyboard.
The Icekey feels like a crisp iBook keyboard! It's cheap too.

http://macally.com/spec/usb/input_device/icekey.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.