What is your favorite or best Thunderbolt external drive under $400.00?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by BXPhotography, May 3, 2014.

1. BXPhotography macrumors newbie

Hey guys Ive been in the market for a Thunderbolt External Hard Drive. Looking for at least 2-4gb in storage. I keep seeing conflicting reviews all over the internet. So I figure Id come to you guys to ask about your personal experiences. Im looking at the Lacie drives and WD My Thunderbolt Duo (which is 100.00 over my limit, but its 4gb).

So guys which drives do you guys use?

thanks

2. bniu macrumors 6502a

I have two MyBook Thunderbolts and they work fine for mass storage of HD video files. They each went for about $600 for the 6TB editions. I've had them for well over a year now and am pretty satisfied with them. When the drives wear out, I will just go buy some new WD Green drives and keep on using the MyBook Thunderbolt enclosures for many many years.

You may also want to take a look at the MyPassport Pro. 4TB is $429, so just a hair above your budget.

On the Seagate side, I also have two BackupPlus Thunderbolt Adapter. I bought each for $190 a couple years ago, and then I bought 3TB BackupPlus hard drives from Costco and ripped off the USB 3.0 adapter and plugged them into the thunderbolt adapter. Works fine. Another bonus of these thunderbolt adapters is they are also good for bare drives, so whenever I need to quickly get data off of a bare drive, I just stick it onto the Thunderbolt Adapter and data gets transferred FAST!

Doing SSD to SSD thunderbolt transfers, I managed about 700GB in 20 minutes. Not bad I'd say.

3. nsitaram macrumors newbie

I bought a Lacie 500Gb SSD drive for $499 from Amazon. I feel the price of $1/Gb SSD is a good buy

4. campyguy macrumors 68040

I like my LaCie Rugged 256GB SSD - a lot, and I've considered the 500GB version since it came out, but that size is a mere fraction of what you're looking for.

I've decided to hold of on TB purchases since we bought some TB2-capable Macs and I'm seeing more TB2 products hitting the street lately. I did need some additional storage and bought a couple of Buffalo Drivestation DDR 3TB units (USB3) and they'll serve us well for the next several months. The 1GB DRAM chip makes file transfers up to 3GB really fly - $200 for 3TB works for me, and it's easily in your budget, lots of good ratings, too!

After listening to my (former) IT guy, I made the mistake of buying a couple of TB drives with single disks - I won't make that mistake again. It's either a RAID 0-capable or SSD setup for TB for us in the future.

5. bassanoclapper macrumors 6502

bassanoclapper

I bought a 4TB LaCie d2 and have no complaints. Very quiet and very quick