What is your favorite type of music? [some NSFW]

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dubsty, May 15, 2011.

1. dubsty, May 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2012

dubsty macrumors newbie

dubsty

You can guess mine by my user name :rolleyes:

Name your favorite genre(s) and add a link to one of your favorites if you'd like!

I'll start us off:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-ZV_6b4q9g

Your turn

EDIT: MOD NOTE: Since this will include music videos some of the content in those videos may not be appropriate for all audiences.

2. Johnnnny macrumors member

That track sounds sick! I've never heard of them but I like what I'm hearing =]

My favorite genre is alt rock followed by electronic music as a close second. I'd say Radiohead is my favorite band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrpGhEVyrk0

3. Syotos macrumors newbie

4. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I know it's unusual, but since I was 8yrs old I've loved 1920s and 30s jazz and popular music.

5. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

I'm a fan of electronic music in general, from the classics (Jean-Michel Jarre, Synergy and of course Kraftwerk) to the present day. My "favorite" genre within the electronic realm has shifted over the ages.

In the early 80s, I was into new wave/early synthpop (Devo, Human League, Men Without Hats). In the mid to late 80s it was Stock Aitken Waterman-type pop productions and what I call Golden Age Of Synthpop (Depeche Mode, Erasure, Pet Shop Boys, Information Society), with an occasional detour into goth/industrial.

The early 90s brought in techno (I preferred Detroit/Plus 8 and the occasional Belgian track) and Eurodance (Twenty 4 Seven, 2 Unlimited, Corona, Cappella). Around 1996 I heard BT's Ima album in a record store, and became a trance fan.

Around the turn of the millenium, thanks to the Internet, I discovered the Modern Synthpop scene (Echoing Green, Cosmicity, Provision). Most of the 21st-century music in my collection is Modern Synthpop.

With all that said, I'd still have to say "electronic." As much as I like Synthpop, I couldn't limit myself by calling it my favorite.

6. dubsty thread starter macrumors newbie

dubsty

That's really awesome, a lot of great bands/acts here. You never got the chance to get into Dubstep?

7. Annerz macrumors regular

8. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Metal...... and all the little subs that come along with it!!!

9. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Classical. For me it's Classical Classical > Romantic Classical > Modernism Classical > Classic Rock > Golden Oldies > Jazz (especially Miles Davis:cool:) > Baroque Classical.

Pretty much everything after the 80's gives me a headache.:(

10. clientsiman macrumors 6502

clientsiman

11. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

I admit that I'm not much of a fan of breakbeat and its offshoot genres, including jungle and dubstep. Can't say that I necessarily hate those types, though-- I just prefer more of a four-to-the-floor type of rhythm. I do like the occasional Prodigy track or BT's "Orbitus Terranium" or "Hip Hop Phenomenon", because they're programmed well. Jungle, though... well, it sounds like "1,001 Ways To Splice 'n' Dice The 'Amen' Break" to me.

12. dubsty thread starter macrumors newbie

dubsty

I get that. Fair enough :) So would you say you're also into house/electro house? Just throwing some ideas here because you said you prefer four to the floor :rolleyes:

13. stroked Suspended

stroked

I guess your even older than I am. I can't stand anything after the mid 90's.

my favorite music is classic country. Haggard, Cash, Jones, Twitty, and I love Emmylou Harris's voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=junffZYkn4A

14. Pink∆Floyd, May 16, 2011
    Last edited: May 16, 2011
  15. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

The occasional house track or DJ set is OK, as is electro (I'll give a listen to the occasional David Guetta track). Again, not necessarily my top picks, and it's usually "classic" 80s Chicago-style or early 90s Euro-style house, or a house remix of a pop track. One notable exception to this: For reasons I can't explain, I did like the Klubbheads in their heyday.

16. samiwas macrumors 65816

I'm the oddball here, as I am in most comparisons with friends in the music discussion.

I am not a fan at all of Dance, Techno, Trance, whatever all those things are called...anything that goes "unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce" forever. And this dubstep mentioned in the first post? Never even heard of it before listening to the track in the OP. Just not my thing at all. Oddly enough, however...I am a lighting guy by profession (theatre, concerts, exhibits, etc) and one of my desires is to work in a dance club doing lighting...a lot of good beats for that type of thing. But I would never listen to it outside of that.

What I listen to mostly is what my wife refers to as "jam-band hippie crap" (moe., String Cheese Incident, Widespread Panic, older Phish and Dead, etc). I totally get lost in some of the jams. "They take a 5 minute song and play it for 40 minutes" is a favorite quote. I just love a lot of the guitar work, usually great percussion elements, etc. Most of my friends can't stand it, so I know it's not a popular choice. About the closest I get to electronic music is a band called Sound Tribe Sector 9...a mix of live electronic and traditional jam-band styles.

Past that, I tend to listen to 90's alternative (Pearl Jam, STP, Smashing Pumpkins, Alice in Chains, Live, etc) and slightly harder stuff (Rage). Not really into Heavy Metal or any type of music that ends in -core.

17. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

I pretty well like most of the genres mentioned as you would see if you saw my itunes library. :D

18. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

Big fan of hiphop here. My favorite group is People Under the Stairs out of LA - they make some of best sample based beats IMO. I love G-Funk, LA fastrap, and old school east coast rap. Some of the newer stuff on the radio I don't feel as much (a lot of it sounds more like quantized synths instead of samples) but I enjoy the lyricism (Nicki Minaj is one of the better female rappers I've heard in a while).

I appreciate all genres though. I grew up with Depeche Mode as my favorite band and have a lot of late 80's/early 90's synthpop bands on tape - New Order, Erasure, Cause and Effect, etc. Also loved The Cure and Morrissey.

Big fan of 90's alternative too - the Singles soundtrack was one of my favorite albums to listen to when I was a kid.

I go through streaks where I don't listen to anything except one genre for X number of months. I had one year where I didn't listen to anything except Motown and Classic R&B. Also had a couple months where I set my clock radio to wake me up to a country station. Country music has some of the cheesiest funny lyrics I've ever heard.

19. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

90's Alternative Rock
    Classic Rock
    Reggae
    Blues

Then a little bit of most anything else. But 90% of the time, I've got Lithium dialed up in the car.

20. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

21. samiwas macrumors 65816

Yes! I just rediscovered that soundtrack about a month ago after not having listened to it in years. That was a great soundtrack.

22. MetalheadGCN macrumors newbie

Metal. Lots and lots of metal. Death metal, folk metal, thrash metal, symphonic metal, post-metal, etc.

Warbringer - Prey for Death (thrash metal): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTg0PuXCv-U&feature=related

Turisas - To Holmgard and Beyond (folk metal): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFBIr3Vx16w

Those are two of my favorite bands right now. :D

Otherwise, I like anything where guitar is the dominant instrument. 90s alternative rock / grunge, punk, etc.

I also like some hip-hop, like Jedi Mind Tricks, Jurassic 5, Immortal Technique, Aesop Rock, Dead Prez, basically underground artists.

23. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Normally, I'd argue that Ween is not a genre, but to be honest, Ween appears different enough that it may not fall neatly into any known genre. Y'know, like Primus.