Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhone 5S hardware

• 128GB Storage

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • 2GB RAM

Votes: 17 16.0%
  • Quad core CPU/Faster GPU

• Fingerprint sensor

Votes: 18 17.0%
  • New Design

Votes: 10 9.4%
  • Higher resolution screen

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • Temperature Sensor

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • NFC

• Camera with Optical Image Stabilization

Votes: 14 13.2%
  • Dual camera LEDs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Waterproof

Votes: 12 11.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 3.8%

• Total voters

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Personally, as somebody who has iPhone 3GS, I cannot tell you enough how much I want it to have more RAM. The more the better. 3GS can handle apps just fine, but launch more than 3 and it starts to lag very badly because it's hindered severely by it's 256MB RAM.

I hope 5S has 2GB RAM.

iAndyPham

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2013
You obviously haven't gotten your hands on a 5. It is super smooth with just 1GB RAM. Heck, even 4S is fine with 512MB RAM.

Where's the option of 'Bigger screen'? Under 'New design' or 'Other'?

Last edited:

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
I am hoping for a price reduction for storage upgrades. I would definitely like the 64 GB model for $300 with a two year contract. I'd also like it if the 32 GB model was the base size.
If they continue using the same base storage sizes they used in three years ago for the base model then I may not buy any iPhones this year. I think it is time for an upgrade.

noobzaja

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2013
Waterproof is important. Many android flagship phones have this option if Iphone 5s has this option too it'll be perfect ! :cool:

lcmazza

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2012
2GB RAM is going to be a necessity given the new multitasking features.

Also, I think the new processor may not be quad-core, but It's going to save more power.

And maybe 128GB will be an option, but I don't think that 32GB will become the baseline, as Apple also reversed the iPod Touch from 32GB to 16GB and that's usually a "test product" for the iPhone.

In 2014 Apple may update the design and screen size, then we may see a 32GB baseline for iPhones with bigger screens, when the iPhone 5S will only be available in 16GB and 32GB and maybe the cheaper iPhone with 8GB.

Just a guess! :)

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
More ram would be nice. The 4S is showing its age. I have apps reloading on mine when I click back to them. It can be pretty annoying with tapatalk if it reloads.

Fingerprint scanner is dumb. Android did that over 2 years ago and it was a gimmick. Why would apple do it now?

lcmazza

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2012
More ram would be nice. The 4S is showing its age. I have apps reloading on mine when I click back to them. It can be pretty annoying with tapatalk if it reloads.

Fingerprint scanner is dumb. Android did that over 2 years ago and it was a gimmick. Why would apple do it now?

Because it's going to work?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Because it's going to work?

Meh, fingerprints aren't secure and scanners are easily bypassed. Just because government agencies use them to identify people doesn't mean it a secure process for unlocking something. Why do you think security firms and businesses moved away from them? There used to be one where I work but it was disabled so you were forced to use the more secure pin code.

The Motorola atrix fingerprint scanner worked just fine. Still a gimmick.

Plus you can always fall back to a pin code if your fingerprint didn't work. So its just an alternative method for a thief to bypass. If it doesn't work then they can just use the pincode.

I can't see Apple adding something so silly.

lcmazza

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2012
Meh, fingerprints aren't secure and scanners are easily bypassed. Just because government agencies use them to identify people doesn't mean it a secure process for unlocking something. Why do you think security firms and businesses moved away from them? There used to be one where I work but it was disabled so you were forced to use the more secure pin code.

Plus you can always fall back to a pin code if your fingerprint didn't work. So its just an alternative method for a thief to bypass. If it doesn't work then they can just use the pincode.

I agree it's just a gimmick. But there are plenty of gimmicks in IOS7 and smartphones are becoming pretty steady feature-wise. There's not much companies can add right now that is going to make a big difference in our lives, so it makes sense from a marketing point of view.

Rufuss Sewell

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Austin, TX
There's not much companies can add right now that is going to make a big difference in our lives.

This is so wrong. That's why you are just a consumer and the world needs visionaries like Steve Jobs to make dreams reality.

How about these features for the next iPhone:

Transporter
Cancer/disease scanner
Holodeck projector
Food printer
3D object printer
Forcefield (bullet deflector)
Invisibility cloak

It may take a while to get to these but there are countless innovations to be made between what we have now and the kinds of things we'll have in 20 years.

lcmazza

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2012
This is so wrong. That's why you are just a consumer and the world needs visionaries like Steve Jobs to make dreams reality.

How about these features for the next iPhone:

Transporter
Cancer/disease scanner
Holodeck projector
Food printer
3D object printer
Forcefield (bullet deflector)
Invisibility cloak

It may take a while to get to these but there are countless innovations to be made between what we have now and the kinds of things we'll have in 20 years.

Sure, I'm just a consumer with plenty of good mental health.

In your case, though... That's arguably a positive prognostic.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Personally, as somebody who has iPhone 3GS, I cannot tell you enough how much I want it to have more RAM. The more the better. 3GS can handle apps just fine, but launch more than 3 and it starts to lag very badly because it's hindered severely by it's 256MB RAM.

Geez, why are people comparing old models to the next unreleased model? That makes no sense.

bmw3wags

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010
I myself am hoping for a Quad-Core Processor but I'm hoping that Apple implements it with a big.LITTLE configuration. We all know that Apple's A6 Swift Cores are a customized chip that are similar to ARM's CortexA15. These more powerful cores mixed with lower powerful but similar Cortex-A7 cores (still more powerful then the Cortex-A9's used in the Apples A5 chip by around 20% and more power efficient by 60%). This will allow for better battery life by offloading less demanding processes to the A7 and more demanding ones will be saved for the A15. This will help Apple to really increase the battery life of the next iPhone while maintain strong performance.

For more information on this ARM details this kinda configuration nicely.
http://www.arm.com/products/processors/technologies/biglittleprocessing.php

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

How can a fingerprint, which is supposed to be unique to each person (i.e. >~7billion combinations) be less secure than a 4 digit passcode?

As I said earlier in the thread, somebody can watch you enter a fingerprint as many times as they like, but they can't then enter it without your finger. If somebody watches you enter a passcode/password, they can just enter the passcode/password themselves.

The backup passcode/password will, if the fingerprint scanner is implemented properly, rarely have to be entered, so it's unlikely anybody will see you use it.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Geez, why are people comparing old models to the next unreleased model? That makes no sense.

We are not comparing. We are just mentioning current shortcomings of phones and hope the future model will fix it, by increasing the RAM.

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
Wireless charging. I have wanted it back ever since I sold my Pre years ago.

Fingerprint scanner I could take or leave. I am sure it will be very smooth and seamlessly integrated with keychain but it isn't a very exciting feature for me.

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Wireless charging. I have wanted it back ever since I sold my Pre years ago.

Fingerprint scanner I could take or leave. I am sure it will be very smooth and seamlessly integrated with keychain but it isn't a very exciting feature for me.

This. I would take wireless charging over a bigger screen and a fingerprint scanner any day.

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
How can a fingerprint, which is supposed to be unique to each person (i.e. >~7billion combinations) be less secure than a 4 digit passcode?

As I said earlier in the thread, somebody can watch you enter a fingerprint as many times as they like, but they can't then enter it without your finger. If somebody watches you enter a passcode/password, they can just enter the passcode/password themselves.
It isn't. These posters have seen too many spy movies or are confusing legacy fingerprint sensors with modern sensors. Modern fingerprint sensors detect and use additional biometric information, such as temperature, skin density, and vein patterns, to produce passwords that are the equivalent of alphanumeric passwords that are dozens of characters long.

A fingerprint sensor is key to (a) corporate and government customers and (b) mobile payments. Corporations and government agencies currently require 8-12 digit alphanumeric passwords to unlock a phone; a fingerprint reader would eliminate these passwords, if properly implemented. Mobile payments haven't taken off because of concerns over security; a fingerprint reader, or a pin combined with a fingerprint reader, would largely address those concerns.

Last edited:

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Lytro like camera.
Battery that lasts way longer/solar battery charging screen.
Capability to drive 4K iTV/Display...
128GB
256GB
Stereo Speakers

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

The backup passcode/password will, if the fingerprint scanner is implemented properly, rarely have to be entered, so it's unlikely anybody will see you use it.

Because their easily defeated. Ever own a laptop with a scanner?

Mythbusters beat one with a photocopy of a fingerprint.

http://youtu.be/7sphAJFj9qA

As unique as a finger print is its not that secure. Great for identifying someone but not too great for security.

And it will still need a back up password so it can't be more secure. I'm surprised anyone thinks that old tech is remotely interesting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.