What is your "normal" CPU temp running just low load stuff like safari, a few office apps and Skype

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nph, Jun 26, 2017.

1. nph macrumors 6502a

I am running more or less between 37-41C with minimum fan speed 2160 more or less.
    My MBP is the base 2017 15".

2. joefoong79 macrumors regular

fan always kick in after stay 3 minutes or more at 45C or higher of that parameter. normal 45C below fan will not kick in.

Attached Files:

3. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Positively cool for a MBP, this 13" rMBP is sitting at 60C, my 15"s generally more, clearly the newer models are a lot better in this respect :)

Q-6

4. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

I can't say for sure, because I don't use Safari or Skype... but here's my info from iStat:

Screen-Shot-2017-06-26-at-7.31.45-PM.jpg

5. OldMacUser macrumors member

OldMacUser

TB MBP 13-in. Current apps running - Pathfinder, Safari, Chrome, Mail, Skype, Messages, Word, Preview.
    Ambient air temperature is around 20C.

CPU Proximity: 40C
    Intel GPU: 44C

Screen Shot 2017-06-27 at 1.10.26 pm.jpg

6. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

@nph I thought I'd seen a few threads you started regarding heat or noise, so I had a nose of your thread history. It seems that this concern is a very long standing one for yourself, did something happen to cause this worry?

I'm fairly certain nothing myself, or anyone else can say will alleviate this. But know that heat and energy are the same thing, it is physically impossible to consume energy without generating heat. And when heat is generated we need to remove it which is why there are fans, which generate noise again as they are a physically spinning device, which generates audible energy.

CPU's work using transistors, which require a constant source of energy to function. So even at low load they are generating 'heat'. However this is a small amount and can largely by overcome using solid state heat transfer mechanisms such as a heatsink, as opposed to removing heat through airflow transition, or using fans. Because of this, the computer will get warm before utilising any fans as this is a better and more economical use of available energy for the system.

Basically, and I'm looking at old threads to answer this. It is impossible to have a "Cool and quiet" computer when using transistor based CPU's. It will be cool and loud, or hot and quiet. Manufacturers will balance this so that the computer will get reasonably warm yet still remain quiet, as noise pollution is a more irritating factor than heat dissipation.

If you do very minimal tasks with a computer it won't consume as much energy and so will not get as warm, and the fans will not be necessary. But physically again, you'll always see some heat being generated.

I hope that provides at least a basic explanation, but I am curious why you are so greatly concerned by heat. Remember any computer will always shut down long before any damage is caused, and it needs to get very hot before this happens (Around 100'c it'll start to panic).

7. leman macrumors 604

My 15" 2016 model is at 40 C right now. Which makes perfect sense considering the ambient temperature of 28 :D

8. joefoong79 macrumors regular

As OP mention he was asking 36c-41c at 2100rpm is that normal. So seem all reply here seem not normal, but fan running at that speed will basically nothing to worry because will absolutely not frying the CPU which running all time. Only tear and wear of fan faster.

9. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

At idle the computer will be around 40'c and at idle the fans will spin at around 2000rpm. That's what's been shown and that's what's normal.

Looking at the screenshots people have provided they are using iStat Pro, and are showing fan speed as "0 RPM". Which would indicate that it is not reading the fan speed. I believe you need to instal a plugin such as http://www.hwsensors.com/releases in order to read this data.

10. ilian92 macrumors regular

Fans at 2000rpm are borderline silent. I can barely hear mine at all. 40C-45C are my regular idle temps as well, which is perfectly normal. Under heavier load it's floating between 80C - 95C and fans on max speed. The 95C are a little too high for my liking but it is what it is, I haven't found a functional way to shave some of that off.

11. joefoong79 macrumors regular

MacBook Pro 2017 and 2016 fan will not kick in around 45c or higher. Even it run will be around 1200rpm until it kick up to 60c at 2000rpm. Check one in Apple Store. You talking is the 2015 rMP will be act like that but not newer version.

12. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

Where have you gotten that information? Everything I'm finding tells me they run at 2000rpm (Min) by default, my MBP is set to 2000rpm and I haven't touched anything.

Screen Shot 2017-06-27 at 17.14.11.jpg

I believe the minimum you can manually set it to is 1200rpm, but they definitely aren't switched off until 45'c or anything.

P.s. I can't believe I had to download an App called 'Fanny' for this o_O

Screen Shot 2017-06-27 at 17.10.02.jpg

13. joefoong79 macrumors regular

Not setting anything. The app call istats. At default is off. It mean you not manually adjust anything at all. Used Mac system configuration the fan as default not istats. I don't know why your mac start at 2000rpm even when start. But all MacBook Pro 2016 I touch before the fan will only start atleast 45c or higher at 1200rpm then until you reach high at around 55c-60c will be 2000rpm.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 27, 2017 ---
    If the temperature get back below 40c of certain amount of time of cool down then the fan will shut off again until it reach back that high temperature again will kick off.

14. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

So after some testing, all after a restart with nothing open. And I'd still appreciate if you have some kind of report on the default RPM that shows otherwise.

Sitting below 40'c for 10 minutes:

on power.jpg

So I thought maybe it's the battery, so sitting on battery below 40'c for 10 minutes:

on battery.jpg

And finally checking within istats:

Screen Shot 2017-06-27 at 18.10.00.jpg

Absolutely everything I can find points to 2000/2160RPM as default. The only comments I am finding are discussions that suggest there are bugs or errors with software such as iStat however.

15. joefoong79 macrumors regular

16. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

Mine? It's a 2016 15".

17. joefoong79 macrumors regular

Stop worrying too much about the fan. Just enjoy your MacBook. If it stop working it will eventually stop, nothing much you can do. Fan stop running worry and now fan keep running also worry. :eek:

18. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

? I'm not worrying at all. I told the OP that the fan/temp was normal and you said it wasn't. I was trying to get you to supply some kind of evidence as to why it wasn't normal.

As I said, everything points to 2160RPM at 45'c to be absolutely normal. They should be spinning at 2000RPM.

19. joefoong79 macrumors regular

time 7.19pm using 20 tabs safari, online streaming movie and playing diablo 3 on 2 monitor all at once the temperature at 66c fan kick off 1992/1849 rpm. after 3 minutes close game diablo 3 and just streaming movie and safari. At 7.32pm. overall 13 minutes temperature back down to 41c and fan will back to 0 rpm

Attached Files:

20. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

Which version of iStat are you using? There's a known bug where it displays 0RPM when idle, and only displays actual RPM when the fans speed up. Try reinstalling/updating or running istats directly from terminal. If your fans really were running at 0RPM the CPU would very quickly gain heat, and then the fans would be spinning up constantly.

21. joefoong79 macrumors regular