What is your opinion on the DREAM Act?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mrat93, Nov 2, 2010.

?

Dream Act?

1. Yay

11 vote(s)
    78.6%
  2. Nay

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Undecided

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  1. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

(Link)

Looking around the Internet, I see the majority of people are opposed to this, saying that the people who are eligible are "criminals." Many people appear to be missing the point of this Act.

A main requirement is "Must have entered the United States before the age of 16 (i.e. 15 and younger)."

I really don't know what else to say. I have a friend who came here when she was five. Now, she is 17 and doesn't have NEARLY enough money for college, and applying for scholarships is extremely difficult and risky. She can't get a job because she doesn't have a Social Security Number or working permit. It seems likely that she's not going to college all because of the actions of her parents. I can't see how ANYBODY could call her or anybody else in her situation a "criminal."

I'm just curious to see what other MR members have to say about this.

2. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

This needed to be passed years ago. It is long overdue, but with the incoming House likely being controlled by the Republicans, it will be years before the DREAM act gets another chance.

3. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

I had previously not heard of this. I would support it, but highly doubt it would ever make it past a committee, let alone an arm of congress.

4. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

In my opinion, there are two criteria to being an American:

1. Live in America.
    2. Pay taxes

Other than that, I don't see why someone would be against a much easier path to citizenship for immigrants. I don't even care if they came here illegally. Again, as long as they pay taxes, they're American to me. I'm all for easier paths to citizenship.

5. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

It was part of the Defense Bill from last September that included "Don't Ask Don't Tell." I believe it lost by 6 votes. Senator Harry Reid said it will be voted on again in this coming lame duck session.This seems like the last chance to get it passed for a while.

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

That criterion leaves a big question mark hanging over a number of supposedly US citizens and corporations.

7. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

I'm for it, but only if they do something about the border first.

Step 1 - Keep people from coming across the border illegally in the first place - build a damn wall. It worked in China and Germany.

Step 2 - Amnesty legislation, which the Dream Act should be a part of.

Without that wall though, the Dream Act would just be another reason for illegals to run to the US.