What is your screen brand and did it have any issues? (15'' rMBP Owners)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Starfyre, Nov 3, 2013.

?

What is your screen brand and did you have issues with it?

1. LG - Have issues.

8 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. Samsung - Have Issues.

13 vote(s)
    14.0%
  3. LG - Flawless

31 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Samsung - Flawless

41 vote(s)
    44.1%
  1. Starfyre, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013

Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

As the topic states, what is your screen brand and did it have any issues? Perhaps this could give us a better sense of which screens are worse or better than others, and whether the screen issues are as big of a problem as they appear to be. Now it just may be that both brands may have issues, but this poll could give us a sense for whether one has more issues (or less) than the other.

Have Issues - Yellow tint, image retention issues, color not even/non-uniformity
    Flawless - You love the display, won't exchange or return your unit.
    ** If you have "No Issues", but it appears warmer than white... post in thread.

Two Ways to find out what screen brand you have?

System Preferences - If you do not have a dGPU or dont like terminal (tanks pat.micunnis! ^^)
    Open System Preferences > Display > Color > Open Profiles. Scroll to the bottom. Look at Model.

Sample value for Samsung (there seem to be several):
    Its a Samsung if it is: 0000A022
    Its an LG if it is: 0000A019
    Let us know if you know something else.

Terminal Method - If you have 750M(thanks Scott7975! ^^)
    1. Open the "Terminal" application
    2. Copy and Paste the one line of code below into the "Terminal" and hit enter:

ioreg -lw0 | grep "EDID" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

Its an LG if it starts with: LP
    Its a Samsung if it starts with: LSN

2. pieterjanvh macrumors newbie

I've got the samsung screen and samsung SSD.
    The screen is pretty warm, I like it, but the pictures I've seen from the LG screens look quite nice as well!

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

4. Jaben3421 macrumors regular

LG screen and can't see a single issue with it. Had it since Wednesday.

5. Scott7975, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013

Scott7975 macrumors 6502

How do you find out which one you have? Mine has been flawless, but I don't know how to check which one it is.

Edit: Ok so I googled and I used terminal command. Came back LP154WT1-SJE1. I take it to mean that I have the LG screen and it is flawless.

6. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

Voted LG Flawless but Title should state which generation of rMBP since the first gen will have a lot of problems reported.

7. raybies macrumors member

Haswell MBP: LG

No issues.

Calibration with Spyder 4 made it more yellow.

8. Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68000

Starfyre

What was that command? I can add it to the main post up top so others can know how to actually check their screens if they didn't know too. Google knows everything, but it'd be nice if it was just part of the thread.

9. Scott7975 macrumors 6502

ioreg -lw0 | grep "EDID" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

From what I have read.... if it starts with LP then it is an LG. Samsung starts with LSN.

10. Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68000

Starfyre

Added, thanks Scott7975!

11. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Samsung display on my 6 months old 2012 15" rMBP. :apple:

12. Outsiderdude26 macrumors regular

I got a BTO Haswell MBPr. it has a LG display, and it's a tad warmer than my old 2010 MPB.

This kind of reminds me when Apple released the iPhone 3G and the screen was calibrated a bit warmer than the original iPhone. People went nuts.

13. pendragon1984 macrumors 6502

I have a samsung screen with uneven colouring. Some parts of the screen are more yellower than others. It's slight but noticeable. This is my second replacement with this problem. May be returning/replacing it again next week.

Check your screens carefully. Is the colouring even?

14. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

Mine is pretty darn good but I have not checked which one. I hate terminal any other way to check.

15. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

This was my problem. I was okay with a warmer display then I'm used to, but mine had blotches of warmer and cooler regions. It was significantly worse than the units at the store (just compared today while returning it, in part because of the screen but I also had a dead right USB port).

I wasn't able to see just how distinct the discoloration was until I set it directly in front of my calibrated plasma TV and matched the brightness. It immediately became obvious that there were clouds of warmer/darker white all over the screen. Samsung panel.

16. Scott7975 macrumors 6502

All you have to do is open terminal and do a copy paste of the code I provided.

17. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

Thanks I'll check in morning and post

18. Seddis, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013

Seddis macrumors newbie

LG

Color uniformity is fairly good in the top half of the screen, but poor in the bottom half. It's especially yellow near the bottom right. Slightly less yellow near the bottom left. Pink or purple along the bottom middle and in several other spots. Fairly neutral in other parts of the screen.

Brightness also varies. It's darkest near the bottom right and brightest along the bottom middle. It's also fairly bright in the bottom corners.

I should add that, after owning seven different Apple screens (including MacBooks, Cinema Displays, and an iPad) over the last several years, every single one of them has been flawed in some way. All of them have had color uniformity issues. But, I tend to become accustomed to the imperfections after a few days of heavy use, and it usually doesn't bother me much. Consequently, I haven't decided whether I'll keep this one or return it.

Edit: I decided to return it after all. I went to the Apple store and discovered that all six demo models on display had better screens than mine. They all lacked color and brightness uniformity, but it wasn't as noticeable.

19. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

Okay I checked I have a LG

20. Philthy84 macrumors member

Samsung screen on my late 2013 base 2.3GHz rMBP. No flaws to my eyes but the screen is on the warmer side but I have not had the chance to mess with calibration tool.

21. Vanquish22 macrumors newbie

15inch rmbp early 2013 samsung screen ,have minor backlight bleed at the corner

22. Jack Sun macrumors member

Arggg, why doesn't this Terminal string work for me? I first had to install Xcode, but it still only returns one line that says 'LCD Console'. Any suggestions?

Also, can I remove Xcode when done?

23. pat.micunnis macrumors regular

The terminal only works for 750M machines.

24. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Should have a "don't know, don't care - flawless" option. :)

25. Jack Sun macrumors member

Ahhh, thanks. And by your not answering the obvious next question, I'll assume Iris Pro doesn't have a way to check the monitor brand...