What issue do you agree with on the other side of the political spectrum?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Herdfan, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Herdfan macrumors 6502

For example, if you are a conservative, what traditionally liberal issue do you agree with? And Vice Versa?

I'll start. I grew up in a very conservative, but not overly religious family. So most of my political beliefs came from them and the way I was brought up.

But as I get older, I am becoming more Libertarian in that personal possession of drugs should not be a crime and I am not against abortion.

So that's two. Next.

Also, this is about our individual beliefs. What Hillary or Trump think is completely irrelevant for the spirit of this thread.

2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Well I'd love to say I believe in conservative ideals of family values and fiscal responsibility but they really don't believe in those themselves.

3. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I'm against the death penalty. I also think the welfare system is a valuable safety-net for our citizens.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Being fiscally conservative. It's sort of a no-brainer that expenses shouldn't grossly exceed revenue.

That's why I support higher taxes. We've got to increase the revenue.

Balance those books.

5. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

I support family values. That's why I can't wait to get married and adopt/have kids and I'm a strong believer in marriage being an integral part of society and crucial to a stable family. Unfortunately their version of family values, if implemented into law, would prevent me from doing so.

Liberals and conservatives values are often identical in name, but completely different in practice. Just like your version of fiscal conservatism is the complete opposite of their's.

6. Limey77 macrumors regular

Great idea for a thread OP! (Genuinely, not sarcastic)

I think personally that a lot of ideas get misconstrued or misunderstood.

But as Citizenzen said I believe in fiscal responsibility. Outgoings ideally should not exceed incomings (at least not by much). I also agree with family values - but sadly that term has become SO corrupted that it now means so many things I strongly disagree with.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Governing a large and complex society isn't cheap.

SLC Flyfishing is a proponent of social safety nets, and so am I. Social safety nets don't make money for the government. It costs a lot to act humanely, and care about people who can't do squat for your bottom line. But that's the humanitarian way to act. We can't just leave people to suffer and die.

So ... yeah ... we'll be needing some more of your taxes.

8. Limey77 macrumors regular

But unfortunately so many people (even on here) are so, so against acting like adults and supporting people. The whole "I've got mine so **** you!" Is so prevalent and accepted that it's embarrassing.

Taxes are at their lowest ever, corporations are given free passes, don't pay their taxes and we're meant to feel sorry for them (I include Apple). There's lots that could be done but the will isn't there, despite the benefits.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

There's a strong libertarian tradition that unfortunately no longer fits the time.

Society is too interwoven. The needs of the people are too great.

It's not the 1880's anymore. You can't just homestead a farm and eke out a living based on gumption and hard work.

10. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I sorta wish they'd start recouping some of the welfare expenditures by cutting back spending on Wars and frivolous defense projects. They can raise taxes on people after "trimming the fat" in the government first.

11. Limey77 macrumors regular

Yes, we're all in this together and I have no problem with that. We all need to work together for our mutual success.

We need to acknowledge that the very, very rich today simply aren't pulling their weight. Meanwhile the lowest paid in society are overwhelmed. I know we hear the old "if we tax them they'll leave" but they won't. Where are they going to go?

There needs to be a massive restructuring of taxation, earnings protection, generational passing of wealth and most importantly tax avoidance. Somehow we've become not only beholden to the very rich, but we also seem to worship them for screwing us over. It's ludicrous!

12. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I agree with the opposite side of the political spectrum on this point:

I think immigration of unskilled labor should be very limited. I have no objection if highly educated people move to whatever country they want to, but, I think every country owes it to its poor, unskilled, below-average-however people to try to build an internal labor market that will allow the poor to support themselves.

13. Limey77 macrumors regular

Interesting, because I think (and believe) that is a very dangerous proposition.

Georgia has already proven categorically that if you prevent unskilled workers (fruit pickers) coming in, then fruit crops end up rotting because no one else is willing to do the job. Now imagine that extrapolated across the US! Do you really want to be paying $1 per orange or apple? How about $10 per melon?

14. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

The death penalty, personal responsibility, equality of opportunity(Not affirmative action) would be the biggest right wing values that I believe in.

Unfortunately I have come to realize that the left wing is just as crazy as the right wing so I just call myself a classical liberal. I can't stand the smugness of modern day leftists, everything they say drives me nuts, like "teach men not to rape" just imagine if a big Hollywood star said "teach black people not to murder" like Sarah Silverman comments on men. Or how about if men joked about a female who had their genital mutilated like what sharon osbourne did in the below video

15. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

But in the spirit of the thread -- individual beliefs-- you could still say you believe in what conservatives have expressed as their ideals of family values and fiscal responsibility, yes?

I've said elsewhere I was raised by conservatives who spent a lot of time discussing in detail assorted liberal principles with which they disagreed, but who neglected to pass on their own principles since they knew and shared them, so only sketchily managed to communicate to me what they were.

Hence they instilled libreral ideas in my brain from age five or so, I think. We were not allowed to leave the table until after dessert had been served and enjoyed, and the talk of politlics began even as the ice cream melted...

From my grandparents I took certain conservative ideas like thinking it's better to save up and pay cash for a car than borrow money for it. Of course now you could pay for a new car what I paid for my handyman special house 30 years ago, which of course still seems like way too much money for a ride. And there are leasing options. But I always ended up paying cash for a clunker rather than borrowing money for a new vehicle. In the end I've been happy doing that because it has let me buy lots of Apple gear for myself and assorted kinfolk (which I do sometimes float onto a card for awhile).

I've corrupted my one conservative idea for the sake of Apple's bottom line!

16. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

I like the best-of-both approach

I believe in capitalism, the value and virtues of competition.

I also believe in government, handling the various things for which competition does not apply.

17. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

18. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Genuinely interesting and thought provoking thread. Well done, OP, @Herdfan, for starting it.

19. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

To answer this question, I'd have to first figure out who "the other side" is.

I'm pro-choice and pro-second amendment. I believe in the freedom to practice religion but can acknowledge that some religions hinder society more than others. I want immigration simplified so if people want to move here, they can do so without stupid bureaucracy. Anyone should be able to immigrate easily, this country was founded as an immigrant's haven. On the flipside, I am able to see problems that have stemmed from undocumented immigration. I am very in favor of national healthcare, and also support the legalization of all drugs and prostitution, in addition to marriage even for polygamists. I don't think religion should be taught or respected within public schools, but also feel like if a private company wants to make decisions based on their religion, they can and let the free market settle it. I am definitely not in favor of the increasingly high amount of censorship, speech and thought policing across college campuses (and society), nor am I in support of any EEO or Affirmative Action program that prioritizes someone's race, gender, or etc for either admission or hiring policies. I believe in a free and neutral internet. I feel like cops are by default douchebags to situations, but also don't support the BLM movement. While I would enjoy the simplicity of a flat tax, I definitely see the benefits to itemized and charitable deductions from the current tax code. I don't think violence is EVER the answer, and want the US out of any warzone. To that extent, I'd even support removing our military bases around the world. Torture is never permissible, how have we arrived to a point in history where this is even in question? I am in full support of alternative energy, but I don't demonize current energy methods. I want first past the post elections to be replaced with two-round systems, and I'd love to see term limits for Congress.

So yeah... whatever that political belief system is.

20. mellofello macrumors 65816

I'm pro (responsible) gun ownership. I also support some hawkish military views, and tougher immigration laws.

However due to the abortion issue, and all the regressive religious agendas pushed by the right I need to cast every vote I have against them.

Sad really. If we had a few more parties, we could all have a much more nuanced discussion.

21. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Interestingly I am against abortion so that's my opposite party issue that I agree with. Although I don't agree with their method of closing down abortion clinics and making women drive to other states or Mexico as a solution. I don't think that works or is helpful.

22. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I'm pro 2A and believe in foreign intervention in troubled states

23. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

I don't like the idea of it either to be completely honest, but I support a woman's choice to do it. As a method of SIGNIFICANTLY reducing abortions, we need to make comprehensive sex education that explains in full detail all forms of birth control to be implemented in schools in all 50 states and drop the failed "abstinence only" BS. Unfortunately, they're against THAT too. One pattern I notice amongst many conservatives is that they oppose something on an ideological/emotional level even if it can lead to their desired results.
    IMG_0157.JPG
    --- Post Merged, Aug 23, 2016 ---
    Not sure how old you are, but this sums up many millennials that I know. They support some right wing stances on things, but due to their ever growing irreligiousness and staunch support of LGBT rights, they can't find it in themselves to cast a vote for Republicans who have made social issues the centerpiece of their party platform.

Here is a very interesting article that I read yesterday that makes the claim that the decline of religion is the GOP's REAL demographic crisis, one that the media is largely ignoring.

24. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

There's another thing I agree with. Abstinence only education doesn't work. And comprehensive sex Ed doesn't lead to increased teen sex, usually the opposite actually.

I counsel a lot of teens on this. My approach is that there's only one way to guarantee that you won't get (or make someone) pregnant, or to guarantee that you won't catch or spread an STI, and that's abstinence. But if it's not going to be abstinence I have a lot of options to keep you as protected as possible.

25. samcraig macrumors P6

So chastity belts are too medieval?