What it should look like - A Designer's Perspective

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by p.dj, Sep 12, 2012.

1. p.dj macrumors newbie

Attached Files:

2. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

look a lot like the original, which I really like. I think the Bezel may be a little too thick for my liking and I think it is smaller on the new phone....hopefully. It could just look too thick b.c the side shot of the black version, the two-tone on the back goes up higher than the screen in the front.

3. Tino04 macrumors member

4. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Thats how I hoped the direction they would go, in line with the iPad.

It makes sense seeing as it easier to "grab" off the side or bed etc. Jobs liked the way you can "scoop" the iPad off an armchair due to its rounded edges.

5. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

OP an excellent thread! And only reason I say that is because there are plenty who are against the leaked mock ups and I would really love to see them come up with something better ;)

6. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

7. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

8. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I also expected the iPhone to follow a design similar to the iPad. Would of been better imo than the 4/4S. It's understandable why Apple didn't use the same shape for both devices, could prove too challenging and too restrictive down the road.

But also, once the iPad and iPhone become the same in design principal, then each time they did a redesign of the size/shape both the iPhone and iPad would have to fit within the same shape restrictions which could be challenging and limiting ... the iPhone would in essence decide what shape the iPad could take because the design components would have to work within the smaller size of the iPhone, which could inhibit future iPad designs.

Plus it takes the design predictability off one of the products, as the consumer would know they'll both have the same design, just a different size, you'd have to release redesigns of both items at once, if you didn't when a new iPhone was released people would know the next release of the iPad would have the same shape, that's less exciting.

9. Kukulcan, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012

Kukulcan macrumors 6502

Would definitely buy, especially if they would fit the 4" screen in the design without stretching (just reducing space for the upper parts).

Only problem, I had a much better grip on 4/4S, 3G/3GS tended to slip.

10. magnificent me macrumors member

magnificent me

The design is very nice. I like how it looks similar to the 1st iPhone. When things go pear shaped it is good to look back at where we started.

11. trlyka macrumors 6502a

trlyka

Yes, yes and yes! Oh how I wish it looked like that :(

12. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Thumbs up OP. Really nice mockup and I hope maybe sometime in the future, they make one like that. Patent the design! :)

They can use the tagline, "Back to Basics."

13. Lyn2012 macrumors regular

If the next IP looked like this, I'd buy it straight away. Another 4/4S rectangular brick and I'm off to another phone.

14. MacBookPro13" macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

15. lapeno macrumors 6502

16. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

It looks like Apple doing Samsung doing Apple. One thing Apple does not typically do is revert their design aesthetic. This mockup, as others have noted, looks like the 2G. Jonny Ive doesn't roll like that. I doubt very much pill shaped volume buttons will be back any time soon. Round is where it's at.

17. p.dj thread starter macrumors newbie

It currently is a 3.5" screen which in my opinion is still a good size regarding usability and overall phone size. But the concept could be adapted to other screen sizes too.

18. jmo1116 macrumors regular