What kind of a bank account can a minor get?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by gregdrummeraz, Sep 28, 2008.

1. gregdrummeraz macrumors 6502

I wont be 18 for awhile(soon though) and need a bank account right now. What can I get wiht out my parents cosigning? :cool:

2. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

so i am guessing that your parents dont want you to have a bank account? I am surprised you dont have a bank account by now? How do you buy things or spend money? You should be building up some savings through jobs and what not. I had a bank account at 14 maybe. Didnt really used it until 15-16. All my friends and everyone I know was the same. Those savings really helped me through college.

Just a thought.

3. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

4. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Don't you already have hundreds of thousands of dollars invested in the stock market, and at one time claimed to be a business owner? Surely you'd have a bank account already.

In all seriousness though, I'm pretty sure you would need your parents to go with you to the bank to open the account. EDIT: Apparently I'm wrong. Things must have changed in recent years. Years ago when I went to open my first bank account I needed my parents with me.

5. gregdrummeraz thread starter macrumors 6502

6. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

You might want to wait a couple of months to see how many banks we have left.

(In case you haven't heard a couple of banks have failed recently, the stockholders got screwed and the execs all left town wearing stunna shades.)

7. gregdrummeraz thread starter macrumors 6502

I def heard. I was in on fnm and fre. not quiet banks but kind of in the same pool :)

Thanks for not using "my sister" hard :D

8. avigalante macrumors 6502

avigalante

Classic; although I recollect him being 'connected to a business man in Beijing' and 'selling hundreds and thousands of iPhones'.

Anyhow - I'm fairly certain you can acquire a student account without the need to have a parent present to cosign.

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I will go with the short answer and get right to the point on your original question.

No a minor can not open an account. A minor can not sign a legal document and be held accountable for it. So no bank will ever issue you a bank account with out your legal guardian cosigning for it.

No if and or buts about it. You can not open an account with our your parents signing their name to it and as such your parents will have full access to your account until you are 18 and then you have to get them to sign away their rights to the account to give it to full control to you.

10. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Surely your stock broker (or your sister) could help you out.

11. gregdrummeraz thread starter macrumors 6502

Go play with your rubber ducky... :rolleyes:

12. gregdrummeraz thread starter macrumors 6502

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You make around $85500 a week selling unlocked iPhones from China. By now, you have well over $1 million, and that's growing by the week. Where are you keeping this money? :confused:

14. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

You were planning to pay for your luxury automobile how?

15. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

17. EV0LUTION macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

Bank of America has a decent thing for students (17+ I think) but no credit tell your 18

18. gregdrummeraz thread starter macrumors 6502

thats fine, I do not screw with credit.

But will the account from the provided link be good for me? moving 10k every week or two so would this be fine?

(NOTE! I did NOT say I was keeping 10k, its just my account fluctuation. :rolleyes:)

Thanks EVO! Your a good help and I appreciate it!

19. gregdrummeraz thread starter macrumors 6502

I told you what went on... Accept it and stop messing with me! :mad:

Cash money!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Really? Last time you sent me a message and called me a moron for informing you that your lie/story didn't work out.

But hey, if you have that much money, I'm sure any bank would take you regardless of age. Seriously. Banks like it when customers deposit money, without it, they can't make money for themselves. Tell them you have $1m stashed under your pillow and they'll give you any bank account you want, including a high-interest account for the high-rollers. ;)

21. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

I got a joint account with my Dad at 14. You just need an ID card from your state.

22. deorg macrumors 6502

deorg

I Live in peru, Lima, and I want to get an acount for using paypal, my aunt lives in miami Fl, (i dunno if that helps) but I do have a passport and visa, is there any debit acount I could own.???
    thx

23. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Classic. Lol. Well said. I'd imagine several more will take an almighty tumble as the markets settle.

Cheers