What kind of apps do you think the SDK will bring and at what price?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by docprego, Dec 17, 2007.

1. docprego macrumors 65816

Just curious what you think the SDK will mean to the iPhone. What kind of apps are likely to be available?

Also I think it is a no brainer that they will be purchased via iTunes, what is your prediction on price?

2. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I'm hoping for lots of free stuff, thats what I like about jailbreak apps!

3. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

I personally wouldn't mind paying a few bucks for some quality apps released by Apple.

Then again the app community is going to be booming.

4. docprego thread starter macrumors 65816

I think in the neighborhood of $10-$20 would be perfect but I think many will be much more.

I too wouldn't mind paying for quality apps, either from Apple or third parties.

What I would like to see:

1.Games!
    2.iWork for iPhone

I am sure there are more but that is what immediately comes to mind.

5. FunkyJunk macrumors regular

FunkyJunk

I'd like to see:
    Games
    A secure budget/money manager
    Exchange support
    UI tweaking (wallpaper behind icons, turning on/off icons e.g.)
    Bar code reader & price checker (with camera)
    IM client

etc.

I know some of these can already be done via jailbreaking, but it'll be nice to get official versions without having to do that.

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

VoIP for a start, and everything else is just the icing on the cake...

With a large amount of people having 3rd party apps on the iPhone Navizon(-like apps) should have greater accuracy as more triangulating things will be put everywhere :)

7. gr8ful macrumors member

I hope the apps go from free to no more than $20 for very high-end apps. I think we'll see:

eBook readers
    Outliners
    ToDo apps (GTD)

8. Wavell macrumors regular

Wavell

an iPhone Skype client would be just awesome, wouldn't it ? :)

that and IM would be the only 3rd party apps i'd be prepared to shell anything out for. Most of my other needs *should* (hopefully) be covered with apple software updates (Cam. Video, MMS etc) - fingers crossed that Apple do this before the SDK is released :rolleyes:

9. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

An official TomTom application. I'd quite happily pony up the same amount that WM/Symbian users pay for it...
    Plus additional usage in existing apps, like an MMS module, multiple recipients in SMS etc... they'd be worth some £'s to me...

10. csi24 macrumors member

csi24

I wouldn't mind seeing iChat on the iPhone. But I'd be willing to be pay for some nice apps to beef up the iPhone:D

11. docprego thread starter macrumors 65816

A few more I thought of:

-Language translation ( I know this can be accomplished on the web, but it would be nice to have it available on the device)
    -FTP client
    -Usenet newsreader
    -I second the GPS idea
    -1 Password (I use this on my Mac and love it)

12. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

iChat is a must, but I feel Apple owes it to their fans to include this free of charge... I mean seriously, putting the little IM chat icon and skinning the SMS to get ppl to use text messages is something a cell phone carrier would do.

Break free Apple, RUN! RUN WITH ALL YOUR MIGHT.

13. gotzero macrumors 68040

I am hoping for the following:

Browser that is not safari (cannot edit Joomla! etc)

Disk mode

Ability to pair to BT keyboard (this would allow me to leave the laptop at home even more)

Complete remote control of Macs (on local and mobile networks)

Productivity Apps (NeoOffice would be great)

GPS (not sure I would use that much, but I would pay for one to have when out of the car)

Ability to delete unused apps/icons (itunes, youtube, etc)

Ability to tether (I would pay through the teeth for this, monthly access for me is $60 right now with verizon BBCard)

I think all of these but the tethering are reasonably likely to happen with the SDK. Hopefully AT&T will realize there are people like me that are paying too much for mobile broadband that is not used enough, and would jump at the opportunity to add a profitable sum every month to their bill...

14. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Whatttttttt???

These apps will probably be free. I know for a fact that the majority of the people making SDK caps will not charge. I mean, look at jailbrake. Look at all these web apps out now. People won't do it for a profit, they'll do it for popularity in most part, and to have some fun.

15. docprego thread starter macrumors 65816

True but there will be commercial apps that the developers charge for, I think that is a certainty.

16. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I don't know about totally free apps. Even a nominal $1 might be necessary.

First off, if programmers have to buy into a certificate or membership fee, then that requires some compensation.

But the huge difference would be an iTunes automatic payment option, both coming from users and going to programmers.

If you have the chance to become a millionaire overnight by putting even a few dollars' pricetag on your application, I think that would be very tempting to many coders.

17. Project macrumors 68020

I honestly think that Apple will make SMS/iChat one app, for unified communications.

Note that the label for the icon = Text. The 'SMS' from the talk bubble can easily be removed. Also note that there is no character counter. And that it already has the iChat interface.

If the person you are sending a message to is signed into their IM network, they will receive it as an IM. If they are not, the message will be routed to their mobile phone as an SMS. Messages sent either way will be listed in the same conversation.

18. Manic Mouse macrumors 6502a

Manic Mouse

19. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Some free and some charged. Look at iPod games for the charging model.

20. docprego thread starter macrumors 65816

Wow nice list, I don't know how I left Adium, VLC and NeoOffice off mine. I use all three on my Mac and think they are great.

One more:
    Office 2008 for iPhone

21. nlivo macrumors 6502a

I would like iwork and would be willing to pay $10-$20 for it. I'd also love iChat but would be afraid it wouldn't support hotmail. I'm not an iPhone user, I'm an iPod touch user so I do believe they will make the iPhone apps available for a price.

22. docprego thread starter macrumors 65816

I think all the apps will be compatible with the iPhone or the Touch with the exception of those that require phone functionality.

23. GuillaumeB macrumors 6502

GuillaumeB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

also it will interesting to see new hardware playing with the os as well. Think about a gps, bar code reader, etc

24. Nall macrumors regular

If they allow this, anyway...

25. jeffreyfort macrumors member

i agree with the previous post -- I'd need TomTom or something just like it, AND voice dialing. Have both on my Treo and can't switch until those capabilities, at a minimum, are available.