What kind of car does Steve Jobs ride?

Kidman13

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2006
This is just really out of the blue but I was wondering if anyone knows what type of car Steve Jobs rides?

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
This has been discussed before, and at the time I don't believe anyone came up with an answer.

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Does he drive or have a chauffeur haul him around everywhere?

And a Merc kinda surprises me....I would've expected a Prius or some other hybrid.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Actually, I would have guessed an Audi before I saw the photos. He's a stylish bastard.

Oh, and he totally would have had one of the New Beetles, when they were actually new.

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
That is an SL55 AMG which is a very nice car, I like the blacked out wheels. I personally didn’t think Steve would drive that car and I never would have guessed it would be blacked out. Also I would never have someone else drive that car because it is one fun car to drive.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
If that's his car why is he getting in on the passenger side? It looks like the other guy is walking over to the driver's seat.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
hahah looks like drivers side to me ;) i forgott everyone else drives on the wrong side of the road... apart from Australia and Japan :)

true777

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2000
California, Austria, Arkansas
I believe he drives both a *silver* Mercedes SL (could be the 55AMG), and a silver E500 or similar (might be an S500, though I think it's the E). In addition they have a white Volvo station wagon.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
Stampyhead said:
If that's his car why is he getting in on the passenger side? It looks like the other guy is walking over to the driver's seat.
I wouldn't be surprised if he emplyed a driver trained in avoidance techniques. He must be quite a target. Besides, this way he can top up his RDF while he's on his way to a Stevenote without endangering other road users.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
When you are as wealthy as teh Steve is you dont want to drive yourself around. There is too much liability if you hit someone or something of that nature. I highly doubt teh Steve, or any other high paid exec (think Gates) actually drives themselves on a public road. Americans are sue happy, and that would be one big payoff if teh Steve or someone like him rear ended you, or worse.

Ed

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
Ed H said:
When you are as wealthy as teh Steve is you dont want to drive yourself around. There is too much liability if you hit someone or something of that nature. I highly doubt teh Steve, or any other high paid exec (think Gates) actually drives themselves on a public road. Americans are sue happy, and that would be one big payoff if teh Steve or someone like him rear ended you, or worse.
Ah, but under master/servant vicarious liability, you may be liable for the actions of your employee (making Steve liable for the driver). Also, he might incur direct liability for negligent supervision/hiring of the driver....

C

CompUser

I can't see Steve driving a mercedes SL with those fugly black after market wheels.

I heard a silver mercedes sedan.

In that stupid movie about him and bill gates he drives an SL- but that was like the 80's.

true777

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2000
California, Austria, Arkansas
btw -- I've seen his cars in his driveway quite a few times, as I happen to drive by there occasionally. They have no aftermarket modifications or the like, they are just nice silver Mercedes, very clean. He's had the same ones for several years now it seems.