What kind of contract with the iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by freelancer27, Aug 14, 2012.

1. freelancer27 macrumors member

Hi guys,

the release date is getting closer and I wanted to get prepared for the big day and my first iPhone.

I have a couple of questions here (I dont have a really deep knowledge of the American cell phone provider market) that I was hoping you could help me answering.

I would like to get a plan that has unlimited text and around 500minutes per month and of course data. Here I am not sure what the sweet spot would be. Given the 4G (LTE) connectivity of the iPhone I am not sure how much data would be required. I think I would use a lot of data (pandora, youtube, skype, etc).

So questions that I would need an answer for:

1. How much data would I need?
    2. What plan would satifsy my needs for data, text and talk
    3. I live in San Francisco right now and was wondering if there is any provider to prefer (I have currently Tmobile which offers a great 50USD deal but the speed of the internet is just too slow)
    4. Should I get the phone with a 2 year contract or without a contract and pick a different provider
    5. Are there differences of the contracts that are provided by Apple with the iPhone vs the contracts when the providers offer the iPhone?

Thanks very much.

2. batting1000 macrumors 604

Apple is not a carrier nor do they sell plans for the iPhone. They only make and sell the phones FOR USE on carriers.

(Only question I can answer. I only use Sprint so I can't offer any educated answers to the other ones.)

3. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

I have sprint too but I just wanted to take a moment and say congrats on your first iPhone and I hope it makes your life much more convenient!

Welcome to the (enormously large) club!

4. Radio macrumors 68000

5. bluedukies8 macrumors 6502

bluedukies8

1) This is really hard for anyone to tell you specifically. Most if not all carriers offer a data calculator that you can use to provide a rough estimate. http://www.google.com/search?q=cell...culator&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari Here is a just a quick search on Google. Put in rough but high estimates that way you can avoid overage.

2) A fellow MacRumor poster created http://www.usdataplans.com/ but it is only for AT&T & Verizon but will give you an idea for these carriers. The others will somewhat the same.

3) Again this will come down to a cost/benefit situation as like in #1. You can try out the networks to see what works best for you, just make sure you are paying attention to your coverage in at least the top 5 spots you would use/need it (I know, should be basic common sense but some people get too wrapped up in the new purchase to pay attention to cell coverage until they are passed the trial stage). The carriers also have coverage maps...but these are not always real life experiences. This is an area where you can use your friends....real world honest opinions....always good.

4) This is also a cost question only you can answer. Some will say it is better to not be tied down to a contract, it can be cheaper in the long run as well. Some will say the discount you get on the phone justifies the contract as they won't be switching and are happy with their carrier.

5) This was answered by a previous post above. Apple just offers the phone, but if you want the discounted price you have to select a carrier at time of purchase. Buying the phone out right (full price) will give you options if you are undecided at time of purchase.....though I would say having some idea would be good.

All in all you have some research ahead of you, but hopefully with a little better insight. If you come up with other questions or need further explanation, just let me know.

Good luck and enjoy!!!

6. freelancer27 thread starter macrumors member

THanks a ton for the feed back!