What kind of HDTV to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Yumunum, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Yumunum, Jun 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2011

Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

I feel embarrassed to say this, but I'm still using a non-HD TV. I'm going to be buying one though, but since I'm new to this, I need buying advice.

My budgets around $500. I want a TV that's (at the very least) 32-inches.

-I'll game (Xbox 360)
    -I'll use it as an external monitor for my MacBook
    -lots of photo editing (Photoshop)
    -casual use and lots of text documents

What do you guys recommend? What type of TV, where to buy, things I should be aware of?

EDIT: And where would you recommend buying the TV/what places have good deals, ect.?

2. 184550 Guest

IMO, Vizio is a great brand to start with. The price and quality are both good.

For the first two items, Vizio would be fine. However, I'm not sure for the last two you mention.

3. Yumunum thread starter macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Vizio does have good prices! Does anyone know what factors will make certain TVs better/worse for a computer minutes (mostly for photo editing)? I've read a lot about rectangular/square pixel problems and I'm still confused.

4. 184550 Guest

I have no idea. The only additional thing I can think of is that you'd want a high refresh rate. I would assume 120 or 240 would be ideal/ great for PS.

5. mugtastic macrumors regular

mugtastic

if budget is your main restriction i'd sacrifice features over screen size. instead of a top brand with 240 refresh rate and a usb input go for a lesser brand with larger size.

you may want to check out a set with 120 or 240 specs and play with the "motionflow' settings in the tv. all brands use some version of smoothing and the effect can be very distracting - like making film look like hd video. it's super weird and i turn it down on my tvs.

all lcds i've seen (expensive or budget) look amazing with an hd source and it's ridiculous how close you can sit to one. so if you buy too small a set for your viewing distance you'll lose a lot of the impact this tech can provide.

i don't know about using tvs as monitors but for gaming you'll probably want one that has a "game mode." most do, and this turns off all extra processing (like the smoothing) in order to eliminate lag from when you use the controller to when the effect happens in game.

6. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

If your cable box/whatever outputs hdmi/dvi why not look into a monitor? It seems that that is what you will be using it for at least half the time. Now I'm not sure what the complete pros/cons are of this are, but just another suggestion to look into.

7. ojaysimsanson macrumors member

I use my PC gaming desktop with an AMD 6950 to play crysis 2 and all kinds of games on my tv.
    I have a 58" Samsung Plasma 1080p 600HZ, best contrast that samsung offers.
    I have to say its reallly really sick, it looks soooo gooooood. Its hard to turn anything off, I also use my MBP on it a lot. I dont use photoshop much but I use solidworks modeling and my tv displays it really well.

For games you want a high refresh rate, high contrast ratios(static mostly but dynamic too) and you get to choose from LED, LCD or Plasma.
    I'll tell you right now, LED is a brand new technology, far from perfected (thats why OLEDs are coming out in a few years).
    I think Plasma is the best bang for the buck, the two "best" tvs last year were the Panasonic plasma, and samsung plasma(mine).
    Sony is expensive, nice tvs but expensive.
    Samsung in my opinion is the best, of course i mean bang for the buck, they have really nice @internet too, which you can watch youtube and all directly on the tv.
    Panasonic is good but the tvs look bulky compared to Sammy.
    Theres always sharp, toshiba and others. usually compare the specs and look at the price.
    good luck

8. Yumunum thread starter macrumors 65816

Yumunum

That TV sounds like a beast. I'd really like a plasma thanks to the high refresh rates, and viewing angles. Are there any specific places you'd recommend looking to buy one? Where could I find the best prices?