What kind of improvement from dell laptop to base 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joeshaw92, Mar 8, 2011.

1. joeshaw92 macrumors member

Hi guys, quick question, I'm just wondering what kind of improvement I can expect to see from upgrading from my current laptop. I can just about afford the base 13 inch with my university discount, so a more expensive one is not an option.

My current specs:

Dell inspiron 1318
    Pentium dual core Merom 1.86GHz 1MB cache
    2GB 667MHz RAM
    160GB 7200rpm HDD
    Intel X3100 gfx
    Windows 7 home premium
    2-3 hour battery life

IM wondering how much faster will it be, my current one isnt exactly too bad.

I was a bit disappointed when it was released as it would only have intel graphics, which in my experience are crap, but would it be able to play games such as GTA IV, COD, NFS carbon etc in a virtual machine?

My uses would be microsoft office, web browsing, film watching, DJing (will have decks hooked up), guessing itll all be fine for me needs?

Cheers

2. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

For what you will be using it for you will see a massive speed increase

3. zer0sum macrumors member

First things first...do you need OS X?

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

That right there is the single biggest improvement, IMO.

5. joeshaw92 thread starter macrumors member

No, I don't need it, but i've played around on a friends and i had hackintosh installed a few years back, I quite liked it, and have wanted one for a while. The simplicity of it etc also appeals to me, and today when I had to wait 30 mins for my laptop to boot because of updates is something i'd like to stop. That and the daily application crashes and slow itunes etc etc etc.

but when I ask how much of an improvement will it be, i mean not only how will it perform as hardware (ie games), but the experience as a whole

Cheers